Céline By Phoebe Philo Runway Frayed Linen Maxi Skirt, Spring-Summer 2014
About the Item
Now renowned for chic womenswear as well as luxury leather handbags that are often recognized for their iconic gold-tone fastening and hardware, French fashion house Celine got its start in children’s shoes.
In 1945, Céline Vipiana and her husband, Richard, opened a made-to-measure shoe shop for children at 52 rue de Malte in Paris. Designer Céline’s name graced the business, alongside a red elephant designed by French cartoonist Raymond Peynet that served as the company’s first logo. In 1967, following an expansion into women’s shoes and leather accessories, the Vipianas decided to expand their company’s reach into women’s ready-to-wear, focusing on high-end sportswear. Céline Vipiana, who remained chief designer until her death in 1997, would oversee a range of fashion that would reach an international audience with a pared-down elegance and timeless style.
The company quickly achieved widespread success with its new offerings, most notably its trench coat, which became a staple for the brand. In the 1970s, they expanded outside Paris with boutiques in Monte Carlo, Beverly Hills and Hong Kong. In 1973, Céline Vipiana, inspired by chain links around the Arc de Triomphe, debuted the Blazon Chaîne motif of interlocking C’s. She began using it on a printed canvas and branding as well as accents on accessories, such as the Triomphe bag.
Vipiana’s designs were created to appeal as everyday fashion: Celine skirts, suits, fitted shirts, vests and coats were stylish but rooted in practicality. Quality, too, was paramount; Vipiana’s determination to deliver the best possible leather led to the opening of a studio in Florence, where the brand created its leather goods.
Vipiana died a year after her brand was acquired by Bernard Arnault’s luxury conglomerate LVMH for about $540 million. American designer Michael Kors then took the helm as creative director. Kors, too, was known for practical but chic ready-to-wear. He introduced such luxury staples as cashmere sets, smartly tailored pants and simple slip dresses, plus themed collections around jet-setter locales like Monte Carlo and Tahiti. Following Kors’s departure in 2004, onetime Burberry designer Roberto Menichetti took the job for just a year. He was followed by designer Phoebe Philo, the young British designer who is now credited with establishing Celine’s 21st-century style.
Philo created a distinct, minimal style that channeled the brand’s roots of practical simplicity with luxury materials. (“I just thought I’d clean it up,” she quipped of her debut collection in 2010.) Over the course of ten years, Philo turned the company into a beloved fixture of the fashion industry. In 2018, after Philo’s departure, the house tapped Hedi Slimane, former creative director of Yves Saint Laurent, as its new leader; he caused a stir when he famously removed the accent from the brand name. Controversial though it was, Slimane maintained it was a return to the label’s roots: an exercise in strong simplicity.
Find vintage Celine day dresses, handbags and other items on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Geneva, Switzerland
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- Documented Yves Saint Laurent Pleated Silk Chiffon Ensemble, Spring-Summer 1979By Yves Saint Laurent, Yves Saint Laurent Rive GaucheLocated in Geneva, CHA wonderful addition to any summer wardrobe, this 70's runway Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche features a pleated jade green silk chiffon top with a matc...Category
1970s French Skirt Suits
- Yves Saint Laurent Fringed Wrap SkirtBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Geneva, CHStunning early 90’s YSL black soft wool wrap skirt. This unusual piece is edged with rows of swinging black suede fringes, found as well on the single large pocket, thus creating a c...Category
1990s French Wrap Skirts
- Alaia Leopard Print Knit Pencil Skirt, Fall-Winter 1991-1992By Azzedine AlaïaLocated in Geneva, CHTimeless and endlessly versatile is the leopard print. Even more when this leopard print is iconic ! From one of the most recognizable and famous Alaïa collection, this Fall-Winter 1991-1992 jacquard-knit wool pencil skirt will look as chic styled with knee boots or sandals. Unlined, it is labelled a size S. Pulls on to wear, the fabric does have stretch. Fits approx. : US 2-6 / FR 36-38 Measurements (taken flat and unstretched) : Waist approx. 31-32 cm (12.2-12.6 inches) Hips approx. 37 cm (14.6 inches) Total length (waist to hem) approx. 54 cm (21.3 inches) This item has been professionally cleaned, pressed & carefully inspected by a couture-trained seamstress before being sold. Credit photo : Picture n° 3 -> "Alaia Throws A Curve" by Jean Baptiste Mondino...Category
1990s French Pencil Skirts
- Versace Couture Light Wool Baroque Print SkirtBy VersaceLocated in Geneva, CHA recognizable pleated skirt by Versace Couture. Fits approx. : US 2-6 / FR 36-38 Measurements : Waist approx. 71 cm (28 inches) Total length (waist to bottom) approx. 48 cm ...Category
1990s Italian Pleated Skirts
- Christian Lacroix Runway Silk Faille & Velvet Wrap Skirt, Fall-Winter 1992By Christian LacroixLocated in Geneva, CHThis Christian Lacroix asymetrical skirt will look equally great with a relaxed jumper or an evening top. Constructed in off-white silk faille, the piece sits high on the waist then ...Category
1990s French Wrap Skirts
- Christian Dior By John Galliano Diorissimo "Flight" Cropped Jeans Pants, SS2006By Christian Dior, John GallianoLocated in Geneva, CHFrom the Spring-Summer 2006 "Flight" collection by John Galliano for Christian Dior, these jeans pants are printed with a tonal-blue version of the iconic Diorissimo motif. Designed ...Category
Early 2000s Portuguese Jeans
- 1970s Lanvin Blue Geometric Wool Pleated SkirtBy Lanvin Paris, Jeanne LanvinLocated in Paris, FR1970s Lanvin blue wool pleated skirt featuring a geometric motive, a side zipped opening, a side button, a plain blue waistband, a mid-length. Composition...Category
1970s French Pleated Skirts
- Vintage Prada Runway grey patchwork fur skirt, Fall 1999By Miuccia Prada, PradaLocated in New York, NYPrada Fall/Winter 1999 Runway Collection Collector’s Archive Prada fur a-line skirt from the runway collection. Gorgeous, timeless winter piece for any chic capsule wardrobe. Grey d...Category
1990s Italian Pencil Skirts
- Gianni Versace vintage leather skirt, 1990sLocated in New York, NYGianni Versace vintage quilted leather skirt with rhinestones Knee-length, fully lined, back zip fastening Size – IT 42 / S-M Waist – 55 cm Length – 68 cm Hips – 92 cm Condition...Category
Early 2000s Pencil Skirts
- Dries Van Noten Skirt with SlipBy Dries van NotenLocated in Waterford, MIBlack maxi skirt with white dettachable slip. Read zipper closure. Back slit. Wool. Made in Belgium. *Condition: Excellent vintage condition. No visible flaws. Measurements Taken L...Category
Early 2000s Skirts
- Angelo Tarlazzi Suede Star SkirtBy Angelo TarlazziLocated in Waterford, MIBlue suede skirt with leather stars. Elastic waistband. Pockets. Lined. Made in France. *Condition: Excellent vintage condition. No visible flaws. Measurements Taken Laying Flat (...Category
1980s Pencil Skirts