Chanel Black Patent Leather CC Gold Embroidered Chain Clutch/Shoulder Bag
About the Item
In the years following the opening of her modest millinery shop, Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel became a pivotal designer of both fashionable casual wear and Paris haute couture as well as an icon and arbiter of 20th-century style with her bob haircut and pearls. Today vintage Chanel handbags, jackets and evening dresses are among the most sought-after clothing and accessories for fashion lovers all over the world.
The first Chanel shop was established in 1910 in Paris on rue Cambon by the young milliner Gabrielle Chanel (1883–1971), who had picked up the nickname “Coco” while working as a club singer. The boutique drew the attention of the Parisian fashion elite who popularized her wide-brimmed Chanel Modes hats. Soon she added a sportswear store in the Normandy resort town of Deauville, where Coco set the tone for her defining sense of style — traditionally masculine garments reimagined for feminine shapes, made from simple jersey fabric.
Effortless and elegant, Chanel's designs promoted comfort and grace in women’s wear that had been dominated in the previous century by complicated layers of fabric and cumbersome corsets. She followed this success with a couture house, opened in 1915 in Biarritz.
But Chanel was not born into a life of glamour. Following the death of her mother, her father left her in an orphanage where she lived until the age of 18. It was there that she learned to sew as well as appreciate the classic pairing of black and white as worn by the nuns. In 1926, she introduced her first little black dress, reclaiming a color that had once been reserved for mourning and working-class women. That same decade, she debuted her perfume, Chanel No. 5, as well as the Chanel suit with a fitted skirt, inspired by the boxy lines of men’s clothing and employing a sporty tweed.
Chanel closed her fashion operations during World War II, then returned to the industry in 1954 to design for the functional needs of modern women. Structure and wearability endured in all of Chanel’s clothing and accessories, like the quilted leather 2.55 handbag introduced in 1955 with its gold-chain shoulder strap that freed up a woman’s hands. Chanel's collarless jacket reacted against the constricting styles of Christian Dior's New Look, replacing them with a design that was timeless, an instant classic. The 1957 two-tone slingback pumps had a practical heel height while offering a bold statement in the black tip of the shoes.
After Coco Chanel died in 1971, the brand underwent several changes in leadership, including fashion designer Karl Lagerfeld, who took over as artistic director in 1983. Over the years, the company has continued to innovate, such as expanding into ready-to-wear fashion in 1978 and, in 2002, establishing a subsidiary company — Paraffection — dedicated to preserving the heritage skills of fashion artisan workshops. The House of Chanel still operates its flagship on rue Cambon in Paris, where it all began.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Sheung Wan, Hong Kong
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- Salvatore Ferragamo Green Python Clutch bagBy Salvatore FerragamoLocated in Sheung Wan, HK- Vintage 90s Salvatore Ferragamo green python clutch with silver toned detachable shoulder strap. Featuring an interior zipper pocket. This erotic python...Category
1990s Italian Clutches
- Istante by Gianni Versace yellow lambskin handbagBy Istante by VersaceLocated in Sheung Wan, HK- Vintage 90s Istante by Gianni Versace yellow lambskin handbag. - Measurements: 13cm x 18cm x 5cm. Drop: 20cm. - Unused item with minor ...Category
1990s Italian Top Handle Bags
- Philip Treacy Red and Gold Pattern Print with Tassel Clutches HandbagBy Philip TreacyLocated in Sheung Wan, HK- Vintage 90s Philip Treacy red and gold pattern print clutches handbag. Rare and one of a kind! - Attached with a red tassel. - Gold toned hardware "Philip Treacy" lock closure. ...Category
1990s Unknown Clutches
- Chanel Silver Sequins and Silk Clutch Hand BagBy ChanelLocated in Sheung Wan, HK- Chanel silver sequins and silk clutch handbag. - Silver toned Hardware - Open top and flat handles - Satin Lining. - Size: 20cm L x 0.3cm W x 16cm H. Handle Drop: 14cm.Category
Early 2000s Italian Top Handle Bags
- Vintage 90s Chanel Black Quilted Suede Handle HandbagBy ChanelLocated in Sheung Wan, HK- Vintage 90s chanel black quilted suede leather handle handbag. - Chanel gold hardware zip closure. - Exterior “CC” turnlock flap closure. ...Category
1990s French Top Handle Bags
- Fendi Hard Case Logo ClutchBy FendiLocated in Scottsdale, AZWe are feeling this Fendi! Circa early 2000s, this rare clutch features 'Fendi' on the front face in black patent leather, a hard case exterior with a neutral colored speckled tortoise shell finish, and an optional chain shoulder strap (can crossbody). Includes a magnetic closure that opens to reveal a roomy woodgrain leather interior. Chic and hard to come by, this clutch is the ultimate novelty...Category
Early 2000s Italian Clutches
- Escada Forest Green Lizard Skin Shoulder Bag with Removable StrapsBy EscadaLocated in New York, NYEscada's wonderfully detailed forest green lizard skin flap-over shoulder bag is accented with removable shoulder straps for used as a clutch if desire. The shoulder straps...Category
1990s Italian Shoulder Bags
- GUCCI GG Supreme Ophidia Small Monogram Web Brown Shoulder Clutch BagBy GucciLocated in Freehold, NJPre-Owned 100% Authentic Gucci GG Supreme Ophidia Small Monogram Web RATING: A..Excellent, near mint, only slight sign of wear MATERIAL: Gg supreme mono...Category
2010s Italian Clutches
- Elegant Suede Clutch with Gilt Stirrup ClosureLocated in New York, NYElegant Clutch with detachable shoulder strap. Deep brown suede edged in natural leather with expanding bellows on side.
Circa 1970s.Gilt stirrup closure.
1970s Italian Clutches
- Phillip Lim Limited Edition Golden Tears Portrait Clutch and Shoulder BagBy 3.1 Phillip LimLocated in New York, NYPhillip Lim's "Limited Edition" wonderful whimsical optional clutch and shoulder bag is detailed with a clear front side displaying "Golden Tears" from a p...Category
Early 2000s Italian Clutches
- Carlos Falchi Black & Gold Embossed Alligator Calfskin Clutch/ Shoulder BagBy Carlos FalchiLocated in New York, NYCarlos Falchi wonderful black and metallic gold embossed alligator calfskin clutch has the option to use as a shoulder bag as well if desired. Black lizard skin is detailed on...Category
1980s American Shoulder Bags
Recently ViewedView All
With a Wink, Karl Lagerfeld Sent This Egg-Carton-Shaped Chanel Bag Down the Runway
For the brand’s 2014–15 ready-to-wear show in Paris, the designer was inspired by a most unexpected place: the supermarket.
This Vintage Chanel Fur Muff Is Après-Ski Chic
It might not be as practical as a pair of mittens, but for something that looks this good, practicality really doesn't matter.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery