Maison Martin Margiela Men's Replica Leather High Top Sneaker in Bone 44 / 11
About the Item
Maison Martin Margiela
Belgian designer Martin Margiela (b. 1957) — whose life, career, clothing designs and vintage shoes have become cult-collector obsessions — pushed those who attended his shows outside their comfort zones. In the years following his maison's 1988 debut, he toyed with creative and aesthetic paradoxes that persist in fashion today.
Consider the Spring/Summer 2001 shirt patchworked from vintage clothing labels, or his famous corset dresses made from tailoring dummies, from his Fall/Winter 1997 line. Or his oversize collection for Fall/Winter 2000. In 1992, Margiela told Dépêche Mode magazine, “My clothes appeal to women of a certain mindset rather than of a specific age or physique.”
Born in Genk, Belgium, in 1957, Margiela knew he wanted to be a fashion designer after catching glimpses of Parisian fashion on TV as a child. Although his parents discouraged this career choice as an oddly funny aspiration, Margiela enrolled in the fashion program of the Royal Academy of Fine Arts Antwerp. There, he befriended and graduated a year ahead of the Antwerp Six — the acclaimed group of Belgian fashion designers comprising Dries Van Noten, Walter Van Beirendonck, Ann Demeulemeester, Marina Yee, Dirk Bikkembergs and Dirk Van Saene.
Like many of his contemporaries in the 1980s, Margiela understood Paris fashion but felt a deep resonance with the deconstructed beauty espoused by Japanese designers Yohji Yamamoto and Rei Kawakubo, of Comme des Garçons. Margiela’s fascination with Japan influenced many of his earliest collections and designs, from a dress pieced together from broken plates to his iconic Tabi boots, inspired by the split-toe Japanese worker’s shoe, which dates back to the 15th century. He decided to launch his own line while working for renowned Paris designer Jean Paul Gaultier.
Margiela, Gaultier has often stated, was his best assistant. Even then, the 2019 film Martin Margiela: In His Own Words suggests, he was acutely aware of the widening gulf between the art and the business of fashion.
Margiela’s debut show was nothing short of spectacular. Set in a packed Café de la Gare in the still-seedy Marais district, it was also scandalous to the Parisian fashion set of the time. The designer tore up the conventions of contemporary couture presentations, most notably having his models, plucked from the streets and wearing ink-blotted Tabis, wend their way through the crowd. The show redefined the concept of the runway in a way that would later inspire such designers as Alexander McQueen and Demna Gvasalia.
While the notoriously private designer retired from fashion in 2009, for many Maison Martin Margiela collectors, his pieces capture the irreverence of the postwar, post-punk late 1980s and ’90s. Katy Rodriguez, cofounder of the cult vintage fashion shop Resurrection, is among those who felt a connection to Margiela’s clothing in the subliminal challenges it posed to the time’s beauty norms.
“Growing up in San Francisco and coming out of the end of punk rock, not wanting to be objectified, not wanting to be seen as a sexual object, not wanting your value to be just because you’re pretty — all those clothes played into all of that,” she says. “It really was a reflection of the kind of world the young people I knew at the time wanted to live in.”
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Miami, FL
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- Hermes Calya Mules Hetre Calfskin Clog 36 / 6By HermèsLocated in Miami, FLMightychic offers Hermes Calya Mule featured in Hetre. Smooth calfskin with H cutout detail. Light Beechwood sole. These chic casual shoes are the trend as ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Low Heels
- Gianni Versace Vintage Peeptoe Boots Pale Gray Suede Swarovksi Diamantes 40 / 10By Gianni VersaceLocated in Miami, FLGuaranteed authentic Gianni Versace pale gray baby soft suede boot with beautiful details. The peep toe foot has gorgeous detail and cutouts. The rear of the leg and upper edge is de...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Boots
- Giuseppe Zanotti Shoe Ballet Flat White and Red Sequins 38.5 / 8.5By Giuseppe ZanottiLocated in Miami, FLGiuseppe Zanotti ballet flat encrusted with red and white sequins. The pailletes create an abstract design making the shoe appear light and airy. The shoes have a white grosgrain t...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Shoes
- Giuseppe Zanotti Camel Suede Open Toe Shoe 39 / 9By Giuseppe ZanottiLocated in Miami, FLGiuseppe Zanotti shoe in suede light camel. Open toe front with caged heel and rear zip. Perfect neutral shoe! NEW or NEVER WORN. final sale SIZE 39 USA...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Heels
- Celine Black Ankle Strap Platform Wedge ShoesSandal 39 / 9By CelineLocated in Miami, FLGuaranteed authentic Celine black 80 mm signature platform wedge espadrille. Black ankle strap with buckle closure. 2" esparto rope platform with black criss cross straps over foot. ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Shoes
- Hermes Izmir Sandal Men's Shoes Flat Classic Beige Glaise/ Vert Toundra 43.5 / 1By HermèsLocated in Miami, FLMightychic offers a pair of Hermes Men's Izmir sandals featured in Beige Glaise and Vert Toundre. The iconic H cutout over the top of the foot in Epsom leather. Sophisticated colour...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Sandals
- Jimmy Choo Silver/White Mesh and Glitter Fabric Tulle Love Pumps Size 39.5By Jimmy ChooLocated in Dubai, Al Qouz 2Draped in beautiful white mesh and silver glitter tulle fabric, these Jimmy Choo pumps are a sight to behold! They have been styled with pointed toes while comfortable leather-lined ...Category
2010s Italian Sandals
- Dolce & Gabbana tan and brown leather platform sandals, sz 39By Dolce & GabbanaLocated in London, GBDolce & Gabbana tan and brown leather platform sandals ca. 1990-1999Category
1990s Italian Shoes
- Christian Louboutin Size 39.5 Nude Bianca 120 Patent Calf Heels 4CL928By Christian LouboutinLocated in Dix hills, NYMade In: Italy Measurements: Length: 9.5" Width: 2.5" Height: 7.5" Heel Height: 5" OVERALL LIKE NEW CONDITION ( 9.75/10 or N ) Accessories: Box, Dust Bag, Extra Heel Tips Signs...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Heels
- Burberry London 37 Beige Nova BlackStrap Detail House Check Rubber Rain BootBy Burberry LondonLocated in Dix hills, NYBurberry London 37 Beige Nova BlackStrap Detail House Check Rubber Rain Boot 1216bur13 Date Code/Serial Number: CNWUHFEN5WUH Made In: China Measurements: Length: 10.5" Width: 3.75"...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Boots
- Off-White x Nike Men's 9.5 US Virgil Abloh Off-White RedAir Jordan 2 II Low dj43Located in Dix hills, NYOff-White x Nike Men's 9.5 US Virgil Abloh Off-White RedAir Jordan 2 II Low dj4375-106 Date Code/Serial Number: DJ4375-106 Made In: Vietnam Measurements: Leng...Category
15th Century and Earlier Boots
- Fendi Beige x Blue Micro Zucchino FF Wedge Sandals 1223f14By FendiLocated in Dix hills, NYFendi Beige x Blue Micro Zucchino FF Wedge Sandals 1223f14 Made In: Italy Measurements: Length: 9.5" Width: 3.4" Height: 6.2" Heel Height: 3.5" OVERALL NEW CONDITION ( 10/10 or N...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Heels
Recently ViewedView All
Martin Margiela: An Intimate Look at the Designer and His Surreal Fashions
In a recently released film, the elusive Belgian designer reflects on his time in the fashion world and his avant-garde creations, which have become coveted collector items.
This Iconic Hermès Bag Is Made from an Unexpected Material: Wood
From a house that specializes in covetable objects, this version of the Kelly is the rarest of finds.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery