Jean Paul Gaultier red silk long sleeve corset, ss 2008
View Similar Items
Jean Paul Gaultier red silk long sleeve corset, ss 2008
- Dimensions:Marked Size: IT 40 - FR 36 - UK 8 (EU)
- Place of Origin:
- Seller Location:London, GB
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU140216994072
About the Designer
Jean Paul Gaultier
Endeavoring to tear down gender stereotypes and sartorial norms on the catwalk, making underwear outerwear, putting men in skirts and models of all shapes and sizes on the runway, the wildly provocative French fashion designer Jean Paul Gaultier has created transformational clothing designs that draw on numerous influences and boldly merge haute couture with street sensibility.
An only child raised in the suburbs of Paris, Gaultier didn’t have a formal fashion education. But he loved to sketch and was drawn to clothing, citing the corsets in his maternal grandmother’s closet as having a formative impact on his creative direction. He’s said that some of his earliest fashion work was for his teddy bear, and later he would send his sketches to designers he revered, including Pierre Cardin.
Gaultier began his career in 1970 as an assistant to Cardin, who admired the sketches the 18-year-old had sent for his appraisal. After Gaultier had his first runway show in 1976, featuring unconventional statements like pairing motorcycle jackets with ballerina skirts, it didn’t take long for his star to rise. His playful but exquisitely crafted reimaginings of classic Parisian styles — the striped mariner shirt, the trench coat — soon became recurring themes of Gaultier’s eponymous house, which he founded with his life partner and business associate Francis Menuge in 1982. “He was absolutely peerless for the longest time in the late ’80s and early ’90s,” fashion editor Tim Blanks told the New York Times. This was the period of Gaultier’s most iconic designs.
In 1984, Gaultier’s “Boy Toy” collection challenged men’s fashion with striped shirts and skirts — and sold around 3,000 of them. He was hailed for spectacle-laden runway shows and superb tailoring. Gaultier began to work with Madonna during the late 1980s, and, at the pop star’s request, he designed the costumes for her 1990 “Blond Ambition” tour. Her pink corset became a cultural touchstone of the era.
Gaultier continued to expand his brand, debuting his first couture collection in 1997 and creating costumes for film and stage. He was nominated for a César Award for Best Costume Design for The City of Lost Children (1995) and then a second for Luc Besson’s The Fifth Element (1997).
From 2003 to 2010, Gaultier was the creative director for Hermès. The first international exhibition of his work, “The Fashion World of Jean Paul Gaultier: From the Sidewalk to the Catwalk,” debuted in 2011 at the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts and toured to cities including Stockholm, New York City, Dallas and London. He presented his last ready-to-wear collection in 2014 and in 2020 stepped down from his couture line, ending his boundary-pushing, industry-shaping reign with a raucous show of more than 230 outfits formed from fragments of collections from across his 50-year career.
One of fashion’s enfants terribles, Gaultier has never sought out pretty for pretty’s sake. Instead, he has challenged the traditional ideals of beauty. Today, the designer's vintage clothing designs — experimental undergarments cut from lace and suede, leather-trimmed evening dresses and jackets of denim, plastic or striped jersey — are as punk as they are high fashion.
Browse a wide range of Jean Paul Gaultier clothing and accessories today on 1stDibs.
- Gucci by Tom Ford black leather 2-piece bra top, ss 2001By Gucci, Tom Ford for GucciLocated in London, GB▪ Gucci black leather bra top ▪ Designed by Tom Ford ▪ Sold by One of a Kind Archive ▪ Constructed from black lambskin leather ▪ Consists of two...Category
Early 2000s Italian Corsets
- Balmain by Christophe Decarnin black leather safety-pin corset, ss 2011By BalmainLocated in London, GB▪ Balmain black leather safety-pin corset ▪ Designed by Christophe Decarnin ▪ Adorned with silver metal barbell piercings and safety-pins ▪ Patch...Category
2010s French Corsets
- Vivienne Westwood gold crochet lurex long-sleeve cropped corset, fw 1993By Vivienne WestwoodLocated in London, GB▪ Vivienne Westwood corset ▪ Gold crocheted lurex yarn ▪ Built-in boned corset ▪ Long sleeves ▪ Wide neckline ▪ Cropped length ▪ Size Medium ▪ Fall-Winter 1993 ▪ Made in EnglandCategory
1990s English Corsets
- Vivienne Westwood lace screen printed denim corset and jeans, fw 1992By Vivienne WestwoodLocated in London, GBVivienne Westwood lace screen printed denim corset and high rise slim jeans Fall-Winter 1992Category
1990s British Corsets
- Balmain jacquard lame evening blazer, c. 2010By Balmain, Christopher DecarninLocated in London, GBA rare and highly sought after Balmain evening blazer from the Fall 2010 runway collection, designed by Christophe Decarnin. The blazer is in a high quality jacquard fabric with gold...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Lingerie
- Azzedine Alaia black beaded bodysuit S/S 1996By Azzedine AlaïaLocated in London, GBAzzedine Alaia black beaded bodysuit Spring-Summer 1996Category
1990s Italian Bodysuits
- Vintage Y2K Dolce and Gabbana silk cami topBy Dolce & GabbanaLocated in London, GB✨Vintage Y2K Dolce and Gabbana cami top ✨100% silk ✨Pristine conditions with all original labels attached ✨Size SCategory
Early 2000s Italian Blouses
- Torso Creations "Juliette" Style Corset Bodice w Metallic Applique & Puff SleeveBy Torso CreationsLocated in Gresham, ORTorso Creations "Juliette" Style Corset Bodice w Metallic Applique & Puff Sleeve: Silver eyelets at back with satin lacing. Boned for a smooth contour fit. Size 2-4Category
21st Century and Contemporary American Corsets
- Rare Spring 2003 Dolce & Gabbana Teal Blue Sequined One Piece Fringe BodysuitBy Dolce & GabbanaLocated in San Diego, CAAmazing and rare new with tags early 2000s (Spring 2003) DOLCE & GABBANA teal blue rhinestone sequin one piece bodysuit! This was look # 6 on the Runway. Plunging neckline with spark...Category
Early 2000s Italian Bodysuits
- 1980s Saint Laurent Hot Pink Silk Ruffled and Ribbon Tie CamisoleBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Gresham, OR1980s Yves Saint Laurent for ruffled and ribbon tie front camisole in hot pink silk with black pin dots. Bias ruffles at neck and shoulders. French size 38.Category
1980s French Blouses
- Vintage Christian Dior Black Camisole Blouse w/ Lace Trim Size MediumBy Christian DiorLocated in Palm Springs, CAThey don't make them like this anymore. A Christian Dior Camisole (a modern blouse) has the most beautiful imported black lace. Body is silk look made in a nylon/rayon/poly blend that is even machine washable. Beautiful small hand made rosette on center lace trim. Embroidered Dior...Category
1970s American Blouses
- Vivienne Westwood x Sock Shop 1992 Boulle Sheer Mesh Black BodysuitBy Vivienne WestwoodLocated in Jersey City, NJThe 1992 Vivienne Westwood x Sock Shop Boulle bodysuit is a must-have piece for any collector of iconic fashion. As seen on Vivienne Westwood's muse Sara Stockbridge. Featuring the i...Category
Recently ViewedView More
You Saw It at the Met Ball. Here’s What Camp Fashion Is Really About
This year's Costume Institute exhibition is all about embracing the eccentric.
Vivienne Westwood’s Punk Spirit Lives On in This ’90s Tartan Ensemble
The shorts suit in a mash-up of patterns with an asymmetrical cut speaks to the designer’s rebellious spirit.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery