Vintage Hermès Sac Cordelière White Patent Leather Envelope Handbag- 25 cm, 1951
About the Item
- Dimensions:Height: 6 in (15.24 cm)Depth: 2.5 in (6.35 cm)Length: 9.75 in (24.77 cm)
- Style:Sac Cordelière (In the Style Of)
- Place of Origin:France
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. Very light corner wear on bottom gusset and gentle discoloration to inside envelope flap at touch points (see photos).
- Seller Location:Tucson, AZ
- Reference Number:Seller: 0923.15.0021stDibs: LU86433887813
For Hermès, what began as a maker of leather equestrian goods for European noblemen would eventually grow into one of the most storied fashion labels in the world. In 1837, German-born French entrepreneur Thierry Hermès opened a saddle and harness purveyor in Paris. Gradually, the house extended into accessories and luggage for its riders, and today, in paying homage to its origins, the family-run luxury brand resurfaces horse motifs in everything from clothing and modernist jewelry to pillows and handbags.
The first top-handled bag ever produced by Hermès was the Haut à courroies, which made its debut in 1892. A tall bag secured with a folded leather flap (fastened with bridle-inspired straps), it was designed to transport riding boots and a harness. As the world made the switch from horse to automobile, the bag adapted, becoming a multifunctional travel satchel instead of a designated saddlebag. Today, 120 years later, the HAC remains in Hermès’s line — and its distinctive flap and clasping straps have laid the groundwork for some of the house’s other iconic bags.
In the 1930s, Robert Dumas (son-in-law to Émile-Maurice Hermès, Thierry’s grandson) designed a smaller, trapezoidal take on the flap bag with a handle and two side straps. Later, actress Grace Kelly, then engaged to Prince Rainier of Monaco, is said to have used one of these bags to conceal her pregnancy during the 1950s. Because she was photographed constantly, the coverage catapulted her handbag to international popularity. In 1977, Hermès officially renamed the model for her, and the Kelly bag was born. Each Kelly bag takes between 18 and 25 hours to produce, and its 680 hand stitches owe solely to one Hermès artisan.
Robert Dumas was also responsible for another one of the brand’s most iconic offerings: the launch of its first silk scarf on the occasion of Hermès’s 100th anniversary in 1937. Based on a woodblock designed by Dumas and printed on Chinese silk, the accessory was an immediate hit.
Today, vintage Hermès scarves, typically adorned in rich colors and elaborate patterns, serve many functions, just as they did back then. Well-heeled women wear it on their heads, around their necks and, in a genius piece of cross-promotion, tied to the straps of their Hermès bags. Kelly even once used one as a sling for her broken arm.
In 1981, Robert Dumas’s son Jean-Louis Dumas, then Hermès chairman, found himself sitting next to French actress and musician Jane Birkin on a plane, where she was complaining about finding a suitable carryall for the necessary accoutrements of motherhood. After the two travelers were properly introduced, Birkin helped design Jean-Louis’s most famous contribution to the Hermès canon: the Birkin bag, a roomy, square catchall with the HAC’s trademark leather flap top and the addition of a lock and key. Owing to the brand’s legendary commitment to deft, handcrafted construction, the Birkin is an investment that is coveted by collectors everywhere.
While the Kelly and Birkin may be standouts, gracing the arms of everyone from royal heiresses to hip-hop stars in the past few decades, the handbags are but a small part of Hermès’s fashion offerings. Since the 1920s, the brand has produced some of the most desirable leather goods in the world. There’s the Constance bag, a favorite of Jacqueline Kennedy, the recently relaunched 1970s-era Evelyne and, on the vintage market, a slew of designs dating back to the 1920s.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Tucson, AZ
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
- Longchamps Paris Ivory Floral Micro Bead Evening Bag w Chain Handle, 1950sBy LongchampsLocated in Tucson, AZA rare Longchamps--not Longchamp--evening purse made even more noteworthy by its swirling micro bead pattern, punctuated by delicate pink and blue pavé flowers. A diminutive but powerful statement accessory. Petite chain handle evening bag with patterned gilt top frame; covered in ivory seed beads and pavé beaded flowers front and back. Open interior compartment; kiss clasp...Category
1950s French Evening Bags and Minaudières
- Art Deco Black Celluloid and Rhinestone Dagger Lipstick Minaudière, 1930sLocated in Tucson, AZA bygone bauble of extreme rarity and beauty, this Celluloid reticule is a brilliant example of Art Deco craftsmanship. Large enough for only a lipstick, a key and some “mad money,” it is nevertheless a statement accessory that can stand up to the most exquisite evening gown. A collectible museum piece that belies its near century of history. Celluloid dagger minaudière with silk bottom tassel and silk rope top handle with caviar bead ball finial. Front face features diagonal row of 15 crystal clear rhinestones surrounded by Art Deco engraving...Category
1930s Unknown Evening Bags and Minaudières
- Tyrolean Bronze Caviar Bead Evening Bag w 24-Karat Gold Plate Surround, 1950sLocated in Tucson, AZAs intricate as an Italian mosaic but as impermeable as a safe, this handbag is both a strongbox and a piece of art. Fully crusted with seed beads—some of which are doubled for extra topography—the purse...Category
1950s American Evening Bags and Minaudières
- Josef Attrib. Silk Brocade Chinoiserie Handbag w Cabochon Studded Flap, 1950sBy Bags by JosefLocated in Tucson, AZSubtly striking, this exquisite silk handbag features a muted Chinoiserie motif that would be remarkable on its own were it not upstaged by its unique figured brass top lid, which is...Category
1950s French Evening Bags and Minaudières
- Edwardian Jeweled Pale Green Trinity Plate Needlepoint Minaudière Handbag, 1900sLocated in Tucson, AZEqually as coveted by the well-bred Victorienne as by the gin-baby flapper, Trinity Plate reticules and minaudières were THE accessory of choice for fash...Category
Early 1900s American Evening Bags and Minaudières
- Black Pavé Basketweave Beaded Cigarette or Business Card Case – Hong Kong, 1960sLocated in Tucson, AZA glimpse back to a time when cigarettes abounded on airplanes, in movie theaters and grocery stores, this cigarette case would have conveyed ladylike sophistication in even the smokiest room. Tall enough for filtered cigarettes or business cards, its beaded basketweave pattern looks like caviar and throws understated sparkles even in low light. Black soft-sided cigarette case with all over basketweave pattern; “Star Brand...Category
1960s Hong Kong Wallets and Small Accessories
- La Jeunesse Gold Snakeskin/Mesh Evening BagLocated in Alford, MALa Jeunesse handbags are unique, luxurious, and sought after. This example is composed of gold snakeskin that is covered by a fine white mesh, toni...Category
Mid-20th Century American Evening Bags and Minaudières
- 1940s Art Deco Ebony Iridescent Glass Beaded Evening PurseLocated in University City, MO1940s Exquisite ebony art deco glass carnival beaded evening purse The elegant oval-shaped evening bag is encrusted with elaborate black iridisc...Category
1940s Unknown Evening Bags and Minaudières
- Calvin Klein white silk small pochetteBy Calvin KleinLocated in Capri, ITCalvin Klein white silk small pochette measurements: 13 cm * 23 cmCategory
1990s Italian Evening Bags and Minaudières
- Chanel Vanity Case Micro Mini 90s Vintage Iridescent Bronze Rare Patent ClutchBy ChanelLocated in Miami, FLChanel Micro Mini 90s Vintage Patent Metallic Bronze Iridescent Vanity Case Rare 1994 [VINTAGE 28 Years} Diamond stitch iridescent patent leather Cl...Category
1990s French Evening Bags and Minaudières
- Hermes Beton 25cm Togo Gold Hardware Off White Baby Birkin Bag U Stamp, 2022By HermèsLocated in New York, NYHermes Beton 25cm Togo Gold Hardware Off White Baby Birkin Bag U Stamp, 2022 Brand New in Box. Store Fresh. Pristine Condition (with plastic on hardware)...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Top Handle Bags
- Hermes Birkin 25 Sellier Black Epsom Gold Hardware U Stamp, 2022 RAREBy HermèsLocated in New York, NYHermes Birkin 25cm Sellier Black Epsom Gold Hardware U Stamp, 2022 RARE Brand New in Box. Store Fresh. Pristine Condition (with plastic on hardware) Perfect gift! Comes in full set with clochette, lock, keys, raincoat, dust bag, and Hermes box. Just purchased from Hermes store- bag bears new interior 2022 U Stamp. This gorgeous Black Birkin 25cm Sellier is simply spectacular! Sellier Birkins are a rare find, very limited in production and offered to Hermes VIP's. Stitched on the outside, 25cm Sellier Birkins give you the comfort and ease of a Baby Birkin as well as the structure and elegance of a Baby Kelly. This precious jewel is in the ultimate classic Black and accented with luxurious gold hardware. The most sought-after combination! In low-maintenance Epsom leather which is resistant to rain, stains and scratches. If you do not have a Baby Sellier Birkin yet, you must! Such an exquisite and elegant look beyond perfect from day to night! Wear it with sneakers and jeans; wear it with heels and a dress. Such an uber chic look in the best most classic color. Don't hesitate- Sellier Birkins have an exquisite look and are a very rare find! This sexy VIP jewel will turn heads everywhere you go! Gold Breloque Charm...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Top Handle Bags
- X-Large Bubble Chandelier in Natural Cotton and Satin Brass by PelleBy Jean and Oliver PelleLocated in Brooklyn, NYEthereal and iconic, the bubble chandelier is a modern re-interpretation of the crystal chandelier. Its luminous constellation of delicate glass globes adds beauty and depth to any i...Category
21st Century and Contemporary American Chandeliers and PendantsMaterials
- Seletti Sofa “Comfy”, Charcoal GreyBy SelettiLocated in Doral, FLFrom its very first year in 1964, Seletti in Cicognara, Mantova, has followed its principle of professionality service and constant research to strive for betterness innovation and o...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Modern SofasMaterials
Cotton, Polyester, Wood
- HERMES Kelly 35 Crocodile Shiny Black BagBy HermèsLocated in Paris, FRMAGNIFICENT Kelly 35 bag from the House of HERMES in shiny black porosus crocodile. The jewelry is gold plated. On each tab, inscription "HERMES Paris". It...Category
1940s French Top Handle Bags
- 1925s Art Deco 2 Carat Emeralds 2.20 Carat Diamonds Platinum RingLocated in Poitiers, FRRing in platinum. Sublime art deco ring, its entire platinum setting is closed set on its top with a Colombian emerald- cut emerald and an antique- cut diamond. This duo of gems is surmounted on either side by an antique brilliant- cut diamond. The basket is crossed by finely made arabesques as well as the start of the ring which is also set on either side with an antique brilliant- cut diamond. Weight of the main diamond: approximately 2 carats. Estimated quality: I / J VVS. Weight of the emerald: about 2 carats. Total weight of other diamonds: approximately 0.20 carat. Height: 12.5 mm, width: 16.5 mm, thickness: approximately 5.5 mm, width of the ring at the base: 2 mm. Total weight of the jewel: approximately 6.3 g. US Size : 6,5 ; Free resize, please contact us. Antique jewel - Work from the 1925s, Art Deco ring. Our opinion: A high quality setting made with perfection and 2 important and magnificent...Category
Vintage 1920s French Art Deco Engagement RingsMaterials
Diamond, White Diamond, Emerald, Platinum
- Optimism Painting I - acrylic on woodBy Stuart MöllerLocated in London, GBOptimism Painting I - acrylic & mixed media on wood, 2019 16 x 16" inches / 41 x 41 cm mint condition - original and unique piece. Stuart Möller, German and born in Kabul Afghanis...Category
2010s Abstract Abstract PaintingsMaterials
Recently ViewedView All
This Hermès Baseball Bag Is, Ahem, a Home Run
The beloved Bolide, one of the luxury house’s classic travel pieces, gets a playful spin in this 2018 special edition.
The Stories behind the Most Famous Luxury Fashion Logos
From Chanel to YSL, the logos of some legacy fashion houses spark instant brand recognition and have come to symbolize a kind of luxury that feels at once aspirational and attainable.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery