Chanel Orange Lambskin Briefcase
View Similar Items
Chanel Orange Lambskin Briefcase
About the Designer
In the years following the opening of her modest millinery shop, Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel became a pivotal designer of both fashionable casual wear and Paris haute couture as well as an icon and arbiter of 20th-century style with her bob haircut and pearls. Today vintage Chanel handbags, jackets and evening dresses are among the most sought-after clothing and accessories for fashion lovers all over the world.
The first Chanel shop was established in 1910 in Paris on rue Cambon by the young milliner Gabrielle Chanel (1883–1971), who had picked up the nickname “Coco” while working as a club singer. The boutique drew the attention of the Parisian fashion elite who popularized her wide-brimmed Chanel Modes hats. Soon she added a sportswear store in the Normandy resort town of Deauville, where Coco set the tone for her defining sense of style — traditionally masculine garments reimagined for feminine shapes, made from simple jersey fabric.
Effortless and elegant, Chanel's designs promoted comfort and grace in women’s wear that had been dominated in the previous century by complicated layers of fabric and cumbersome corsets. She followed this success with a couture house, opened in 1915 in Biarritz.
But Chanel was not born into a life of glamour. Following the death of her mother, her father left her in an orphanage where she lived until the age of 18. It was there that she learned to sew as well as appreciate the classic pairing of black and white as worn by the nuns. In 1926, she introduced her first little black dress, reclaiming a color that had once been reserved for mourning and working-class women. That same decade, she debuted her perfume, Chanel No. 5, as well as the Chanel suit with a fitted skirt, inspired by the boxy lines of men’s clothing and employing a sporty tweed.
Chanel closed her fashion operations during World War II, then returned to the industry in 1954 to design for the functional needs of modern women. Structure and wearability endured in all of Chanel’s clothing and accessories, like the quilted leather 2.55 handbag introduced in 1955 with its gold-chain shoulder strap that freed up a woman’s hands. Chanel's collarless jacket reacted against the constricting styles of Christian Dior's New Look, replacing them with a design that was timeless, an instant classic. The 1957 two-tone slingback pumps had a practical heel height while offering a bold statement in the black tip of the shoes.
After Coco Chanel died in 1971, the brand underwent several changes in leadership, including fashion designer Karl Lagerfeld, who took over as artistic director in 1983. Over the years, the company has continued to innovate, such as expanding into ready-to-wear fashion in 1978 and, in 2002, establishing a subsidiary company — Paraffection — dedicated to preserving the heritage skills of fashion artisan workshops. The House of Chanel still operates its flagship on rue Cambon in Paris, where it all began.
- 2007 Hermes Parchemin Clemence Leather Sac a Depeche 27By HermèsLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireHERMÈS Parchemin Clemence Leather Sac a Depeche 27 Serial Number: [K] Age (Circa): 2007 Accompanied By: Hermès Dust Bag, Care Booklet, Keys, Clochet...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Top Handle Bags$3,476Free Shipping
- Prada BALTIC BLUE SAFFIANO LEATHER WORK BAGBy PradaLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshirePrada BALTIC BLUE SAFFIANO LEATHER WORK BAG ONDITION NOTES The exterior is in excellent condition with light signs of use. There is a scuff front cen...Category
2010s Italian Briefcases and Attachés$2,262Free Shipping
- Louis Vuitton Black Epi Leather Robusto 2 Compartment BriefcaseBy Louis VuittonLocated in Krakow, PLThis classic briefcase from Louis Vuitton brings a whole new perspective to office repertoire. This Robusto 2 compartment briefcase is crafted from black Epi leather. The bag feature...Category
2010s Top Handle Bags
- Golden Brown Alligator-Skin Sectional HandbagLocated in New York, NYThis wonderful golden brown Alligator-Skin handbag has three separate sections. The center one has a zippered compartment, while another has a opened compartment and the last, has a ...Category
1970s Unknown Briefcases and Attachés
- Valentino Garavani Bag In Purple AlligatorBy ValentinoLocated in Paris, FRGolden jewelry. Zip closure. The interior is in golden leather. Serial number: BSXAB912T In very good condition. Slight wear and tear on one of the flow...Category
2010s Italian Top Handle Bags
- Louis Vuitton Yack GM Black Canva Top Handle BagBy Louis VuittonLocated in Torre Del Greco, ITLouis Vuitton signed bag, Yack model, size GM, made in black canvas with brown leather inserts and golden hardware. Featuring a top zip closure. Equipped with two rigid handles made ...Category
2010s Briefcases and Attachés
Recently ViewedView All
With a Wink, Karl Lagerfeld Sent This Egg-Carton-Shaped Chanel Bag Down the Runway
For the brand’s 2014–15 ready-to-wear show in Paris, the designer was inspired by a most unexpected place: the supermarket.
This Vintage Chanel Fur Muff Is Après-Ski Chic
It might not be as practical as a pair of mittens, but for something that looks this good, practicality really doesn't matter.