- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Jean Paul Gaultier Face Jacquard Denim Punk Fight Racism People Top AW 1992 Vest
About the Item
- Dimensions:Length: 18.9 in (48 cm)Bust: 18.51 in (47 cm)
- Seller Location:PARIS, FR
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU2771215839402
Jean Paul Gaultier
Endeavoring to tear down gender stereotypes and sartorial norms on the catwalk, making underwear outerwear, putting men in skirts and models of all shapes and sizes on the runway, the wildly provocative French fashion designer Jean Paul Gaultier has created transformational clothing designs that draw on numerous influences and boldly merge haute couture with street sensibility.
An only child raised in the suburbs of Paris, Gaultier didn’t have a formal fashion education. But he loved to sketch and was drawn to clothing, citing the corsets in his maternal grandmother’s closet as having a formative impact on his creative direction. He’s said that some of his earliest fashion work was for his teddy bear, and later he would send his sketches to designers he revered, including Pierre Cardin.
Gaultier began his career in 1970 as an assistant to Cardin, who admired the sketches the 18-year-old had sent for his appraisal. After Gaultier had his first runway show in 1976, featuring unconventional statements like pairing motorcycle jackets with ballerina skirts, it didn’t take long for his star to rise. His playful but exquisitely crafted reimaginings of classic Parisian styles — the striped mariner shirt, the trench coat — soon became recurring themes of Gaultier’s eponymous house, which he founded with his life partner and business associate Francis Menuge in 1982. “He was absolutely peerless for the longest time in the late ’80s and early ’90s,” fashion editor Tim Blanks told the New York Times. This was the period of Gaultier’s most iconic designs.
In 1984, Gaultier’s “Boy Toy” collection challenged men’s fashion with striped shirts and skirts — and sold around 3,000 of them. He was hailed for spectacle-laden runway shows and superb tailoring. Gaultier began to work with Madonna during the late 1980s, and, at the pop star’s request, he designed the costumes for her 1990 “Blond Ambition” tour. Her pink corset became a cultural touchstone of the era.
Gaultier continued to expand his brand, debuting his first couture collection in 1997 and creating costumes for film and stage. He was nominated for a César Award for Best Costume Design for The City of Lost Children (1995) and then a second for Luc Besson’s The Fifth Element (1997).
From 2003 to 2010, Gaultier was the creative director for Hermès. The first international exhibition of his work, “The Fashion World of Jean Paul Gaultier: From the Sidewalk to the Catwalk,” debuted in 2011 at the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts and toured to cities including Stockholm, New York City, Dallas and London. He presented his last ready-to-wear collection in 2014 and in 2020 stepped down from his couture line, ending his boundary-pushing, industry-shaping reign with a raucous show of more than 230 outfits formed from fragments of collections from across his 50-year career.
One of fashion’s enfants terribles, Gaultier has never sought out pretty for pretty’s sake. Instead, he has challenged the traditional ideals of beauty. Today, the designer's vintage clothing designs — experimental undergarments cut from lace and suede, leather-trimmed evening dresses and jackets of denim, plastic or striped jersey — are as punk as they are high fashion.
Browse a wide range of Jean Paul Gaultier clothing and accessories today on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: PARIS, France
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- Jean Paul Gaultier Striped Tuxedo Oxford Vintage 80s 90s Black Crop Top VestBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in PARIS, FRJean Paul Gaultier vest! Gaultier Jean`s buttons 2 front pockets VERY GOOD Conidtion. SIZE Woman: medium Man:XS to small. Marked size: medium. Model`s size in photos: XS. Length: 3...Category
Early 2000s Italian Tank Tops
- Jean Paul GAULTIER 1994 Japanese Japan Letter Text Junior Symbol Couture DressBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in PARIS, FRThis vintage Jean Paul Gaultier dress is from the Spring Summer 1994 collection, one of his most referenced collection. EXCELLENT...Category
1990s Italian Evening Dresses
- Jean Paul Gaultier Erotic Mesh Sexy Rien ne va plus text Card Poker T-shirt TopBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in PARIS, FRErotic Couture top by Jean Paul Gaultier! Rien ne va plus - Nothing goes (In French) Sexy women and man dancing in cards :) Transparent. EXCELLENT c...Category
Early 2000s Italian T-Shirts
- Jean Paul Gaultier Le Grande Voyage Bull Pegasus Maori Tribal Top Jacket BlazerBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in PARIS, FRThis vintage Jean Paul Gaultier jacket is from the Fall Winter 1994 collection called "Le Grande Voyage", one of his most referenc...Category
- Vintage Gianni Versace Couture Beatles Oxford British Royalty Shirt Jacket VestBy Gianni Versace Couture, Gianni VersaceLocated in PARIS, FRWonderful vintage vest by Gianni Versace! Versace Gold Medusa buttons! Super crazy pattern with: Beatles Sex Pistols Rock Royalty Anarchy in the U.K. Musical instruments British fl...Category
Early 2000s Italian Vests
- Gianni Versace Jeans Couture Fall 1992 Vintage Bondage Medusa Western Top WestBy Gianni Versace Couture, Gianni VersaceLocated in PARIS, FRThis spectacular vintage Gianni Versace vest from the infamous bondage inspired Fall 1992 collection. Made with large tooled and studded flaps with de...Category
Early 2000s Italian Vests
- Vivienne Westwood floral silk and power mesh corset, fw 1995By Vivienne WestwoodLocated in London, GB▪ Vivienne Westwood floral silk corset ▪ Black power mesh ▪ Centre-back zip fastening ▪ UK 8 - EU 36 - US 4 ▪ Fall-Winter 1995Category
1990s British Corsets
- Jean Paul Gaultier S/S 1993 Vintage Denim Bra Bustier Corset Lace Up Zipper TopBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Naples, FLJean Paul Gaultier Vintage Denim Bra Bustier Corset Lace Up Zipper Top S/M Please note size tag has been removed.Category
- Vivienne Westwood black knitted sweater top, skirt and socks set, fw 1994By Vivienne WestwoodLocated in London, GB▪ Vivienne Westwood black crochet-knit 3-piece set ▪ Short-sleeved wool sweater top ▪ High-slit cotton skirt with draw string faste...Category
1990s Italian Suits, Outfits and Ensembles
- Vivienne Westwood grey corset with Thomas Gainsborough dog print, fw 1992By Vivienne WestwoodLocated in London, GB▪ Rare Vivienne Westwood grey corset top ▪ Dog print from a detail of Thomas Gainsborough's - Tristam and Fox c. 1775–85 ▪ Red bow applique ▪ Centre-ba...Category
1990s British Corsets
- Vivienne Westwood Spring-Summer 1992 brown leather corset and mini skirtBy Vivienne WestwoodLocated in London, GBVivienne Westwood Spring-Summer 1992 brown leather corset with boning, zip fastening and two long tie-up sashes at the front. High waisted mini skirt with slit at the rear.Category
1990s British Skirt Suits
- Vivienne Westwood black velvet corset and pants ensemble, fw 1992By Vivienne WestwoodLocated in London, GBVivienne Westwood black velvet corset and pants ensemble. Fall-Winter 1992Category
1990s British Suits, Outfits and Ensembles
- Vivienne Westwood blue checked wool skirt suit, fw 1994By Vivienne WestwoodLocated in London, GBVivienne Westwood blue and yellow checked wool mini skirt and blazer jacket suit. Fall-Winter 1994Category
1990s Italian Skirt Suits
- Vivienne Westwood Museum Hercules and Omphale François Boucher CorsetBy Vivienne WestwoodLocated in San Diego, CABoned corset in a printed "Hercules and Omphale" by François Boucher, 1735. Part of the Vivienne Westwood collection on display at The Metropol...Category
1990s British Blouses
- S/S 1997 Gucci by Tom Ford Sheer Black Viscose Pocket GG Clasp TopBy Tom Ford for Gucci, GucciLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a sheer collared long sleeve Gucci top/cardigan, designed by Tom Ford. Classically Tom Ford for Gucci, this sheer blouse features an open front connected by an ...Category
1990s Italian Blouses$2,796 Sale Price20% OffFree Shipping
- Jean Paul Gaultier Denim Pin WaistcoatBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in London, GBJean Paul Gaultier Denim Pin Waistcoat made in France. Jean Paul Gaultier disrupted the rarefied world of couture with his transgressive vision of ...Category
1990s French Vests
- Vintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Constellation Face Optic Illusion Shirt Blazer JacketBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Constellation Face Optic Illusion Shirt Blazer Jacket Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust ...Category
20th Century French Blouses and Tops
- 1990S JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Blue & White Striped Jersey Lace Cut Out BlazerBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in New York, NY1990S JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Blue & White Striped Jersey Lace Cut Out BlazerCategory
1990s French Shirts
- Jean Paul Gaultier New Hourglass Jacket 1980sBy Jean Paul Gaultier, Junior GaultierLocated in Water Mill, NYA fabulous leopard print denim sleeveless vest, jacket, top from Jean Paul Gaultier's Junior Gaultier line. It is a take on the jean jacket with a collar, button chest pockets, gold ...Category
1980s Italian Vests
- Jean Paul Gaultier New Silk Jacket Top 1990sBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Water Mill, NYA spectacular black silk jacket/blouse with a multitude of detail by Jean Paul Gaultier. It has a stand up collar, a V front and back yoke which along with the balloon sleeves' wide...Category
1990s French Jackets
- A French Evening Bolero In Fuschia Wool Embroidered With Sequins Circa 1940Located in Toulon, FRCirca 1938/1942 France Amazing evening bolero, possibly Haute Couture Worth (oral transmission of the progeny), made of fuschia wool twill Circa 1938/1942. Curved bolero with scabb...Category
1940s French Corsages
- Early 1990s Betsey Johnson Red Blue Green Taffeta Plaid Vintage Cropped JacketBy Betsey JohnsonLocated in San Diego, CAChic early 90s BETSEY JOHNSON red, blue and green plaid cropped taffeta bolero jacket! Features a classic plaid that is perfect any time of year. Flattering pleating detail on back f...Category
1990s American Cropped Jackets$440 Sale Price20% Off
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery