- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Christian Dior Boutique Paris Marie Antoinette Inspired Graphic T-Shirt 2000
About the Item
- Dimensions:Marked Size: See Description (NA)
- Place of Origin:
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:Portland, OR
- Reference Number:Seller: 75661stDibs: LU223217272692
When Christian Dior launched his couture house, in 1946, he wanted nothing less than to make “an elegant woman more beautiful and a beautiful woman more elegant.” He succeeded, and in doing so the visionary designer altered the landscape of 20th century fashion.
Dior was born in Granville, on the Normandy coast, in 1905. His prosperous haute bourgeois parents wanted him to become a diplomat despite his interest in art and architecture. However, they agreed to bankroll an art gallery, which Dior opened in 1928 in Paris with a friend.
This was the start of Dior’s rise in the city’s creative milieu, where he befriended Pablo Picasso and Jean Cocteau. After seven years as an art dealer, Dior retrained as a fashion illustrator, eventually landing a job as a fashion designer for Robert Piguet, and in 1941, following a year of military service, he joined the house of Lucien Lelong. Just five years later, with the backing of industrialist Marcel Boussac, the ascendant Dior established his own fashion house, at 30 avenue Montaigne in Paris.
Just two years after the end of World War II, the fashion crowd and the moribund haute couture industry were yearning, comme tout Paris, for security and prosperity, desperate to discard the drab, sexless, utilitarian garb imposed by wartime deprivation. They needed to dream anew.
And Dior delivered: He designed a collection for a bright, optimistic future. “It’s quite a revolution, dear Christian!” exclaimed Carmel Snow, the prescient American editor-in-chief of Harper’s Bazaar, famously proclaiming, “Your dresses have such a new look.” The press ran with the description, christening Dior’s debut Spring/Summer haute couture collection the New Look. “God help those who bought before they saw Dior,” said Snow. “This changes everything.”
Dior’s collection definitively declared that opulence, luxury and femininity were in. His skirts could have 40-meter-circumference hems, and outfits could weigh up to 60 pounds. They were cut and shaped like architecture, on strong foundations that molded women and “freed them from nature,” Dior said. Rather than rationing, his ladies wanted reams of fabric and 19-inch waists enforced by wire corsets, and the fashion world concurred. The debut got a standing ovation.
In the subsequent decade, Paris ruled as the undisputed fashion capital of the world, and Christian Dior reigned as its king. With the luxuriously full skirts of his New Look, suits and his drop-dead gorgeous evening dresses and ball gowns worthy of any princess, Dior gave women the gift of glamour they’d lost in the miserable years of war.
On 1stDibs, find an exquisite range of vintage Christian Dior clothing, jewelry, handbags and other items.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Beaverton, OR
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
- Aananda Vintage Navy Blue Cotton Dress Tunic with Marigold Embroidery, 1960sLocated in Portland, ORThis is a wonderful navy blue cotton Aananda vintage 1960's dress with marigold trim and beautiful marigold fine embroidery. There are fabulous detailed metal buttons in the front an...Category
1960s Indian Day Dresses
- Escada Margaretha Ley Vintage Gold Yellow Silk Blouse Top w Keyhole & Black TrimBy Escada, Escada Margaretha LeyLocated in Portland, ORThis unique golden yellow silk blouse by Escada is really beautiful, and it is made with the care to detail you would expect from the vintage Mar...Category
1980s German Blouses
- Valentino Garavani 2006 Gold Fine Lace Blouse w Wide Collar & Cuffs DocumentedBy ValentinoLocated in Portland, ORThis is a stunning vintage Valentino gold fine lace evening blouse. This incredible top was designed by Valentino Garavani for his Fall Winter 2006 collection. 2006 was the last year...Category
Early 2000s Italian Blouses
- Vintage Choli or Saree Blouse in Maroon and Ivory Silk Gold Metallic EmbroideryLocated in Portland, ORThis is a beautiful vintage Choli or Saree/Sari top is made in a creamy ivory silk and has intricate embroidery over the entire front. This lovely ol...Category
Early 20th Century Indian Blouses$350 Sale Price29% Off
- Dynasty 1960s Vintage Silk Chinese Evening Jacket New in Original Box With TagsBy DynastyLocated in Portland, ORThis beautiful champagne silk jacket from Dynasty was purchased at Mandarin Textiles Limited in Hong Kong in the 1960's and is still in its original box! This lovely evening jacket...Category
1860s Hong Kong Jackets
- 1970s YSL Yves Saint Laurent Vintage Red Blue & Yellow Plaid Silk BlouseBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Portland, ORThis vintage late 1970's Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche blouse is in a pretty red, blue and yellow plaid silk. YSL created some of the most beautiful blouses and they are as wearable...Category
1970s European Blouses
- Sex and The City 2, Iconic John Galliano for Christian Dior Newsprint DressBy Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in New York, NYBeing offered is the iconic John Galliano for Christian Dior Autumn/Winter 2000-2001 Newsprint Dress worn by Sarah Jessica Parker and lent by Vintage Luxury N.Y. for Sex and the City 2, the movie. The iconic Dior newsprint dress...Category
Early 2000s French Cocktail Dresses
- Christian Dior by John Galliano floral embroidered silk evening dress, fw 1997By Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in London, GB▪ Important and rare Christian Dior mint silk hand-embroidered evening dress ▪ Designed by John Galliano for his first RTW collection at Dior ▪ Floral embroidery inspired by antique Chinese shawls...Category
1990s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- John Galliano for Christian Dior S/S 2004 Mixed Print Silk Slip DressBy Christian Dior, John GallianoLocated in Water Mill, NYA gorgeous silk dress from John Galliano for Christian Dior in a pink, green and off white mixed pattern of elaborate paisleys and abstract shapes. The slip style dress has spaghetti...Category
1990s French Day Dresses
- S/S 2004 Christian Dior John Galliano Black 20's Style Drop Waist Silk DressBy Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in Yukon, OKDESIGNER: S/S 2004 Christian Dior by John Galliano CONDITION: Good- no holes or stains FABRIC: Silk COUNTRY: France SIZE: F-38 MEASUREMENTS; provided as a courtesy only- not a guaran...Category
Early 2000s French Mini Dresses
- UNWORN Versace 2003 Nude Silk Georgette Lace Up Gown Dress 40 seen on BellaBy VersaceLocated in Switzerland, CHGorgeous nude evening gown inspired by the Grecian goddesses by VERSACE Fall 2003/2004 Collection One of the most famous Versace dresses ever created by Versace - worn by topmodels, ...Category
Early 2000s Italian Ball Gowns
- John Galliano for Christian Dior Blush Pink Silk Seam GownBy Christian Dior, John GallianoLocated in Water Mill, NYA stunning Christian Dior gown in a pale pink silk. A long sleeveless silhouette it has an asymmetrical neckline and seaming. The dress skims the body through the hips, then becomes...Category
1990s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Jean Paul Gaultier Runway Sheer Nude Mesh Maxi Dress, Spring-Summer 2001By Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Geneva, CHThe Look No 67 (see pictures 2 & 3) of the 2001 Jean Paul Gaultier Spring-Summer runway show, this amazing dress is cut from stretchy ribbed-mesh and refined nude silk chiffon. The m...Category
Early 2000s Italian Maxi Dress
- Christian Dior by John Galliano crimson torn silk bias cut dress, fw 2000By Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in London, GB▪ Christian Dior crimson red silk evening dress ▪ Designed by John Galliano ▪ Torn effect ▪ Multiple fabric buttons at the side seam ▪ Spaghetti straps ▪ Straight across neckline...Category
Early 2000s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Christian Dior by John Galliano floral silk double-layered slip dress, ss 2005By Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in London, GB▪ Christian Dior silk chiffon double-layered slip dress ▪ Designed by John Galliano ▪ Edged with lace and nylon mesh ▪ Floral printed undress with a shorter nude dress layered on to...Category
Early 2000s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Christian Dior by John Galliano purple glass bead choker necklace, ss 1998By Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in London, GB▪ Christian Dior purple glass bead choker necklace ▪ Designed by John Galliano ▪ 18-strands of purple glass beads with 3 looped strands ▪ Larg...Category
1990s French Neckties
- Christian Dior Vintage Lipstick Red Sleeveless Flower Print 1990s Vest WaistcoatBy Christian DiorLocated in San Diego, CABeautiful vintage 90s CHRISTIAN DIOR lipstick red flower embroidered vest! Chic fitted tailored bodice looks amazing on! Four fabric covered buttons u...Category
1990s French Vests
- Christian Dior Paris Black Silk Floral Lace Top TunicBy Christian DiorLocated in Beverly Hills, CAChristian Dior Black Silk Floral Lace Top Tunic Product details: Sleeveless with u- neck cut line Includes one black silk under top and one see- through floral lace top Made in ItalyCategory
21st Century and Contemporary French Blouses and Tops$520 Sale Price20% Off
- Christian Dior White and Black Sweater Top, Size LargeBy Christian DiorLocated in Beverly Hills, CAProduct details: Off white, cream and black wool blended top designed by Christian Dior in France. The top features collar, four front button closure, 3/4 sleeves length (16 inches ...Category
Late 20th Century French Shirts$440 Sale Price20% Off
- Christian Dior Black and White Blouse Tunic, Size 36By Christian DiorLocated in Beverly Hills, CAProduct details: The top is made out of 100% cotton, it features black and white striped print with front button half down closure.Category
2010s Tunics$600 Sale Price20% Off
- Christian Dior Cream Cotton Long Sleeve Tunic Top Size 6By Christian DiorLocated in Beverly Hills, CAProduct details: Size FR 38, US6. Featuring cream/ ivory with brown, green and pink geometric and abstract pattern, front button closure, button closure on the bottom of the sleeves...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Tunics$440 Sale Price20% Off
- Christian Dior 'All Access' Graphic Long-SleeveBy Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in Scottsdale, AZFor the ultimate Dior lover! Designed by Galliano circa 2002, this bright yellow long-sleeve shirt features a printed cartoon style motif of a button up shirt with pink logo buttons,...Category
Early 2000s French T-Shirts
Recently ViewedView More
Too Soon for the Return of ’90s Fashion? As If
There's a renewed appreciation for the era's aesthetic, perhaps most notably among millennials seeking authentic, easy style.
14 Iconic Luxury Handbags and the Stories behind Them
When the name of a bag is as well-known as its brand, you know it's a classic.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery