Christian Dior '17 Black Calfskin Bee Pouch Clutch Bag
View Similar Items
- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Christian Dior '17 Black Calfskin Bee Pouch Clutch Bag
About the Manufacturer
When Christian Dior launched his couture house, in 1946, he wanted nothing less than to make “an elegant woman more beautiful and a beautiful woman more elegant.” He succeeded, and in doing so the visionary designer altered the landscape of 20th century fashion.
Dior was born in Granville, on the Normandy coast, in 1905. His prosperous haute bourgeois parents wanted him to become a diplomat despite his interest in art and architecture. However, they agreed to bankroll an art gallery, which Dior opened in 1928 in Paris with a friend.
This was the start of Dior’s rise in the city’s creative milieu, where he befriended Pablo Picasso and Jean Cocteau. After seven years as an art dealer, Dior retrained as a fashion illustrator, eventually landing a job as a fashion designer for Robert Piguet, and in 1941, following a year of military service, he joined the house of Lucien Lelong. Just five years later, with the backing of industrialist Marcel Boussac, the ascendant Dior established his own fashion house, at 30 avenue Montaigne in Paris.
Just two years after the end of World War II, the fashion crowd and the moribund haute couture industry were yearning, comme tout Paris, for security and prosperity, desperate to discard the drab, sexless, utilitarian garb imposed by wartime deprivation. They needed to dream anew.
And Dior delivered: He designed a collection for a bright, optimistic future. “It’s quite a revolution, dear Christian!” exclaimed Carmel Snow, the prescient American editor-in-chief of Harper’s Bazaar, famously proclaiming, “Your dresses have such a new look.” The press ran with the description, christening Dior’s debut Spring/Summer haute couture collection the New Look. “God help those who bought before they saw Dior,” said Snow. “This changes everything.”
Dior’s collection definitively declared that opulence, luxury and femininity were in. His skirts could have 40-meter-circumference hems, and outfits could weigh up to 60 pounds. They were cut and shaped like architecture, on strong foundations that molded women and “freed them from nature,” Dior said. Rather than rationing, his ladies wanted reams of fabric and 19-inch waists enforced by wire corsets, and the fashion world concurred. The debut got a standing ovation.
In the subsequent decade, Paris ruled as the undisputed fashion capital of the world, and Christian Dior reigned as its king. With the luxuriously full skirts of his New Look, suits and his drop-dead gorgeous evening dresses and ball gowns worthy of any princess, Dior gave women the gift of glamour they’d lost in the miserable years of war.
- Louis Vuitton Damier Ebene Neverfull Pochette Wristlet BagBy Louis VuittonLocated in New York, NYLouis Vuitton Damier Ebene Neverfull Pochette Wristlet Bag Made In: USA Year of Production: 2020 Color: Brown damier Hardware: Goldtone Materials: Coated canvas Lining: Pink canvas ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary American Pouches and Wristlets
- Chanel RARE COLLECTORS Black Vintage Quilted Satin Micro Flap Bag NecklaceBy ChanelLocated in New York, NYChanel Black Vintage Quilted Satin Micro Flap Bag Necklace Made In: France Year of Production: 1990s Color: Black Hardware: Goldtone Materials: Satin Lining: Leather Closure/Opening...Category
1990s French Novelty Bags
- Saint Laurent Black Monogram Chevron Leather Compact Zip Around WalletBy Saint LaurentLocated in New York, NYSaint Laurent Monogram Chevron Leather Compact Zip Around Wallet Made In: Italy Color: Black Hardware: Silvertone Materials: Grained leather Lining: Grained leather Closure/Opening:...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Wallets
- Bottega Veneta Black Intrecciato Leather The Pouch Clutch Bag rt. $3,800By Bottega VenetaLocated in New York, NYBottega Veneta Black Intrecciato Leather The Pouch Clutch Bag Made In: Italy Color: Nero black Hardware: Silvertone Materials: Lambskin leather Lining: Leather Closure/Opening: Magn...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Clutches
- Bottega Veneta Caramel Intrecciato Leather The Pouch Clutch BagBy Bottega VenetaLocated in New York, NYBottega Veneta Caramel Woven Intrecciato Leather The Pouch Clutch Bag Made In: Italy Color: Caramel Hardware: Goldtone Materials: Lambskin leather Lining: Leather Closure/Opening: M...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Clutches$2,235 Sale Price25% Off
- Bottega Veneta Pale Blue Butter Leather The Pouch Clutch Bag rt. $3,400By Bottega VenetaLocated in New York, NYBottega Veneta Pale Blue Butter Leather The Pouch Clutch Bag Made In: Italy Color: Pale blue Hardware: Goldtone Materials: Smooth calfskin butter leather Lining: Smooth leather Clos...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Clutches$1,920 Sale Price20% Off
- DIOR Blue Grained Leather ClutchBy Christian DiorLocated in Paris, FRUnisex, lovely Dior clutch in indigo blue grained calfskin. The finishes are in aged gold metal. Zip closure. A nice gift idea. It can be carried by hand or using a removable handle....Category
2010s Italian Clutches
- CHRISTIAN DIOR Multi Purple Cognac Fur Canvas Gold Wristlet Clutch Flap BagBy Christian DiorLocated in Chicago, ILPre-Owned Vintage Condition From 2003 Collection Fur Embroidered Canvas Gold Tone Hardware Woven Lining Measures 7.75" W x 3.5" H x 1.5" D Strap Drop 5" 100% Authenticity Guaranteed ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Pouches and Wristlets$4,740 Sale Price20% Off
- Christian Dior Signature Brown Canvas Clutch with Coco Brown Calfskin LogoBy Christian DiorLocated in New York, NYChristian Dior signature classic brown canvas accented with coco brown calfskin edges logo clutch measures 10 inches in length. The height measures 7 1/2 inches, flap on front...Category
1980s Italian Clutches
- 2000s Christian Dior Pink Patent Leather Chain HandbagBy Christian DiorLocated in London, GBOn trend Barbiecore stunning yet practical Christian Dior purse on chain, crafted from fuchsia patent leather, flap secures well with snap fastener, leather-fabric interior, Removabl...Category
Early 2000s French Clutches
- Dior Purple Quilted Clutch with ChainBy Christian DiorLocated in Scottsdale, AZHow sweet is this Dior clutch?! This adorable Dior clutch features a beautiful purple quilted material with a double silver chain strap, and a silver Dior Charm. The inside features ...Category
Early 2000s Italian Clutches
- CHANEL NEW Black Lambskin Leather Card Holder Mini Jewel Hook Handle WristletBy ChanelLocated in Chicago, ILNew Condition From 2021 Collection Lambskin Leather Gold Tone Hardware Woven Lining Measures 4.25" W x3.5" H x 1" D Include Authenticity Card and Box 100% Authenticity Guaranteed by...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Clutches$4,340 Sale Price20% Off
Recently ViewedView More
Too Soon for the Return of ’90s Fashion? As If
There's a renewed appreciation for the era's aesthetic, perhaps most notably among millennials seeking authentic, easy style.
14 Iconic Luxury Handbags and the Stories behind Them
When the name of a bag is as well-known as its brand, you know it's a classic.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery