Margiela white cotton digital printed t-shirt, SS 2010
About the Item
Maison Martin Margiela
Belgian designer Martin Margiela (b. 1957) — whose life, career, clothing designs and vintage shoes have become cult-collector obsessions — pushed those who attended his shows outside their comfort zones. In the years following his maison's 1988 debut, he toyed with creative and aesthetic paradoxes that persist in fashion today.
Consider the Spring/Summer 2001 shirt patchworked from vintage clothing labels, or his famous corset dresses made from tailoring dummies, from his Fall/Winter 1997 line. Or his oversize collection for Fall/Winter 2000. In 1992, Margiela told Dépêche Mode magazine, “My clothes appeal to women of a certain mindset rather than of a specific age or physique.”
Born in Genk, Belgium, in 1957, Margiela knew he wanted to be a fashion designer after catching glimpses of Parisian fashion on TV as a child. Although his parents discouraged this career choice as an oddly funny aspiration, Margiela enrolled in the fashion program of the Royal Academy of Fine Arts Antwerp. There, he befriended and graduated a year ahead of the Antwerp Six — the acclaimed group of Belgian fashion designers comprising Dries Van Noten, Walter Van Beirendonck, Ann Demeulemeester, Marina Yee, Dirk Bikkembergs and Dirk Van Saene.
Like many of his contemporaries in the 1980s, Margiela understood Paris fashion but felt a deep resonance with the deconstructed beauty espoused by Japanese designers Yohji Yamamoto and Rei Kawakubo, of Comme des Garçons. Margiela’s fascination with Japan influenced many of his earliest collections and designs, from a dress pieced together from broken plates to his iconic Tabi boots, inspired by the split-toe Japanese worker’s shoe, which dates back to the 15th century. He decided to launch his own line while working for renowned Paris designer Jean Paul Gaultier.
Margiela, Gaultier has often stated, was his best assistant. Even then, the 2019 film Martin Margiela: In His Own Words suggests, he was acutely aware of the widening gulf between the art and the business of fashion.
Margiela’s debut show was nothing short of spectacular. Set in a packed Café de la Gare in the still-seedy Marais district, it was also scandalous to the Parisian fashion set of the time. The designer tore up the conventions of contemporary couture presentations, most notably having his models, plucked from the streets and wearing ink-blotted Tabis, wend their way through the crowd. The show redefined the concept of the runway in a way that would later inspire such designers as Alexander McQueen and Demna Gvasalia.
While the notoriously private designer retired from fashion in 2009, for many Maison Martin Margiela collectors, his pieces capture the irreverence of the postwar, post-punk late 1980s and ’90s. Katy Rodriguez, cofounder of the cult vintage fashion shop Resurrection, is among those who felt a connection to Margiela’s clothing in the subliminal challenges it posed to the time’s beauty norms.
“Growing up in San Francisco and coming out of the end of punk rock, not wanting to be objectified, not wanting to be seen as a sexual object, not wanting your value to be just because you’re pretty — all those clothes played into all of that,” she says. “It really was a reflection of the kind of world the young people I knew at the time wanted to live in.”
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: London, United Kingdom
- Return PolicyThis item cannot be returned.
- Vivienne Westwood cherub print wide cut t-shirt, ss 1991By Vivienne WestwoodLocated in London, GB▪ Vivienne Westwood white cotton t-shirt ▪ Cherub print ▪ Short puff sleeve ▪ Wide cut ▪ One Size ▪ Spring-Summer 1991Category
1990s British Shirts
- Christian Dior by John Galliano white cotton jewelled t-shirt, fw 2002By John Galliano for Christian Dior, Christian DiorLocated in London, GBChristian Dior by John Galliano white cotton t-shirt with jewel embellishments. Fall-Winter 2002Category
Early 2000s French T-Shirts
- Vivienne Westwood Men's Rococo cupid print cotton shirt, fw 1991By Vivienne WestwoodLocated in London, GB▪ Vivienne Westwood Men's voile shirt ▪ 100% Cotton ▪ Print reproduced from 'A Swarm of Cupids' by Jean-Honoré Fragonard (1765-67) ▪ Orb etche...Category
1990s British Shirts
- Vivienne Westwood unisex pink and white polkadot shirt, S/S 1985By Vivienne WestwoodLocated in London, GB- Loose cut 'Mini Crini' Spring-Summer 1985Category
1980s British Shirts
- Azzedine Alaia striped cotton maxi shirt dress, ss 1992By Azzedine AlaïaLocated in London, GBAzzedine Alaia striped cotton maxi shirt dress. Oversized fit with elasticated waistband, turn over cuffs, built in waist stay and 2 side pockets. Spring-Summer 1992Category
1990s French Shirts
- Vivienne Westwood black t-shirt with gold foil vagina print, ss 1994By Vivienne WestwoodLocated in London, GBVivienne Westwood black cotton t-shirt with gold foil vagina print with rhinestone clitoris and embroidered orb at the back Cafe Society, Spring-Summer 1994Category
1990s British T-Shirts
- A Pierre Balmain Printed Silk Blouse - France Circa 1985By Pierre BalmainLocated in Toulon, FRCirca 1985 France Beautiful evening blouse in green silk printed with black graphics by Pierre Balmain dating from the 1980s. Short cut with blousy sleeves closed on the front by black shiny resin buttons. High collar buttoned to the Mao or to treat large open panels. To note, slight rings under...Category
1980s French Blouses and Tops
- Burberry Men's Large Logo Polo Shirt 55B715SBy BurberryLocated in Dix hills, NYDate Code/Serial Number: THTHAGAR129SAM Made In: Thailand Measurements: Length: 21" Width: .2" Height: 28" OVERALL EXCELLENT+ CONDITION ( 9.5/10 or A+ ) Shoulders: 17" Pit to Pit...Category
21st Century and Contemporary T-Shirts
- Giorgio Armani Pale Blue Striped Cotton Button Front Shirt XXLBy Giorgio ArmaniLocated in Dubai, Al Qouz 2Express your unique style with this shirt from Giorgio Armani. It is made from breathable cotton and features long sleeves and a striped pattern all over. A pair of well-tailored pan...Category
2010s French Shirts
- Prada Blue Cotton Contrast Embroidered Long Sleeve Button Front Shirt SBy PradaLocated in Dubai, Al Qouz 2Give your off-duty looks a modern twist with this chic Prada shirt. Cut from a blue cotton fabric, this shirt comes with a button-front and detailed with contrast embroidery detailin...Category
2010s Italian Shirts
- Etro Blue Striped Cotton Button Front Shirt MBy EtroLocated in Dubai, Al Qouz 2In a trousseau of basics, this Etro shirt is a breath of fresh air with its dashing contemporary design. This lavish creation features a striped design and a smart fit. Mix and match...Category
2010s Italian Shirts
- Roberto Cavalli Gym Blue Printed Jersey Tank Top SBy Roberto CavalliLocated in Dubai, Al Qouz 2This tank top from Roberto Cavalli is a great pick for casual wear. Trendy and stylish, it is stitched using gym blue jersey fabric with a contrast print adorning the front. Match th...Category
2010s Italian Blouses and Tops
Recently ViewedView All
Martin Margiela: An Intimate Look at the Designer and His Surreal Fashions
In a recently released film, the elusive Belgian designer reflects on his time in the fashion world and his avant-garde creations, which have become coveted collector items.
This Sarah Burton for Alexander McQueen Ensemble Is Part Zsa Zsa Gabor, Part ‘Blade Runner’
As Burton steps away from the brand, it’s a fitting time to revisit one of her visionary designs.