- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Gianni Versace black lace and oroton metal chainmail strapless corset, fw 1999
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingShips From: London, United Kingdom
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
About the Manufacturer
The signature extravagance of legendary fashion designer Gianni Versace — forever aligned with glamour, sex, celebrity and spectacle — can overshadow the Italian couturier’s broad and deep engagement with history and culture. More than any designer before him, Versace mined celebrity, music and Pop art for inspiration, and his subversive, maximalist and unabashedly seductive designs infused high fashion with an entirely new ethos.
“I don’t believe in good taste,” Versace once explained. Instead, he had a sexy good time with fashion — as he did with life. Today, vintage Gianni Versace clothing, handbags and other accessories look astonishingly fresh and freshly relevant.
Gianni Versace was born in Calabria, Italy. His mother was a successful dressmaker who employed more than 40 seamstresses. As a child, little Gianni marveled at her workshop, which would become a university of sorts, where he learned the exceptional construction techniques that were at the foundation of his creative expression. In 1972, at age 25, he moved to Milan to work in fashion. He launched his first collection — and his label — in 1978, with his older brother Santo managing the business concerns. Soon, sister Donatella, whom Gianni dressed and took to discos when she was still a child, joined the family venture, where she had a creative role and managed enormously popular ready-to-wear lines such as Versus.
Vintage Versace has become catnip for modern fashion enthusiasts who seek out the now-iconic house codes that originated in the designs of the 1980s and 1990s. His glamorous and seductive apparel — the clingy skirts and slender, strappy party dresses, as well as the erotic magazine ads that publicized them — looms large, but Versace’s art and historical influences were also vast.
Versace was an art collector, and he took on commissions to create costumes for theatrical performances during the 1980s and spoke of looking to numerous cultures for inspiration. The New York Times noted in 1997 that the fashion industry “is now driven by contemporary culture because Mr. Versace made it that way.” Insiders consider his 1991/1992 Autumn/Winter runway show — which featured supermodels Christy Turlington, Cindy Crawford, Naomi Campbell and Linda Evangelista lip-synching George Michael’s “Freedom” — as the moment when the two worlds of fashion and pop culture became one, changing both forever.
Versace's adventurous spirit of design resulted in his creating jewel-toned prints rooted in Grecian motifs, Etruscan symbols, the Italian Baroque and Andy Warholʼs Marilyn Monroe. There were slinky dresses in Oroton, his patented chain-mail textile that draped like satin, and leather bondage ensembles. Sex sold, for both women and men. Wrote the late curator Richard Martin, “[Versace] became the standard-bearer of gay men’s fashion because he eschewed decorum and designed for desire.”
Following Versace’s tragic murder in 1997, Donatella took over the role of artistic director and continued to evolve the house codes with a twist of her feminine and feminist perspective. Today, Santo Versace is chief executive officer of Versace and Donatella is its chief creative officer.
- Gianni Versace beaded halterneck corset bra with crystal embellishment, fw 1989By Gianni VersaceLocated in London, GB▪ Gianni Versace silk corset bra ▪ Fully beaded with black and clear beads ▪ Crystal embellishment ▪ Halterneck ▪ Hook fastenings at centre back ▪ IT 42 - FR 38 - UK 10 - US 6 ▪...Category
- Gianni Versace black nylon and mesh beaded corset and skirt set, fw 1999By Gianni VersaceLocated in London, GB▪ Gianni Versace black beaded corset and skirt ▪ 100% Nylon ▪ Semi-transparent mesh panels ▪ Corset with boning ▪ Mid-length pencil skirt ▪ IT 40 - FR 36 - UK 8 - US 4 ▪ Fall-Wint...Category
- Gianni Versace black beaded mesh corset top with coral, fw 1999By Gianni VersaceLocated in London, GB▪ Gianni Versace black beaded mesh corset top ▪ Black and coral beading ▪ Coral branch embellishments ▪ Semi-sheer ▪ IT 40 - FR 36 - UK 8 - US 4 ▪ Fall-Winter 1999 ▪ 100% Nylon ▪ ...Category
- Gianni Versace black leather embellished bodysuit, S/S 1998By Gianni VersaceLocated in London, GBGianni Versace black leather embellished bodysuit Spring-Summer 1998Category
- Gianni Versace Autumn-Winter 1998 silver metal mesh corsetBy Gianni VersaceLocated in London, GBGianni Versace Autumn-Winter 1998 silver metal mesh corset with internal boning, silk lining and zip fastening on the side seamCategory
- Gucci by Frida Giannini black lycra multi-strapped bodysuit, ss 2010By GucciLocated in London, GB▪ Gucci black lycra multi-strapped bodysuit / bathing suit ▪ Designed by Frida Giannini ▪ Low open back ▪ Silver metal clasps with Gucci logo engraving ▪ Size Small ▪ Spring-Summer ...Category
Early 2000s Bodysuits
You May Also Like
Featured in Pride
1970s Pop Art Figurative Prints
Vintage 1960s Modernist Fashion Rings
1980s Pop Art Color Photography
1950s Contemporary Photography
2010s American Modern Chairs
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Insured Global Delivery