very rare HERMES Farming Picnic Osier bag in wicker and veau barenia leather
View Similar Items
- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
very rare HERMES Farming Picnic Osier bag in wicker and veau barenia leather
- Place of Origin
- Material Notesveau barenia leather, wicker
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use. Condition is new. Plastic protective sticker remains on interior hook. Very minor, light marks to barenia leather from storage/handling.
- Seller LocationSan Fransisco, CA
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU812800253
About the Designer
For Hermès, what began as a maker of leather equestrian goods for European noblemen would eventually grow into one of the most storied fashion labels in the world. In 1837, German-born French entrepreneur Thierry Hermès opened a saddle and harness purveyor in Paris. Gradually, the house extended into accessories and luggage for its riders, and today, in paying homage to its origins, the family-run luxury brand resurfaces horse motifs in everything from clothing and modernist jewelry to pillows and handbags.
The first top-handled bag ever produced by Hermès was the Haut à courroies, which made its debut in 1892. A tall bag secured with a folded leather flap (fastened with bridle-inspired straps), it was designed to transport riding boots and a harness. As the world made the switch from horse to automobile, the bag adapted, becoming a multifunctional travel satchel instead of a designated saddlebag. Today, 120 years later, the HAC remains in Hermès’s line — and its distinctive flap and clasping straps have laid the groundwork for some of the house’s other iconic bags.
In the 1930s, Robert Dumas (son-in-law to Émile-Maurice Hermès, Thierry’s grandson) designed a smaller, trapezoidal take on the flap bag with a handle and two side straps. Later, actress Grace Kelly, then engaged to Prince Rainier of Monaco, is said to have used one of these bags to conceal her pregnancy during the 1950s. Because she was photographed constantly, the coverage catapulted her handbag to international popularity. In 1977, Hermès officially renamed the model for her, and the Kelly bag was born. Each Kelly bag takes between 18 and 25 hours to produce, and its 680 hand stitches owe solely to one Hermès artisan.
Robert Dumas was also responsible for another one of the brand’s most iconic offerings: the launch of its first silk scarf on the occasion of Hermès’s 100th anniversary in 1937. Based on a woodblock designed by Dumas and printed on Chinese silk, the accessory was an immediate hit.
Today, vintage Hermès scarves, typically adorned in rich colors and elaborate patterns, serve many functions, just as they did back then. Well-heeled women wear it on their heads, around their necks and, in a genius piece of cross-promotion, tied to the straps of their Hermès bags. Kelly even once used one as a sling for her broken arm.
In 1981, Robert Dumas’s son Jean-Louis Dumas, then Hermès chairman, found himself sitting next to French actress and musician Jane Birkin on a plane, where she was complaining about finding a suitable carryall for the necessary accoutrements of motherhood. After the two travelers were properly introduced, Birkin helped design Jean-Louis’s most famous contribution to the Hermès canon: the Birkin bag, a roomy, square catchall with the HAC’s trademark leather flap top and the addition of a lock and key. Owing to the brand’s legendary commitment to deft, handcrafted construction, the Birkin is an investment that is coveted by collectors everywhere.
While the Kelly and Birkin may be standouts, gracing the arms of everyone from royal heiresses to hip-hop stars in the past few decades, the handbags are but a small part of Hermès’s fashion offerings. Since the 1920s, the brand has produced some of the most desirable leather goods in the world. There’s the Constance bag, a favorite of Jacqueline Kennedy, the recently relaunched 1970s-era Evelyne and, on the vintage market, a slew of designs dating back to the 1920s.
Good design never goes out of style. Find a variety of vintage Hermès handbags, day dresses, shoes and more on 1stDibs.
- new CELINE Phoebe Philo black leather biker bag with silver grommetsBy Phoebe PhiloLocated in San Fransisco, CABlack leather 'biker bag' with silver studs and yellow suede lining designed by Phoebe Philo exactly as seen on the Celine spring 2016 runway. Bag is very large. It measures approxim...Category
2010s Italian Shoulder Bags
- 1980's BOTTEGA VENETA large grey woven leather bagBy Bottega VenetaLocated in San Fransisco, CAElephant-Grey, woven leather bag from Bottega Veneta dating to the late 1980's. Bag measures approximately 16" tall by 10" wide seam to seam (it's actual wider and taller depending o...Category
1980s Italian Hobo Bags
- 1980's CARLOS FALCHI asymmetrical snakeskin patchwork clutch bag with strapBy Carlos FalchiLocated in San Fransisco, CAAsymmetrically shaped snakeskin patchwork clutch with thin concealable leather strap designed by Carlos Falchi dating to the 1980's. One interior pocket. Made in the U.S. Very good c...Category
1980s American Clutches
- 2005 TOM FORD for YVES SAINT LAURENT suede & leather bag with wood beadsBy Tom Ford for Yves Saint Laurent, Yves Saint Laurent Rive GaucheLocated in San Fransisco, CAVery interesting black suede and leather handbag with brown wooden beading and brass hardware from Yves Saint Laurent dating to the 2005 as designed by Tom Ford for Yves Saint Lauren...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Shoulder Bags
- Celine large red classic box leather bag with convertible strapBy CelineLocated in San Fransisco, CASupple, smooth red leather bag with antiqued brasstone hardware designed by Phoebe Philo for Celine Spring 2012. Bag has a fold-over front flap with push lock closure. Bag measures a...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Clutches
- 1970's HERMES bordeaux box leather pochette clutch with wrist strapBy HermèsLocated in San Fransisco, CABordeaux, box leather pochette with rich patina and gunmetal hardware including working lock and key made by Hermes dating to the late 1970's. Can be used for day or night. Pochette ...Category
1970s French Clutches
- Hermès Natural Swift & Faubourg Rainbow Silky Trim 31 PHWBy HermèsLocated in New York, NYListing Title: Hermès Natural Swift & Faubourg Rainbow Silky Trim 31 PHW SKU: 114768 Condition: Pre-owned (3000) Handbag Condition: Mint Condition Comments:...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Shoulder Bags
- Hermes Lindy Cream Leather Shoulder Duffle Bag, 2008By HermèsLocated in Los Angeles, CADuffle by Hermes from 2008 Zipper flap closure on top Two handles on sides Adjustable shoulder strap 45cm size Condition: Excellent, no visible wearCategory
Early 2000s Duffel Bags and Carry-On Bags
- Hermes Helena Sac in Tobacco Leather and Toile CanvasBy HermèsLocated in Los Angeles, CAMessenger bag by Hermes Large zipper compartment with smaller front zipper compartment Adjustable shoulder strap Dimensions: 14" x 13" x 7" Condition: Great with some minor wear to...Category
Late 20th Century Crossbody Bags and Messenger Bags
- Hermès Ivory Clemence Leather Mangeoire Rope Bucket Bag 53h224sBy HermèsLocated in Dix hills, NYDate Code/Serial Number: K in a Square Made In: France Measurements: Length: 12.5" Width: 7" Height: 10.75" Shoulder Handle Drop: 7" OVERALL GOOD CONDITION ( 7/10 or B ) Accesso...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Structured Shoulder Bags
- HERMES NEW Kelly 28 Sellier Toile Swift Red Brown Checker Shoulder Tote BagBy HermèsLocated in Chicago, ILNew Condition From 2022 Collection Toile Swift Leather Palladium Hardware Measures 11.5" W x 8.25" H x 4.5" D Handle Drop 3.75" Shoulder Strap Drop 17" Includes Clochette, Padlock, ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Shoulder Bags$60,420 Sale Price20% OffFree Shipping
- Vintage HERMES Bag in Beige Canvas and Navy Blue LeatherBy HermèsLocated in Paris, FRVintage! Hermes bag in beige canvas and navy blue leather. The interior is in beige monogram canvas. There is a pocket at the front. will be delivered in a Valois Vintage Paris du...Category
1980s French Shoulder Bags
Recently ViewedView More
The Stories behind the Most Famous Luxury Fashion Logos
From Chanel to YSL, the logos of some legacy fashion houses spark instant brand recognition and have come to symbolize a kind of luxury that feels at once aspirational and attainable.
How to Spot a Fake Hermès Birkin Bag
The iconic Birkin bag is much coveted — and often copied. Find out how to tell the real deal from a convincing fake. Of course, you don't have to worry about this on 1stDibs, where every seller is highly vetted.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery