Jean Paul Gaultier Silk/Linen Trouser Matching Set
About the Item
Jean Paul Gaultier
Endeavoring to tear down gender stereotypes and sartorial norms on the catwalk, making underwear outerwear, putting men in skirts and models of all shapes and sizes on the runway, the wildly provocative French fashion designer Jean Paul Gaultier has created transformational clothing designs that draw on numerous influences and boldly merge haute couture with street sensibility.
An only child raised in the suburbs of Paris, Gaultier didn’t have a formal fashion education. But he loved to sketch and was drawn to clothing, citing the corsets in his maternal grandmother’s closet as having a formative impact on his creative direction. He’s said that some of his earliest fashion work was for his teddy bear, and later he would send his sketches to designers he revered, including Pierre Cardin.
Gaultier began his career in 1970 as an assistant to Cardin, who admired the sketches the 18-year-old had sent for his appraisal. After Gaultier had his first runway show in 1976, featuring unconventional statements like pairing motorcycle jackets with ballerina skirts, it didn’t take long for his star to rise. His playful but exquisitely crafted reimaginings of classic Parisian styles — the striped mariner shirt, the trench coat — soon became recurring themes of Gaultier’s eponymous house, which he founded with his life partner and business associate Francis Menuge in 1982. “He was absolutely peerless for the longest time in the late ’80s and early ’90s,” fashion editor Tim Blanks told the New York Times. This was the period of Gaultier’s most iconic designs.
In 1984, Gaultier’s “Boy Toy” collection challenged men’s fashion with striped shirts and skirts — and sold around 3,000 of them. He was hailed for spectacle-laden runway shows and superb tailoring. Gaultier began to work with Madonna during the late 1980s, and, at the pop star’s request, he designed the costumes for her 1990 “Blond Ambition” tour. Her pink corset became a cultural touchstone of the era.
Gaultier continued to expand his brand, debuting his first couture collection in 1997 and creating costumes for film and stage. He was nominated for a César Award for Best Costume Design for The City of Lost Children (1995) and then a second for Luc Besson’s The Fifth Element (1997).
From 2003 to 2010, Gaultier was the creative director for Hermès. The first international exhibition of his work, “The Fashion World of Jean Paul Gaultier: From the Sidewalk to the Catwalk,” debuted in 2011 at the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts and toured to cities including Stockholm, New York City, Dallas and London. He presented his last ready-to-wear collection in 2014 and in 2020 stepped down from his couture line, ending his boundary-pushing, industry-shaping reign with a raucous show of more than 230 outfits formed from fragments of collections from across his 50-year career.
One of fashion’s enfants terribles, Gaultier has never sought out pretty for pretty’s sake. Instead, he has challenged the traditional ideals of beauty. Today, the designer's vintage clothing designs — experimental undergarments cut from lace and suede, leather-trimmed evening dresses and jackets of denim, plastic or striped jersey — are as punk as they are high fashion.
Browse a wide range of Jean Paul Gaultier clothing and accessories today on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Scottsdale, AZ
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
- Gianfranco Ferre Crushed Brown Velvet PantsBy Gianfranco FerréLocated in Scottsdale, AZAmazing pair of Gianfranco Ferre pants in a rich chocolate brown velvet! High rise fit with a wide leg silhouette. Super soft crushed velvet in ...Category
1990s Italian Wide Leg Pants
- Gianni Versace 1990s Miami Print JeansBy Gianni VersaceLocated in Scottsdale, AZFeel that Miami heat in these show stopping jeans by Gianni Versace Couture! Circa 1990s, these statement pants will surely turn heads and be the perfect ad...Category
1990s Italian Jeans
- Versace #GREEK Puzzle Print JeansBy Donatella Versace, Donatella Versace for Gianni VersaceLocated in Scottsdale, AZEveryone needs a pair of statement pants in their wardrobe! These Versace jeans speak for themselves. They are featured in a slightly stretch cotton, red, green, and yellow new #GREE...Category
2010s Italian Jeans
- Versace Classic V2 Sequin JeansBy V2 Versace ClassicLocated in Scottsdale, AZThese are an electric pair of Versace jeans from their Classic V2 Collection. They feature a button-closure, high-rise, straight leg, and a sequined crosshatched pattern in yellow, green, and purple. These are the perfect pair of pants for a night out. Pair with some Yves Saint Laurent heels and a Paco Rabanne chainmail...Category
1990s Italian Jeans
- Mugler Black Scuba Bicycle LeggingsBy MuglerLocated in Scottsdale, AZThese Mugler stirrup leggings are going to become your next go-to piece no matter the time of year! Mugler presents their take on the classic black stirrup legging with this elevated style. The most versatile and flattering black legging with openings at the heel is complimented by intricate embossings in the fabric that enhance the figure and really take these up a notch. This style of pants has become an iconic Mugler silhouette in recent years and is truly as flattering and unique as it is versatile and wearable. Dress these up with a Versace corset, some Manolo kitten heels and and a Dior saddle bag or opt for an every day look and pair these with a Moschino tee...Category
- Moschino 1990s Casino Print JeansBy MoschinoLocated in Scottsdale, AZIntroducing the stunning Moschino 1990s Casino Print Jeans, a timeless and playful piece that captures the essence of 90s fashion with its eye-catching design and classic silhouette....Category
1990s Italian Jeans
- Valentino pyjama style black nude floral print blouse wide dress pants jumpsuitBy ValentinoLocated in Paris, FRA beautiful two piece set by Valentino consisting of a button up blouse and wide leg turned up pants Loose fitting pyjama style Black and nude floral print with white piping Two poc...Category
2010s Italian Blouses and Tops
- 1980S ISSEY MIYAKE Tan & Brown Wool Blend Oversized Shirt Pleated Pants EnsembleBy Issey MiyakeLocated in New York, NY1980S ISSEY MIYAKE Tan & Brown Wool Blend Oversized Shirt Pleated Pants EnsembleCategory
- S/S 2002 Valentino Garavani Sheer Black Beaded Lace Flare Pants Crop Top SetBy Valentino Garavani, ValentinoLocated in Philadelphia, PAPresenting a gorgeous black lace Valentino pant set. From the Spring/Summer 2002 collection, a version of this amazing set debuted on the season’s runway as part of look 74 and appeared in the season's ad campaign on Caroline Ribeiro, captured by Steven Meisel. This set consists of a crop top and matching pair of flared pants. The cropped top in this set features spaghetti straps, quilted panels at the front and back, and lace details on either side. The matching pants in this set feature a wide flare/bell bottom...Category
Early 2000s Italian Wide Leg Pants
- Gianni Versace Couture suit shirt and pants vintage 90sBy Gianni Versace CoutureLocated in Rubiera, REGianni Versace Couture vintage 90s Shirt and pants suit Silk shirt "Atelier Versace" , long sleeves, medusa buttons on neck and cuffs. Size IT 42 Made in Italy 100% silk Flat measur...Category
1990s Italian Shirts
- BDG. Cigarette Denim Jeans Pants, Size 28Located in Beverly Hills, CAProduct details: The jeans feature dark blue wash denim and skinny fit.Category