Chanel White Quilted Canvas & Black Calfskin Leather Mini Crossbody Tennis Bag
About the Item
In the years following the opening of her modest millinery shop, Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel became a pivotal designer of both fashionable casual wear and Paris haute couture as well as an icon and arbiter of 20th-century style with her bob haircut and pearls. Today vintage Chanel handbags, jackets and evening dresses are among the most sought-after clothing and accessories for fashion lovers all over the world.
The first Chanel shop was established in 1910 in Paris on rue Cambon by the young milliner Gabrielle Chanel (1883–1971), who had picked up the nickname “Coco” while working as a club singer. The boutique drew the attention of the Parisian fashion elite who popularized her wide-brimmed Chanel Modes hats. Soon she added a sportswear store in the Normandy resort town of Deauville, where Coco set the tone for her defining sense of style — traditionally masculine garments reimagined for feminine shapes, made from simple jersey fabric.
Effortless and elegant, Chanel's designs promoted comfort and grace in women’s wear that had been dominated in the previous century by complicated layers of fabric and cumbersome corsets. She followed this success with a couture house, opened in 1915 in Biarritz.
But Chanel was not born into a life of glamour. Following the death of her mother, her father left her in an orphanage where she lived until the age of 18. It was there that she learned to sew as well as appreciate the classic pairing of black and white as worn by the nuns. In 1926, she introduced her first little black dress, reclaiming a color that had once been reserved for mourning and working-class women. That same decade, she debuted her perfume, Chanel No. 5, as well as the Chanel suit with a fitted skirt, inspired by the boxy lines of men’s clothing and employing a sporty tweed.
Chanel closed her fashion operations during World War II, then returned to the industry in 1954 to design for the functional needs of modern women. Structure and wearability endured in all of Chanel’s clothing and accessories, like the quilted leather 2.55 handbag introduced in 1955 with its gold-chain shoulder strap that freed up a woman’s hands. Chanel's collarless jacket reacted against the constricting styles of Christian Dior's New Look, replacing them with a design that was timeless, an instant classic. The 1957 two-tone slingback pumps had a practical heel height while offering a bold statement in the black tip of the shoes.
After Coco Chanel died in 1971, the brand underwent several changes in leadership, including fashion designer Karl Lagerfeld, who took over as artistic director in 1983. Over the years, the company has continued to innovate, such as expanding into ready-to-wear fashion in 1978 and, in 2002, establishing a subsidiary company — Paraffection — dedicated to preserving the heritage skills of fashion artisan workshops. The House of Chanel still operates its flagship on rue Cambon in Paris, where it all began.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Bishop's Stortford, United Kingdom
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 14 days of delivery.
- CHANEL Black Quilted Lambskin Vintage Mini Classic Single Flap BagBy ChanelLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireCHANEL Black Quilted Lambskin Vintage Mini Classic Single Flap Bag Serial Number: 6600466 Age (Circa): 2000 Accompanied By: Care Booklet, Authenticity Card Authenticity Details: Au...Category
Early 2000s Italian Structured Shoulder Bags
- GUCCI Red Suede & Black Patent Leather Orphidia Shoulder BagBy GucciLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireGUCCI Red Suede & Black Patent Leather Orphidia Shoulder Bag Serial Number: 503877 520981 Age (Circa): 2020 Accompanied By: Gucci Dust Bag, Care Booklet, Leather Swatch...Category
2010s Crossbody Bags and Messenger Bags
- BALENCIAGA Rhinestone Embellished Suede Small HourglassBy BalenciagaLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireBALENCIAGA Rhinestone Embellished Suede Small Hourglass Serial Number: 593546-1272-R-562481 Age (Circa): 2022 Accompanied By: Balenciaga Dust Bag, Box, Care Booklet Authenticity Det...Category
2010s Italian Top Handle Bags
- CHANEL Burgundy Quilted Lambskin Mini Flap BagBy ChanelLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireCHANEL Burgundy Quilted Lambskin Mini Flap Bag Serial Number: 18806865 Age (Circa): 2015 Accompanied By: Chanel Dust Bag, Care Booklet, Authenticity Card Authenticity Details: Authe...Category
2010s Italian Structured Shoulder BagsFree Shipping
- CHANEL Red Quilted Lambskin Vintage XL Small Classic Single Flap BagBy ChanelLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireCHANEL Red Quilted Lambskin Vintage XL Small Classic Single Flap Bag Serial Number: 0609122 Age (Circa): 1988 Accompanied By: Chanel Dust Bag, Box, Authenticity Card Authenticity De...Category
1980s French Structured Shoulder Bags
- Chanel Black Quilted Caviar Leather Vintage Square Mini Flap BagBy ChanelLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireChanel Black Quilted Caviar Leather Vintage Square Mini Flap Bag Brand- Chanel Model- Square Mini Flap Bag Product Type- Crossbody, Shoulder Serial Number- 51***** Age- Circa 1997 A...Category
1990s French Crossbody Bags and Messenger Bags
- Gorgeous Hermès Jypsière 32 crossbody bag in Blue Jean Taurillon leather, PHWBy HermèsLocated in Paris, IDFBeautiful Hermes Jypsière 32 shoulder bag in Blue Jean Taurillon Clemence leather, palladium metal hardware, adjustable leather strap in Blue Taurillon leather allowing a shoulder or...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Crossbody Bags and Messenger Bags
- Valentino Garavani Small Rockstud Grainy Calfskin Crossbody BagBy Valentino GaravaniLocated in Scottsdale, AZSmall Valentino Garavani Rockstud grainy calfskin crossbody bag with platinum-finish metal studs and hardware. Features a studded front handle, adjustable and removable studded shoul...Category
2010s Italian Crossbody Bags and Messenger Bags
- Hermès Evelyne GM Shoulder Bag, Clemens Leather blue jeans, "I" in square - 2005By HermèsLocated in Stuttgart, DEHermès Silver Evelyne GM Shoulder Bag, Messenger Bag, Clemens Leather blue jeans, "I" in square - 2005 Paris with the authentic 94cm long blue jeans Hermes carrying strap and an additional adjustable long strap to carry the bag comfortably cross body. An outside pocket. A true daytime bag with ample room. So chic and sporty. About EVELYN BAG...Category
Early 2000s French Shoulder Bags
- Balenciaga Cotton Canvas Pochette Off White CrossbodyBy BalenciagaLocated in Freehold, NJPre-Owned 100% Authentic Balenciaga Cotton Canvas Pochette Off White Crossbody Black Leather Trim RATING: B...Very Good, well maintained, shows minor signs of wear MEASUREMENTS: H ...Category
2010s Italian Crossbody Bags and Messenger Bags
- LOUIS VUITTON Taiga Monogram Leather Outdoor Messenger Yellow BagBy Louis VuittonLocated in Freehold, NJPre-Owned 100% Authentic LOUIS VUITTON Taigarama Outdoor Messenger Yellow Bag RATING: A...excellent, near mint, has little to no signs of wear MATE...Category
2010s Italian Crossbody Bags and Messenger Bags
- HERMÈS HERBAG 31CM BLACK Canvas & Vache Hunter Leather with Palladium HardwareBy HermèsLocated in London, GBHermès Herbag 31cm in Black Canvas & Vache Hunter Leather with Palladium Hardware B Stamp / 2023 Accompanied by: Original receipt, Hermes box, dustbag, clochette, lock, two keys, ...Category
2010s European Crossbody Bags and Messenger Bags
- Azur Blue Italy Round Fish Vase Ceramiche Tadinate Handmade Pottery CoastalBy Ceramiche Artistiche CampioneLocated in Miami, FLMarked Azur Blue Italy Pottery Vase Round Fish Vase Ceramiche Tadinate Handmade Pottery Coastal Living Home Decor. Marked with the Ceramiche Tadin...Category
Late 20th Century Italian Mid-Century Modern VasesMaterials
- 1970s Vintage 'Nantucket' White Wicker Sculpture of a WhaleLocated in West Palm Beach, FL1970s Vintage 'Nantucket' White Wicker Sculpture of a Whale Italy, circa 1970s A unique 1970s Vintage 'Nantucket' White Wicker Sculpture of a Whale, from Italy and beautifully craf...Category
20th Century Italian Mid-Century Modern Figurative SculpturesMaterials
- Pair of Large Decorative Murano Red and Iridescent Goblet Glasses, Italy 1940sLocated in Roma, ITAmazing pair of large decorative Murano glasses. These stunning glasses were hand-made in Italy, Murano in the 1940s. The quality of these decorative goblet glasses is incredible, ...Category
Vintage 1940s Italian Art Deco GlassMaterials
Glass, Art Glass, Murano Glass
- Suzy Levian 14K Rose Gold 0.80 TDW Bezel Diamond Station NecklaceBy Suzy LevianLocated in Great Neck, NYAdorn yourself or your favorite person with the lovely elegance of this 14-karat rose and diamond necklace, which boasts 12 evenly spaced diamonds. Choose from multiple gold colors t...Category
21st Century and Contemporary American Contemporary Chain NecklacesMaterials
Diamond, White Diamond, Gold, 14k Gold, Rose Gold
- Winter Wonderland Christmas Decoration Set In GoldLocated in London, GBFor over 25 years we have been handmaking our pewter tree decorations with love and care at our workshop in the UK. Each year Dan and Diane produce new designs, so why not start your...Category
2010s British Contemporary Models and MiniaturesMaterials
Gold PlateFree Shipping
Recently ViewedView All
With a Wink, Karl Lagerfeld Sent This Egg-Carton-Shaped Chanel Bag Down the Runway
For the brand’s 2014–15 ready-to-wear show in Paris, the designer was inspired by a most unexpected place: the supermarket.
This Vintage Chanel Fur Muff Is Après-Ski Chic
It might not be as practical as a pair of mittens, but for something that looks this good, practicality really doesn't matter.