1996 Gucci by Tom Ford White Wool Turtleneck Top
About the Item
Long before trend-bucking creative director Alessandro Michele brought his hallucinatory “Utopian Fantasy” campaign to Gucci, it was a modest Italian leather shop. Today, it’s an internationally renowned luxury house with an iconic logo, and vintage Gucci clothing, handbags and shoes are among high fashion's most covetable goods.
Guccio Gucci (1881–1953) admired the stylish suitcases he saw wealthy guests arrive with at the Savoy Hotel in London, where he worked as a bellhop. So, in 1921, after a stint at Franzi, a luggage company in his hometown of Florence, he opened a leather goods shop of his own.
At first, Gucci’s Florence business specialized in equestrian accessories. But as its reputation flourished, particularly among the English aristocracy, so too did its footprint. In 1938, he brought three of his sons — Aldo, Vasco and Rodolfo — into the business and expanded it to Rome and later Milan. In the mid-1930s, a League of Nations embargo against Italy pushed Gucci to experiment with alternatives to imported leather. Its woven hemp fabric from Naples, adorned with the brand’s signature diamond print, was a hit, especially among A-list celebrities. The material was first used on suitcases before finding enduring popularity on handbags. (No list of revered designer purses would be complete without Gucci.)
In the 1950s, Elizabeth Taylor carried one of Gucci’s bamboo-handled tote bags, another adaptation to material rationing. After Jackie Kennedy was seen sporting a slouchy Gucci tote in 1961, it was renamed for the First Lady. Then Grace Kelly, on a visit to the boutique in Milan, inspired Rodolfo Gucci to work with Italian illustrator and Gucci textile designer Vittorio Accornero on the Flora print in 1966. Taking cues from Sandro Botticelli’s Primavera, with its pattern of flora and insects, it was painted entirely by hand and featured no fewer than 37 colors.
In 1953, just 15 days after opening his first store on New York’s 5th Avenue, Guccio passed away at 72. The early 1970s saw store openings in Tokyo and Hong Kong, but by the late 1980s, Gucci was floundering. Rodolfo Gucci took charge in 1982, but family drama and lawsuits ensued. In 1993, Rodolfo’s son, Maurizio, transferred his shares in the company to Investcorp, ending the family’s involvement in Gucci. Dawn Mello, then-president of Bergdorf Goodman, joined as creative director in 1989. But it was Tom Ford, who took over as creative director in 1994, who ultimately revived the brand.
Ford’s racy ads, shot by photographers such as Mario Testino, stirred controversy. And his potent vision of sexed-up femininity — with “jewel-toned satin shirts unbuttoned to there,” as Vogue described his breakthrough 1995 runway show — was wildly successful. The new millennium brought new ownership — Pinault Printemps Redoute in 2004 — and a more toned-down vision from Frida Giannini, who became sole creative director in 2006. Alessandro Michele was named creative director in 2015, and the storied brand took a giant leap forward.
Find vintage Gucci clothing and accessories on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Sheung Wan, Hong Kong
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- Chanel White Short Sleeves Knitted Cotton CardiganBy Karl Lagerfeld for Chanel, ChanelLocated in Sheung Wan, HK- Chanel white short sleeves knitted cotton cardigan from spring 1996 collection. - Black and white “CC” button closure. - Two front pockets. ...Category
1990s French Cardigans
- 90s Claude Montana Purple Wool Patent Leather Trim SweaterBy Claude MontanaLocated in Sheung Wan, HK- Vintage 90s State of Claude Montana purple wool patent leather trim shoulders to sleeves sweater. - Size 40 Italy. - Height: 67cm I S...Category
1990s Italian Pullovers
- Claude Montana Black Wool Patent Leather Trim High Neck Pullover SweaterBy Claude MontanaLocated in Sheung Wan, HK- Vintage 90s Claude Montana black wool high neck pullover sweater - Featuring vertical patent leather trim in front. - Size 40. - Height: 26.25 inches. Sleeve: 25 inches. ...Category
1990s Italian Pullovers
- Chanel camellia top from Chanel spring/summer 2001 collection.By Karl Lagerfeld for Chanel, ChanelLocated in Sheung Wan, HKSize 44. 70% cotton. 25% rayon. 5% polyester.Category
Early 2000s French Blousons
- Vintage 90s Gianni Versace Sport Geometric Purple Cropped Pullover SweaterBy Gianni VersaceLocated in Sheung Wan, HK- 90s Gianni Versace Sport geometric pattern purple cropped pullover sweater. - Ribbed white/purple stripe collar, cuffs and hem. - Made in Italy. - 100% Wool. - Siz...Category
1990s Italian Pullovers
- Vintage Pink and Cream Cardigan with Pearl and Diamante DetailLocated in London, GBA fun vintage cardigan for fall. In a pink and cream knit with loop detail the cardigan has a zip front opening, sccop neckline. and scattered pearl and diamante detail. Measurements...Category
1980s British Cardigans
- Two Sam Kori George Cashmere Sweaters. Black And Cream With Sholder Detail.Located in Buchanan, MITWO SAM KORI GEORGE CASHMERE SWEATERS. Comprising of a black and cream sweater with shoulder detail Nice weight, 4-5 ply and of highest quality. Pri...Category
21st Century and Contemporary American Pullovers
- Amiri Leather Trimmed Cotton Jersey SweatshirtBy AmiriLocated in London, GBAMIRI's pink sweatshirt is cut from substantial loopback cotton-jersey in a slightly oversized fit that's emphasized by dropped shoulders and wide, slouchy sleeves, it's detailed wit...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Sweaters
- RALPH LAUREN Black Label Size XS Cream Cashmere Blend Double Breasted CardiganBy Ralph LaurenLocated in San Francisco, CARALPH LAUREN "Black Label" cardigan comes in a cream cashmere blend featuring a shawl collar, slit pockets, ribbed hem, and a double breasted closure. Very Good Pre-Owned Condition...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Cardigans
- 1980S Ivory & Tan Angora Lamb Wool Sweater With Western Style Leather Beaded ApLocated in New York, NY1980S Ivory & Tan Angora Lamb Wool Sweater With Western Style Leather Beaded AppliquéCategory
- DOLCE GABBANA 100% silk cream pink blossom square neck sweater IT36 XSBy Dolce & GabbanaLocated in Hong Kong, NTDOLCE GABBANA 100% silk cream pink blossom square neck sweater IT36 XS Reference: TGAS/B02039 Brand: Dolce Gabbana Material: Silk Color: Beige Pattern: Floral Extra Detail: Squ...Category
Recently ViewedView All
The Stories behind the Most Famous Luxury Fashion Logos
From Chanel to YSL, the logos of some legacy fashion houses spark instant brand recognition and have come to symbolize a kind of luxury that feels at once aspirational and attainable.
14 Iconic Luxury Handbags and the Stories behind Them
When the name of a bag is as well-known as its brand, you know it's a classic.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery