HERMES Red Suede Vespa Palladium Hardware Small Crossbody Shoulder Bag
View Similar Items
HERMES Red Suede Vespa Palladium Hardware Small Crossbody Shoulder Bag
About the Manufacturer
For Hermès, what began as a maker of leather equestrian goods for European noblemen would eventually grow into one of the most storied fashion labels in the world. In 1837, German-born French entrepreneur Thierry Hermès opened a saddle and harness purveyor in Paris. Gradually, the house extended into accessories and luggage for its riders, and today, in paying homage to its origins, the family-run luxury brand resurfaces horse motifs in everything from clothing and modernist jewelry to pillows and handbags.
The first top-handled bag ever produced by Hermès was the Haut à courroies, which made its debut in 1892. A tall bag secured with a folded leather flap (fastened with bridle-inspired straps), it was designed to transport riding boots and a harness. As the world made the switch from horse to automobile, the bag adapted, becoming a multifunctional travel satchel instead of a designated saddlebag. Today, 120 years later, the HAC remains in Hermès’s line — and its distinctive flap and clasping straps have laid the groundwork for some of the house’s other iconic bags.
In the 1930s, Robert Dumas (son-in-law to Émile-Maurice Hermès, Thierry’s grandson) designed a smaller, trapezoidal take on the flap bag with a handle and two side straps. Later, actress Grace Kelly, then engaged to Prince Rainier of Monaco, is said to have used one of these bags to conceal her pregnancy during the 1950s. Because she was photographed constantly, the coverage catapulted her handbag to international popularity. In 1977, Hermès officially renamed the model for her, and the Kelly bag was born. Each Kelly bag takes between 18 and 25 hours to produce, and its 680 hand stitches owe solely to one Hermès artisan.
Robert Dumas was also responsible for another one of the brand’s most iconic offerings: the launch of its first silk scarf on the occasion of Hermès’s 100th anniversary in 1937. Based on a woodblock designed by Dumas and printed on Chinese silk, the accessory was an immediate hit.
Today, vintage Hermès scarves, typically adorned in rich colors and elaborate patterns, serve many functions, just as they did back then. Well-heeled women wear it on their heads, around their necks and, in a genius piece of cross-promotion, tied to the straps of their Hermès bags. Kelly even once used one as a sling for her broken arm.
In 1981, Robert Dumas’s son Jean-Louis Dumas, then Hermès chairman, found himself sitting next to French actress and musician Jane Birkin on a plane, where she was complaining about finding a suitable carryall for the necessary accoutrements of motherhood. After the two travelers were properly introduced, Birkin helped design Jean-Louis’s most famous contribution to the Hermès canon: the Birkin bag, a roomy, square catchall with the HAC’s trademark leather flap top and the addition of a lock and key. Owing to the brand’s legendary commitment to deft, handcrafted construction, the Birkin is an investment that is coveted by collectors everywhere.
While the Kelly and Birkin may be standouts, gracing the arms of everyone from royal heiresses to hip-hop stars in the past few decades, the handbags are but a small part of Hermès’s fashion offerings. Since the 1920s, the brand has produced some of the most desirable leather goods in the world. There’s the Constance bag, a favorite of Jacqueline Kennedy, the recently relaunched 1970s-era Evelyne and, on the vintage market, a slew of designs dating back to the 1920s.
- HERMES NEW Constance 24 Swift Leather Silk Marble Printed Rose Shoulder Flap BagBy HermèsLocated in Chicago, ILNew Condition From 2022 Collection Rose Azalee Rose Mexico Swift Leather Palladium Leather Measures 9" W x 7.5" H x 2.75" D Shoulder Strap Drop 17.5" Includes Strap, Dust Bag and Box...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Shoulder Bags$59,925Free Shipping
- HERMES Kelly 28 Sellier Red Leather Gold Evening Top Handle Bag Shoulder BagBy HermèsLocated in Chicago, ILPre-Owned Vintage Condition From 1994 Collection Couchevel Leather Gold Tone Hardware Leather Lining Measures 11" W x 8.25" H x 4.25" D Handle Drop 4" Strap Drop 17" Includes Clochet...Category
Late 20th Century Top Handle Bags$27,525Free Shipping
- CHANEL CC Red Lizard Exotic Gold Small Evening Shoulder Camera Shoulder BagBy ChanelLocated in Chicago, ILPre-Owned Vintage Condition From 1988 Collection Lizard Leather Lining Gold Tone Hardware Measures 7" W x 5" H x 2.75" D Strap Drop 17.75" Includes Authenticity Card 100% Authentici...Category
Late 20th Century Shoulder Bags
- CHANEL Red Caviar Leather Gold Jumbo Evening Shoulder Flap BagBy ChanelLocated in Chicago, ILPre-Owned Vintage Condition From 1991 Collection Caviar Leather Gold Tone Hardware 11.75” W x 8.75” H x 3” D Strap Drop 24” Includes Authenticity Card 100% Authenticity GuaranteedCategory
21st Century and Contemporary Shoulder Bags$23,925Free Shipping
- CHANEL Red Caviar Leather Gold Hardware Medium Diana Evening Shoulder Flap BagBy ChanelLocated in Chicago, ILPre-Owned Vintage Condition From 1994 Collection Caviar Leather Gold Tone Hardware Leather Lining Measures 9.75" W x 6.25" H x 2.75" D Shoulder Strap Drop 19.5" Includes Authentic...Category
Late 20th Century Shoulder Bags$20,525Free Shipping
- CHANEL Red Caviar Leather Gold Hardware Jumbo Evening Shoulder Flap BagBy ChanelLocated in Chicago, ILPre-Owned Vintage Condition From 1994 Collection Caviar Leather Gold Tone Hardware Leather Lining Measures 11.75" W x 8.75" H x 3" D Shoulder Strap Drop 24" Includes Authenticity Ca...Category
Late 20th Century Evening Bags and Minaudières$17,925Free Shipping
- HERMES Mini Constance in Orange Mysore Goat LeatherBy HermèsLocated in Paris, FRHERMES Mini Constance in Orange Mysore goat Leather. Silver plate Hardware. The H buckle is enamel. In very good exterior condition, pen mark under the ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Shoulder Bags
- RODO Italy Square Orange Wicker Gold Chain Shoulder Bag 1970sBy RodoLocated in West Palm Beach, FLRODO Italy square orange wicker, thin gold chain shoulder bag from the 1970s. Pillow shaped square wicker bag with a glazed orange finish, Long thin gold sh...Category
1970s Italian Structured Shoulder Bags
- LOUIS VUITTON Alligator Mat Red BagBy Louis VuittonLocated in Paris, FRLimited series from the Maison Louis Vuitton, this bag is exceptional for its perfect manufacturing worthy of the great leatherworkers. It is in mat red alligator. The attributes are...Category
2010s French Shoulder Bags
- New Hermes Rouge de Coeur Mini Evelyne in BoxLocated in West Hollywood, CAHermès mini Evelyne bag in rouge de coeur Taurillon Clemence leather with palladium hardware. Date stamp D for 2019. Brand new in box with orig...Category
2010s Crossbody Bags and Messenger Bags
- CHANEL Red Caviar Leather Vintage XL Classic Single Flap BagBy ChanelLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireCHANEL Red Caviar Leather Vintage XL Classic Single Flap Bag Serial Number: 3390577 Age (Circa): 1994 Accompanied By: Chanel Dust Bag, Authenticity Card Authenticity Details: Authe...Category
1990s Italian Structured Shoulder Bags$5,447Free Shipping
- CHANEL Red Quilted Lambskin Vintage Mini Full Flap BagBy ChanelLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireCHANEL Red Quilted Lambskin Vintage Mini Full Flap Bag Serial Number: 1280499 Age (Circa): 1989 Accompanied By: Chanel Dust Bag, Authenticity Card Auth...Category
1980s French Structured Shoulder Bags$4,828Free Shipping
Recently ViewedView All
This Hermès Baseball Bag Is, Ahem, a Home Run
The beloved Bolide, one of the luxury house’s classic travel pieces, gets a playful spin in this 2018 special edition.
The Stories behind the Most Famous Luxury Fashion Logos
From Chanel to YSL, the logos of some legacy fashion houses spark instant brand recognition and have come to symbolize a kind of luxury that feels at once aspirational and attainable.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery