- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
LOUIS VUITTON Black Epi Leather Alma PM
About the Item
The story behind iconic luxury brand Louis Vuitton — best known for its esteemed handbags, crossbody bags, leather goods, ready-to-wear clothing and more — is one of craft and innovation in the worlds of fashion, jewelry and furniture.
The company’s modest origins can be traced back to when its founder, Louis Vuitton (1821–92), wishing to free himself from the conventional lifestyle in his provincial French city of Anchay as well as a difficult stepmother, left in the early 1830s to make a new life in Paris. The young Vuitton was 13 at the time and would need to travel on foot to get to the capital, which was hundreds of miles away. With stops along the way to make money so that he could forge ahead, the journey took a couple of years, but reward was close at hand.
When he arrived in Paris, Vuitton made a living with his hands. He toiled as a box maker and packer for more than a decade and built relationships with royals and members of the upper class while working for the empress of France, Eugenie de Montijo. In 1854, Vuitton launched his namesake company. The craftsman opened a humble workshop on rue Neuve des Capucines and advertised his services with a small poster that read: “Securely packs the most fragile objects. Specializing in packing fashions.”
Long before his brand would become known globally for its exemplary top-handle bags and stylish totes, Vuitton produced stackable and rectangular trunks. The most common trunks of the era were round, which weren’t ideal for toting and storing. In 1858, Vuitton debuted his lightweight, handcrafted canvas trunks, which were sturdy, rugged and equipped with convenient compartments. Travel’s popularity broadened in the late 19th century, and Vuitton’s trunks could easily be packed into train cars and ships — upright trunks meant hanging wardrobe storage that would allow his clients to transport their sophisticated garments without worry. Demand increased and the company grew. When Louis Vuitton died in 1892, control of the luxury house was passed onto his only son, Georges Vuitton.
In 1914, a Louis Vuitton store opened at 70 Champs-Élysées. The largest travel-goods store in the world at the time, it became the company’s flagship.
The Louis Vuitton brand embodies all the attributes of luxury, from the craftsmanship, exclusivity and relevance to heritage. It’s only appropriate that it boasts one of the most recognizable insignias — the imaginative interlocking of letters and fleurettes — in the fashion world. The famous LV monogram was first used in 1896 as part of an initiative by Georges to prevent counterfeiting of his coveted new line of travel trunks. It’s one of the earliest examples of fashion branding.
The LV monogram would soon appear on everything from bags and various fashion accessories to alligator-skin champagne cases, from stylish apparel and earrings to teddy bears and airplane models.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Bishop's Stortford, United Kingdom
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 14 days of delivery.
- LOUIS VUITTON Blanc Corail Monogram Vernis Leather Alma GMBy Louis VuittonLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireLOUIS VUITTON Blanc Corail Monogram Vernis Leather Alma GM Xupes Reference: CB705 Serial Number: SN1143 Age (Circa): 2013 Accompanied By: Louis Vuitton Dust Bag, Clochette, Keys Aut...Category
2010s French Top Handle Bags$1,535Free Shipping
- LOUIS VUITTON Rose Indian Monogram Vernis Leather MontanaBy Louis VuittonLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireLOUIS VUITTON Rose Indian Monogram Vernis Leather Montana Xupes Reference: CB695 Serial Number: AA4173 Age (Circa): 2013 Accompanied By: Louis Vuitton Dust Bag Authenticity Details:...Category
2010s French Top Handle Bags$1,351Free Shipping
- CHANEL Beige Caviar Leather Medallion ToteBy ChanelLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireCHANEL Beige Caviar Leather Medallion Tote Serial Number: 11546870 Age (Circa): 2008 Accompanied By: Chanel Dust Bag Authenticity Details: Serial Sticker (Made in Italy) Gender: La...Category
Early 2000s Italian Top Handle Bags$2,211Free Shipping
- Hermès Rose Shocking Chevre Mysore Leather Plume 20cmBy HermèsLocated in Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire"HERMÈS Rose Shocking Chevre Mysore Leather Plume 20cm Serial Number: [K] Age (Circa): 2007 Accompanied By: Hermes Dust Bag Authenticity Details: Date Stamp (Made in France) Gende...Category
Early 2000s French Tote Bags$3,871Free Shipping
- Saint Laurent Blue Denim and Brown Suede Shopping ToteBy Saint LaurentLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireSaint Laurent Blue Denim and Brown Suede Shopping Tote CONDITION NOTES The exterior is in excellent condition with light signs of use. The interior is in excellent condition with li...Category
2010s Italian Tote Bags$1,904Free Shipping
- GUCCI Brown Python Leather Vintage Bamboo Classic Top HandleBy GucciLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireGUCCI Brown Python Leather Vintage Bamboo Classic Top Handle Serial Number: 195436 02026 Age (Circa): 1990 Accompanied By: Gucci Care Booklet Authenticity Details: Date Stamp (Made ...Category
1990s Italian Top Handle Bags$2,826Free Shipping
- Chanel Vintage Spring 1996 Black CC Logo Velour Mini LBD 96P DressBy ChanelLocated in Jersey City, NJBoasting an iconic look from the Chanel Spring 1996 collection, this velour LBD is a must-have for vintage collectors. This little black dress showcases classic CC monograms all over...Category
1990s French Mini Dresses
- Chanel Red Vintage 90's CC Vanity Case Crossbody BagBy ChanelLocated in Miami, FLChanel Red Vintage 90's CC Vanity Case Crossbody Bag circa 1998 red leather gold-tone hardware padlock detail front zip fastening single flat top handle detachable shoulder strap in...Category
1990s Italian Top Handle Bags
- Rare Vintage Judith Leiber Pink Crystal Pig MinaudiereBy Judith LeiberLocated in Philadelphia, PARare Vintage Judith Leiber Pink Crystal Pig Minaudiere in very good condition. Pink swarovski crystal body with black crystal feet, eyes and ears. Gold snout/smiling mouth with large...Category
1980s Evening Bags and Minaudières
- LOUIS VUITTON Brown Monogram Coated Canvas & Vachetta Leather Vintage Alma PMBy Louis VuittonLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireLOUIS VUITTON Brown Monogram Coated Canvas & Vachetta Leather Vintage Alma PM Xupes Reference: CB821 Serial Number: BA0070 Age (Circa): 2000 Accompanied By: Louis Vuitton Dust Bag, ...Category
Early 2000s French Structured Shoulder Bags
- 1990s Vintage GUCCI Tan Leather Bamboo Tote Diana Tote (Medium)By GucciLocated in Bangkok, THThis vintage GUCCI Diana bamboo tote is crafted of pigskin’s leather in tan and brushed gold toned hardware. The Bamboo tote is one of Princess Diana's favorite purses. Gucci revampe...Category
1990s Italian Tote Bags
- Louis Vuitton Neverfull MM Kaki Beige Monogram Empreinte Bag SOLDOUT AT LVBy Louis VuittonLocated in Delray Beach, FLEXTREMELY LIMITED EDITION Soldout quite quickly at LV A must for collectors Empriente leather Kaki Beige The Neverfull MM Detailed Features 12.2 x 11 x 5.5 inches (length x Height x...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Spanish Tote Bags
- Louis Vuitton Purple Vernis Patent Leather Monogram Tote HandbagBy Louis VuittonLocated in Sheung Wan, HK- Vintage Louis Vuitton purple vernis patent leather monogram tote handbag in excellent condition. - “LV” gold hardware zipper closure. - One interior zip pocket (attached with u...Category
1990s Spanish Top Handle Bags$1,556 Sale Price20% Off
- Louis Vuitton Ivory Epi Leather Alma PM BagBy Louis VuittonLocated in Lugano, TicinoLouis Vuitton Ivory Epi Leather Alma PM Bag, 2012 - 100% authentic Louis Vuitton - White Epi leather - Double rolled leather handles - Double zip closure - Padlock, clochette with tw...Category
2010s French Top Handle Bags
- Louis Vuitton Limited Edition Ramages Grenada Speedy 30 bagBy Louis VuittonLocated in Lugano, TicinoLouis Vuitton Limited Edition Ramages Grenada Speedy 30 bag. Inspired by the underwater world of coral, the Monogram Ramages collection for summer 2015 features bold screen-printed p...Category
2010s French Tote Bags$2,058 Sale Price20% Off
- Louis Vuitton Irene Handbag Monogram Embossed Suede And PatentBy Louis VuittonLocated in Torre Del Greco, ITThis authentic Louis Vuitton Irene Handbag Monogram Embossed Suede and Patent presented in the brand's Spring/Summer 2009 Collection showcases a classic design with a modern, eye-cat...Category
Early 2000s French Top Handle Bags
- 2009 Louis Vuitton Surya Monogram Hobo Bag Leather Limited EditionBy Louis VuittonLocated in Torre Del Greco, ITShoulder bag signed Louis Vuitton, Surya model in limited edition, made of monogram canvas with alligator inserts and golden hardware. The product is equipped with an interlocking cl...Category
Early 2000s French Top Handle Bags
Recently ViewedView More
Inside Louis Vuitton’s Most Popular Handbag Collaborations
The venerable brand has earned accolades (and gained new fans) for partnerships that meld fashion with art.
How to Spot a Fake Louis Vuitton
What are the telltale signs that you're holding a real Louis Vuitton and not a knockoff? We spoke with expert Diane D’Amato to find out. Of course, you don't have to worry about fakes on 1stDibs, where every seller is highly vetted.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery