Judith Leiber Jeweled Clutch, Black And Clear Crrystals With Silver Strap.
About the Item
When it comes to handbags, no designer can compete with Judith Leiber’s (1921–2018) ability to create magic using opulent crystals and wildly imaginative and playful shapes. The Hungarian-born designer made minaudières (small, decorative handbags, often without handles or a strap) in the form of crystal-covered swans, cupcakes, lipstick, wads of cash, teddy bears and other delightful objects. These dazzling objets d’art have been regularly seen in the hands of First Ladies, movie stars on the red carpet and even in the prestigious collections of institutions like the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
Like many pathbreaking inventions in the history of design, Leiber’s minaudières were the result of a happy accident. In 1967, she began working on her first metal handbag. The piece in question was named the Chatelaine, and the design was a graceful drop-shaped purse in gold-tinted metal. But when the samples came in, Leiber saw that the bottom of the bag looked greenish and discolored as a result of the plating process. She had the ingenious idea of applying crystal rhinestones to the base to cover up the flaws. The dazzling bag was a huge success and would become her trademark.
Born Judith Peto in Budapest, Leiber overcame many hardships before her breakthrough. At the start of World War II, she was working at the Pessl handbag company in Budapest where she quickly climbed the ranks to become a master craftswoman. When the war escalated, she and her Jewish family were forced by the Nazis to live in a cellar of a ghetto, and several of her relatives were killed in concentration camps. “I designed handbags in my head to get through the misery,” she said. After the liberation of Budapest, she married Gerson “Gus” Leiber, an American GI, and moved to New York. In 1948, she began working for the fashion house Nettie Rosenstein. One of her first major pieces was the handbag embroidered with glittering rhinestones and pearls carried by Mamie Eisenhower at the 1953 inaugural ball. In 1963, she finally set up her own company.
Leiber’s whimsical designs embellished with Swarovski crystals and semiprecious stones defied traditional notions of luxury handbags. She also created striking clutches and bags with leather and fine textiles from around the world. In her 65-year career, she designed over 3,500 bags, which have been worn by First Ladies including Nancy Reagan and Laura Bush, pop icons like Beyoncé and Jennifer Lopez and celebrities like Kim Kardashian and Kris Jenner (who collects Leiber’s handbags). In 2005, the Leiber Collection Museum opened in East Hampton, New York, as a permanent space to showcase her work. The minaudières remain coveted objects celebrated worldwide for their eclectic beauty and glamorous charm.
The value of a good handbag cannot be overstated — find a collection of vintage Judith Leiber handbags and other fashion accessories today on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Buchanan, MI
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
- Animal Motif Crystal Clutch In The Style Of Judith Leiber, Great Condition.Located in Buchanan, MIAnimal Motif Crystal Clutch In The Style Of Judith Leiber Great Condition, No Crystals missing. Silver Strap Inclosed.Category
20th Century Evening Bags and Minaudières
- Two Wool/Cashmer Designer Jacketse Blue Houndstooth, Deep Red Reversible Jacket.Located in Buchanan, MITWO WOOL/CASHMERE JACKETS. Comprising of a blue houndstooth jacket, and a red reversible jacket Priced per jacket. Approximately size 10-12Category
21st Century and Contemporary American Coats
- Amazing Russian Sable Coat, Double Breasted, 7/8 Coat with Fold Over CuffLocated in Buchanan, MIA Russian sable coat. Double breasted 7/8 sable coat with fold over cuff and a cape collar that can be worn closed around the neck or lower around the bust line. Labeled "Elan Furs"...Category
Late 20th Century Russian Swing Coats
- Three Sam Kori Greorge Courture Atelier Boucle Jackets. Approximately size 12-14Located in Buchanan, MIThree Sam Kori Greorge Courture Atelier Boucle Jackets In The Style Of Chanel. Each is a wool boucle collarless jacket in blue, brown, and red. Priced per jacket. Approximately s...Category
20th Century American Single-Breasted Jackets
- Atelier Versace Black Satin High Heels, Never Worn Size 7By Atelier VersaceLocated in Buchanan, MIAtelier Versace Black Satin High Heels, Never Worn Size 7Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian High Heels
- Atelier Versace Black Satin Sling Backs, Never Worn Size 7By Atelier VersaceLocated in Buchanan, MIAtelier Versace Black Satin Sling Backs, Never Worn Size 7Category
20th Century Italian High Heels
- Valentino Faille and Pleated Satin Clutch with Jeweled ChainBy ValentinoLocated in New York, NYValentino black faille and Signature red satin pleated clutch with jeweled shoulder chain from the 1980's. Each chain link is decorated with Swarovski crystals and the chain can be r...Category
1980s Italian Clutches
- Carlos Falchi Multi-Textured Exotic Skins Coco Brown ClutchBy Carlos FalchiLocated in New York, NYAs only Carlos Falchi can, This wonderful multi-texture combination of lizard, snake and pylon skin finished with lambskin leather piping along the edges as well as the interi...Category
1980s Spanish Clutches
- Edie Parker Carol Flames Acrylic Box ClutchBy Edie ParkerLocated in London, GBThis Edie Parker Carol clutch is rendered in hand poured acrylic and features a silver flame design and a drop in chain shoulder strap. Interior mirror with etched logo. Hand poured ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Clutches
- Edie Parker Jean Mirrored Corset Acrylic Box ClutchBy Edie ParkerLocated in London, GBVelvet ribbons lace across the mirrored front on this acrylic Edie Parker clutch. Polished kiss-lock clasp and hinge construction. The unlined interior has an inset vanity mirror. Fa...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Clutches
- Roberto Cavalli Mirror Effect Gilt Metal and Snake Ornament MinaudièreBy Roberto CavalliLocated in Paris, FRRoberto Cavalli minaudière in gold metal mirror effect and snake ornament in metal and rhinestones. Removable golden metal chain. Satin lining. Signed...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Evening Bags and Minaudières
- Valentino Leopard-Print Calf-Hair Fringe Clutch BagBy Valentino Garavani, ValentinoLocated in London, GBFun fringe lends eye-catching appeal to this luxe calfskin clutch from Valentino. Animal print calfskin, black fringed trim, top zip with pull, inside back wall zip pocket. Calfskin/...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Clutches
- Charles Pfister for Knoll Club Chair in Cognac LeatherBy Knoll, Charles PfisterLocated in Waalwijk, NLCharles Pfister for Knoll International, lounge chair, leather, United States, 1970s This lounge chair is designed as part of a lounge collection in 1971 bij Charles Pfister. Exe...Category
Vintage 1970s American Post-Modern Club ChairsMaterials
- Hermes Mini Lindy Magnolia Swift BNIBBy HermèsLocated in West Hollywood, CAHermes brand new in box mini lindy magnolia swift leather with palladium hardware. Date stamp U, 2022. Coveted new size , can be worn in three ways, also cr...Category
2010s French Shoulder Bags
- Swedish Designer, Sconce, Brass, Red-Lacquered Metal, Sweden, c. 1950sLocated in High Point, NCA brass and red-lacquered metal sconce designed and produced in Sweden, c. 1950s.Category
Vintage 1950s Swedish Scandinavian Modern Wall Lights and SconcesMaterials
- French Wooden Console Table w/Single Board Top & Raised on Fabulous Legs!Located in Atlanta, GAA French fruitwood console table with unusual legs. This contemporary table from France features a rectangular-shaped top comprised of a singl...Category
20th Century French Console TablesMaterials
- Estate GIA 2.74ct Natural Fancy Yellow Oval 3 Stone Diamond Platinum RingLocated in New York, NYA Superb ESTATE 3 STONE NATURAL FANCY "Cognac" Yellow Oval cut GIA 2.74ctw DIAMOND Ring. The Center Diamond is 2.25CT in Natural Fancy Brownish Yellow color, SI1 clarity (eye clear)...Category
Early 2000s Engagement RingsMaterials
Diamond, Yellow Diamond, Platinum, 18k Gold
Recently ViewedView All
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery