Items Similar to Whiting & Davis Gold Mesh Beggar's Purse, 1930s View More
Whiting & Davis Gold Mesh Beggar's Purse, 1930s
An ingenious design that kept handbags dainty despite having decent capacity, beggar's bags had round accordion-hinged mouths that expanded for filling. Beyond cool engineering this purse's added benefit is its engravable top, which has been left blank for future personalizing. Gold metal mesh pouch with expanding gatefold mouth and hinged metal cover; interior side pocket. Fully lined in peach silk faille. material: metal mesh, silk faille noteworthy: loosen dirt with baby toothbrush or compressed air repairs: restitched lining where loose at mouth condition: very good exterior with light surface wear and good interior with age-appropriate fabric discoloration and one previous repair measurements: height: 5 ½” width: 3” depth: 3” mouth: opens to 4” across chain drop: 4” label: Whiting & Davis
- DesignerWhiting & Davis
- In the Style OfArt Deco
- Place of OriginUnited States
- Material NotesAdjustablePocketChainSilk
- Condition DetailsLight exterior surface wear, age-appropriate fabric discoloration and one previous lining repair
- WearWear consistent with age and use.
- DimensionsH 5.5 in. x W 3 in. x D 3 in. x Dm 4 in.H 13.97 cm x W 7.62 cm x D 7.62 cm x Dm 10.16 cm
- Diameter4 in. (10.16 cm)
- Seller LocationPhoenix, AZ
- Seller Reference Number0228.14.003
- Reference NumberLU86434004083
Buyer Protection Guaranteed
Our Promise To You: If you're not happy with the way an item arrived, we'll work with you and the seller to reach an optimal resolution. Read more
Shipping, Returns & Payment
- ShippingRates vary by destination and complexityShipping methods are determined by item size, type, fragility and specific characteristics.Shipping costs are calculated based on carrier rates, delivery distance and packing complexity.
- Return Policy
This item can be returned within 1 day of delivery.View details
- Online Payment Methods1stdibs accepts the following payment methods
- Item InvoiceGenerate an invoice that you can customize and print.
About the Seller
5 / 5
1stdibs seller since 2017
Located in Phoenix, AZ
You may also contact the seller by phoneCall seller through 1stdibs
More From This Seller
Whiting & Davis Watercolor Dresden Mesh Evening...
1920s Evening Bags and Minaudières
Demure pointed fringe and an Impressionist watercolor print are the perfect counterpoint to a flapper dress unsafe to take home to mother. Just large enough for a credit card and som...
Denise Francelle Paris Tambour Embroidery Eveni...
Denise Francelle, Denise Francelle
1960s Evening Bags and Minaudières
Open into the 2010s, Denise Francelle was a regular Paris stop for Fashion Week attendees as well as icons like Grace Kelly and Rita Hayworth. In keeping with the store’s focus on lu...
Jolles Original Austrian Petit Point Tapestry E...
1930s Evening Bags and Minaudières
From the Victorian era through the 1930s, petit point and tapestry handbags enjoyed overwhelming popularity among the fashionable set, with the finest examples containing a minimum o...
Hermès Sac Cordelière White Patent Leather Enve...
1950s Top Handle Bags
Though it is almost 70 years old, this magnificent handbag is as lustrous and stylish as the day it was made in 1951. Best of all it is true, bright white and an ideal complement to ...