Chanel Vintage Red Leather Scallop Quilted Flap Bag
About the Item
- Place of Origin:
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:Palm Beach, FL
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU1028117163462
In the years following the opening of her modest millinery shop, Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel became a pivotal designer of both fashionable casual wear and Paris haute couture as well as an icon and arbiter of 20th-century style with her bob haircut and pearls. Today vintage Chanel handbags, jackets and evening dresses are among the most sought-after clothing and accessories for fashion lovers all over the world.
The first Chanel shop was established in 1910 in Paris on rue Cambon by the young milliner Gabrielle Chanel (1883–1971), who had picked up the nickname “Coco” while working as a club singer. The boutique drew the attention of the Parisian fashion elite who popularized her wide-brimmed Chanel Modes hats. Soon she added a sportswear store in the Normandy resort town of Deauville, where Coco set the tone for her defining sense of style — traditionally masculine garments reimagined for feminine shapes, made from simple jersey fabric.
Effortless and elegant, Chanel's designs promoted comfort and grace in women’s wear that had been dominated in the previous century by complicated layers of fabric and cumbersome corsets. She followed this success with a couture house, opened in 1915 in Biarritz.
But Chanel was not born into a life of glamour. Following the death of her mother, her father left her in an orphanage where she lived until the age of 18. It was there that she learned to sew as well as appreciate the classic pairing of black and white as worn by the nuns. In 1926, she introduced her first little black dress, reclaiming a color that had once been reserved for mourning and working-class women. That same decade, she debuted her perfume, Chanel No. 5, as well as the Chanel suit with a fitted skirt, inspired by the boxy lines of men’s clothing and employing a sporty tweed.
Chanel closed her fashion operations during World War II, then returned to the industry in 1954 to design for the functional needs of modern women. Structure and wearability endured in all of Chanel’s clothing and accessories, like the quilted leather 2.55 handbag introduced in 1955 with its gold-chain shoulder strap that freed up a woman’s hands. Chanel's collarless jacket reacted against the constricting styles of Christian Dior's New Look, replacing them with a design that was timeless, an instant classic. The 1957 two-tone slingback pumps had a practical heel height while offering a bold statement in the black tip of the shoes.
After Coco Chanel died in 1971, the brand underwent several changes in leadership, including fashion designer Karl Lagerfeld, who took over as artistic director in 1983. Over the years, the company has continued to innovate, such as expanding into ready-to-wear fashion in 1978 and, in 2002, establishing a subsidiary company — Paraffection — dedicated to preserving the heritage skills of fashion artisan workshops. The House of Chanel still operates its flagship on rue Cambon in Paris, where it all began.
Browse vintage Chanel bags, evening dresses, shoes, jewelry and other clothing and accessories on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Palm Beach, FL
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- Chanel Red Lambskin Paris Byzance Takeaway Flap BagBy ChanelLocated in Palm Beach, FLThis authentic Chanel Red Lambskin Paris Byzance Takeaway Flap Bag is in great condition. From the 2011 collection, the edgy take on a reissue flap bag...Category
2010s Italian Structured Shoulder Bags
- Chanel Red Lambskin Maxi Flap BagBy ChanelLocated in Palm Beach, FLThis authentic Chanel Red Lambskin Maxi Flap Bag is in pristine condition. Timeless and beautiful, the Maxi in bright red with silver hardware is guaran...Category
2010s Structured Shoulder Bags
- Chanel Red Distressed Lambskin 2.55 Reissue Flap BagBy ChanelLocated in Palm Beach, FLThis authentic Chanel Red Distressed Lambskin Reissue Flap Bag is in excellent condition. The 2.55 variation is a timeless collectible and is strikingly beautiful in lipstick red wi...Category
2010s Structured Shoulder Bags
- Chanel Red Caviar Leather Crossbody BagBy ChanelLocated in Palm Beach, FLThis authentic Chanel Red Caviar Leather Crossbody Bag is in great condition. Beloved camera bag silhouette in bright red durable caviar leat...Category
2010s European Structured Shoulder Bags
- Hermès Red Clemence Victoria II BagBy HermèsLocated in Palm Beach, FLThis authentic Hermès Red Clemence Victoria II Bag is in excellent plus condition. The relaxed silhouette is roomy and soft to the hand in textured lipsti...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Top Handle Bags
- Chanel Red Fancy Felt Flap BagBy ChanelLocated in Palm Beach, FLThis authentic Chanel Red Fancy Felt Flap Bag is in pristine condition. A festive take on the Class Flap, this bold red version features velvet whipstitched edges and aged silver ha...Category
Late 20th Century European Structured Shoulder Bags
- Louis Vuitton Red Leather Opera Line Delphes Messenger Flap Bag 1013lv9By Louis VuittonLocated in Dix hills, NYDate Code/Serial Number: MI0911 Made In: France Measurements: Length: 11" Width: 1.5" Height: 8.5" Shoulder Handle Drop: 8" OVERALL VERY GOOD CONDITION ( 7.5/10 or B+ ) Signs ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Shoulder Bags
- Chanel Red Quilted Patent Bowling Chain Bag 1123c28By ChanelLocated in Dix hills, NYChanel Red Quilted Patent Bowling Chain Bag 1123c28 Date Code/Serial Number: 15233505 Made In: Italy Measurements: Length: 13" Width: 6" Height: 6" Shoulder Handle Drop: 8" OVE...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Shoulder Bags
- CHANEL CC Red Lizard Exotic Gold Small Evening Shoulder Camera Shoulder BagBy ChanelLocated in Chicago, ILPre-Owned Vintage Condition From 1988 Collection Lizard Leather Lining Gold Tone Hardware Measures 7" W x 5" H x 2.75" D Strap Drop 17.75" Includes Authenticity Card 100% Authentici...Category
Late 20th Century Shoulder Bags$6,740 Sale Price20% Off
- HERMES Red Suede Vespa Palladium Hardware Small Crossbody Shoulder BagBy HermèsLocated in Chicago, ILPre-Owned Vintage Condition From 2004 Collection Suede Palladium Tone Hardware Measures 7" W x 7" H x 2.5" D Strap Drop 22” 100% Authenticity Guaranteed by NEWFOUND LUXURYCategory
21st Century and Contemporary Shoulder Bags$5,540 Sale Price20% Off
- CHANEL Red Caviar Quilted Leather Gold Hardware Small Shoulder Flap BagBy ChanelLocated in Chicago, ILPre-Owned Vintage Condition From 1994 Collection Caviar Leather Gold Tone Hardware Measures 7" W x 6" H x 2.75" D Shoulder Strap Drop 23.5" Includes Authenticity Card, Dust Bag and ...Category
Late 20th Century Shoulder Bags$9,540 Sale Price20% Off
- CHANEL Red Caviar Leather Gold Hardware Jumbo Evening Shoulder Flap BagBy ChanelLocated in Chicago, ILPre-Owned Vintage Condition From 1994 Collection Caviar Leather Gold Tone Hardware Leather Lining Measures 11.75" W x 8.75" H x 3" D Shoulder Strap Drop 24" Includes Authenticity Ca...Category
Late 20th Century Evening Bags and Minaudières$14,340 Sale Price20% OffFree Shipping
Recently ViewedView More
With a Wink, Karl Lagerfeld Sent This Egg-Carton-Shaped Chanel Bag Down the Runway
For the brand’s 2014–15 ready-to-wear show in Paris, the designer was inspired by a most unexpected place: the supermarket.
This Vintage Chanel Fur Muff Is Après-Ski Chic
It might not be as practical as a pair of mittens, but for something that looks this good, practicality really doesn't matter.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery