View Similar Items
- DimensionsHeight: 5 in (12.7 cm)Width: 8 in (20.32 cm)
- Place of Origin
- Material NotesVelvet
- Seller LocationCincinnati, OH
- Reference Number1stDibs: AU120723254319
About the Manufacturer
In the years following the opening of her modest millinery shop, Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel became a pivotal designer of both fashionable casual wear and Paris haute couture as well as an icon and arbiter of 20th-century style with her bob haircut and pearls. Today vintage Chanel handbags, jackets and evening dresses are among the most sought-after clothing and accessories for fashion lovers all over the world.
The first Chanel shop was established in 1910 in Paris on rue Cambon by the young milliner Gabrielle Chanel (1883–1971), who had picked up the nickname “Coco” while working as a club singer. The boutique drew the attention of the Parisian fashion elite who popularized her wide-brimmed Chanel Modes hats. Soon she added a sportswear store in the Normandy resort town of Deauville, where Coco set the tone for her defining sense of style — traditionally masculine garments reimagined for feminine shapes, made from simple jersey fabric.
Effortless and elegant, Chanel's designs promoted comfort and grace in women’s wear that had been dominated in the previous century by complicated layers of fabric and cumbersome corsets. She followed this success with a couture house, opened in 1915 in Biarritz.
But Chanel was not born into a life of glamour. Following the death of her mother, her father left her in an orphanage where she lived until the age of 18. It was there that she learned to sew as well as appreciate the classic pairing of black and white as worn by the nuns. In 1926, she introduced her first little black dress, reclaiming a color that had once been reserved for mourning and working-class women. That same decade, she debuted her perfume, Chanel No. 5, as well as the Chanel suit with a fitted skirt, inspired by the boxy lines of men’s clothing and employing a sporty tweed.
Chanel closed her fashion operations during World War II, then returned to the industry in 1954 to design for the functional needs of modern women. Structure and wearability endured in all of Chanel’s clothing and accessories, like the quilted leather 2.55 handbag introduced in 1955 with its gold-chain shoulder strap that freed up a woman’s hands. Chanel's collarless jacket reacted against the constricting styles of Christian Dior's New Look, replacing them with a design that was timeless, an instant classic. The 1957 two-tone slingback pumps had a practical heel height while offering a bold statement in the black tip of the shoes.
After Coco Chanel died in 1971, the brand underwent several changes in leadership, including fashion designer Karl Lagerfeld, who took over as artistic director in 1983. Over the years, the company has continued to innovate, such as expanding into ready-to-wear fashion in 1978 and, in 2002, establishing a subsidiary company — Paraffection — dedicated to preserving the heritage skills of fashion artisan workshops. The House of Chanel still operates its flagship on rue Cambon in Paris, where it all began.
Browse vintage Chanel bags, evening dresses, shoes, jewelry and other clothing and accessories on 1stDibs.
- Chanel Black and Silver Lambskin Mini Classic Limited EditionBy ChanelLocated in Palm Beach, FLThis authentic Chanel Black and Silver Lambskin Mini Classic is in pristine condition. A limited edition piece from the Cruise Collection, it is a lovely addition to any collection....Category
2010s French Structured Shoulder Bags
- Chanel Vintage Red Leather Scallop Quilted Flap BagBy ChanelLocated in Palm Beach, FLThis authentic Chanel Red Leather Scallop Quilted Flap Bag is in very good vintage condition. Rare curved quilting and satin rope trim make this a ...Category
20th Century European Structured Shoulder Bags
- Chanel Grey XXL Deauville ToteBy ChanelLocated in Palm Beach, FLThis authentic Chanel Grey XXL Deauville Tote is in pristine condition. The iconic Chanel design is perfect for resort wear and travel. Dark grey fabri...Category
2010s European Tote Bags
- Chanel Blush Lambskin Lucky Charms Chain Flap BagBy ChanelLocated in Palm Beach, FLThis authentic Chanel Blush Lambskin Lucky Charms Chain Flap Bag is in pristine condition. A beautiful and feminine design, this collectible bag features iconic Chanel symbols...Category
Early 2000s European Structured Shoulder Bags
- Chanel Rose Gold Leather PouchBy ChanelLocated in Palm Beach, FLThis authentic Chanel Rose Gold Leather Cosmetic Pouch is in pristine condition. Neutral rose gold leather with zippered closure. Gold monogram f...Category
2010s Italian Cosmetic Bags
- Chanel Metallic Silver Maxi 2.55 Reissue Flap Bag 228 sizeBy ChanelLocated in Palm Beach, FLThis authentic Chanel Metallic Silver 2.55 Reissue Flap Bag is in excellent condition. The largest silhouette in the reissue, the 228 size is spacious without being overwhelming. In...Category
Early 2000s French Structured Shoulder Bags
Recently ViewedView More
This Vintage Chanel Fur Muff Is Après-Ski Chic
It might not be as practical as a pair of mittens, but for something that looks this good, practicality really doesn't matter.
A Chanel Wicker Handbag Gives Impossibly Chic Picnic Vibes
Only Chanel could elevate humble materials like denim and wicker to icon-level status.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery