- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
90's Azzedine Alaïa Vintage Green Bodysuit with Long Sleeves Small Size FW 1991
Shipping & Returns
- Shipping$50 Standard Parcel Shippingto United States 0, arrives in 8-17 days. We recommend this shipping type based on item size, type and fragility.Delivered by a parcel delivery service such as UPS, FedEx, or DHL.Ships From: Paris, France
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
About the Manufacturer
Master Couturier, King of Cling: legendary fashion designer Azzedine Alaïa (1935–2017) is known by many names, each referring to his unparalleled ability to mold fabric onto the female form in unexpected and radical ways. The Tunisian-born designer spent his entire life in relentless pursuit of a wholly distinctive and most-flattering fit.
“For me, fashion is the body,” said Alaïa. “I make clothes; women make fashion.”
Alaïa is credited with inventing the supermodel through his exclusive fashion shows, the body-con dress — which, quite literally, hugs the body and emphasizes and embraces every curve — and pioneering what industry professionals have taken to calling “slow fashion.” The designer openly rejected empty, of-the-moment fads as well as the structure of biannual seasons and instead took his time, unhurried by press and releasing collections at his own pace. Most importantly, Alaïa was a visionary when it came to traditional notions of femininity and sexuality. At a time when loose, soft silhouettes were the norm, Alaïa’s sexy, waist-cinching hourglass and body-con outfits were shocking.
Alaïa’s “body-conscious clothes,” wrote fashion critic Suzy Menkes, “seemed a deliberate challenge — throwing down a sexist gauntlet in a feminist world.”
While powerful women such as Madonna, Michelle Obama, Naomi Campbell and Christy Turlington wear Alaïa’s creations today, his origins were remarkably humble.
Born to a farming family, Alaïa always had a creative streak. As a young boy, he would flip through women’s fashion magazines and quickly became interested in the design of women's clothing. He went on to study sculpture at the School of Fine Arts in Tunis and later worked as a tailor for a dressmaker before he found work creating garments based on Parisian haute couture designs. The combination of his classical training in sculpture and practical experience as a tailor convinced Alaïa that fashion was his calling. In 1957, he moved to Paris and worked for Christian Dior for less than a week before being fired. From there, Alaïa secured a job with Guy Laroche and opened his own maison in the 1970s.
At his core, Alaïa was a couturier who cut and sewed his samples himself. He also experimented with zips, seams, unexpected materials, textures, animal prints and floral patterns like an artist. Today, Alaïa’s clothes look untouched by the passage of time and the various trends that have materialized since their debut; they are as fresh, stylish and stunning as ever. His garments are pop-culture icons in their own right: Cher Horowitz, played by Alicia Silverstone in 1995’s Clueless, exasperated with a perpetrator holding her at gunpoint, declares, “But this is an Alaïa!”
Vintage Alaïa evening dresses, skirts and other attire continue to influence contemporary designers such as Nicolas Ghesquière and Hervé Léger. Not only are his clothes timeless in their glamour, but they also represent the groundbreaking vision of an artist, one who was known to proclaim, “I am not a designer. I am a couturier.”
- By Gianni VersaceLocated in Paris, FRGIANNI VERSACE, Made in Italy, circa 90’s. Green cotton shirt with gold stitching and Medusa Heads gold buttons....Category
- By Yves Saint Laurent, Yves Saint Laurent Rive GaucheLocated in Paris, FRSAINT LAURENT Rive Gauche, Made in India, circa 80's. Silk tank top embroidered with sequins and blue beads. L...Category
1980s Tank Tops$258 Sale Price30% Off
- By Gianni VersaceLocated in Paris, FRGIANNI VERSACE, Made in Italy, 90’s. Black leather corset belt with metallic details and snap buttons. The size...Category
1990s Belts$352 Sale Price34% Off
- By Thierry MuglerLocated in Paris, FRTHIERRY MUGLER Activ, made in Italy, circa 90's. Cotton top with white sequins and a rounded neckline. "MUGLER ...Category
1990s Shirts$194 Sale Price35% Off
- By Azzedine AlaïaLocated in Paris, FRALAÏA, Made in Italy, FW1990. Bodycon black mini dress designed by Azzedine Alaïa for Fall-Winter 1990. Deep V n...Category
1990s Mini Dresses
You May Also Like
Early 2000s Bodysuits
Early 2000s Bodysuits
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Insured Global Delivery