- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Louis Vuitton Monogram Vinyl Ambre Sac Cabas GM Tote
About the Item
The story behind iconic luxury brand Louis Vuitton — best known for its esteemed handbags, crossbody bags, leather goods, ready-to-wear clothing and more — is one of craft and innovation in the worlds of fashion, jewelry and furniture.
The company’s modest origins can be traced back to when its founder, Louis Vuitton (1821–92), wishing to free himself from the conventional lifestyle in his provincial French city of Anchay as well as a difficult stepmother, left in the early 1830s to make a new life in Paris. The young Vuitton was 13 at the time and would need to travel on foot to get to the capital, which was hundreds of miles away. With stops along the way to make money so that he could forge ahead, the journey took a couple of years, but reward was close at hand.
When he arrived in Paris, Vuitton made a living with his hands. He toiled as a box maker and packer for more than a decade and built relationships with royals and members of the upper class while working for the empress of France, Eugenie de Montijo. In 1854, Vuitton launched his namesake company. The craftsman opened a humble workshop on rue Neuve des Capucines and advertised his services with a small poster that read: “Securely packs the most fragile objects. Specializing in packing fashions.”
Long before his brand would become known globally for its exemplary top-handle bags and stylish totes, Vuitton produced stackable and rectangular trunks. The most common trunks of the era were round, which weren’t ideal for toting and storing. In 1858, Vuitton debuted his lightweight, handcrafted canvas trunks, which were sturdy, rugged and equipped with convenient compartments. Travel’s popularity broadened in the late 19th century, and Vuitton’s trunks could easily be packed into train cars and ships — upright trunks meant hanging wardrobe storage that would allow his clients to transport their sophisticated garments without worry. Demand increased and the company grew. When Louis Vuitton died in 1892, control of the luxury house was passed onto his only son, Georges Vuitton.
In 1914, a Louis Vuitton store opened at 70 Champs-Élysées. The largest travel-goods store in the world at the time, it became the company’s flagship.
The Louis Vuitton brand embodies all the attributes of luxury, from the craftsmanship, exclusivity and relevance to heritage. It’s only appropriate that it boasts one of the most recognizable insignias — the imaginative interlocking of letters and fleurettes — in the fashion world. The famous LV monogram was first used in 1896 as part of an initiative by Georges to prevent counterfeiting of his coveted new line of travel trunks. It’s one of the earliest examples of fashion branding.
The LV monogram would soon appear on everything from bags and various fashion accessories to alligator-skin champagne cases, from stylish apparel and earrings to teddy bears and airplane models.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Scottsdale, AZ
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 14 days of delivery.
- Louis Vuitton 2012 Damier Ebene Neverfull MM ToteBy Louis VuittonLocated in Scottsdale, AZThis chic handbag is crafted of classic Louis Vuitton Damier coated canvas in brown. The bag features chocolate brown cowhide leather shoulder straps, side cinch cords, and trim, wit...Category
2010s American Tote Bags
- Louis Vuitton Damier Ebene Iéna PM ToteBy Louis VuittonLocated in Scottsdale, AZThis stylish tote is crafted of Louis Vuitton Damier coated canvas in brown. The bag features a front zipper pocket, and chocolate brown leather trim and strap handles, with polished...Category
2010s American Tote Bags
- Louis Vuitton Monogram Giant Reverse Canvas Onthego GM ToteBy Louis VuittonLocated in Scottsdale, AZFashioned from Monogram Giant canvas, the On The Go tote bag is as striking as it is practical. A Monogram Reverse pattern on the sides and handles creates a stylish contrast in colo...Category
2010s American Tote Bags
- Louis Vuitton Monogram Canvas All-In ToteBy Louis VuittonLocated in Scottsdale, AZBrown and light brown Monogram coated canvas Louis Vuitton All-In GM tote with brass hardware, dual flat shoulder straps, tan vachetta leather trim, brown canvas lining, single zip p...Category
2010s Spanish Tote Bags
- Louis Vuitton Vintage Monogram Canvas Sac Plat ToteBy Louis VuittonLocated in Scottsdale, AZThis stylish tote is finely crafted of classic Louis Vuitton on monogram toile canvas, with signature vachetta cowhide leather top handles, and brass hardware. The top is open to a b...Category
Early 2000s French Tote Bags
- Louis Vuitton Limited Edition Beige Tahitienne Cabas BagBy Louis VuittonLocated in Scottsdale, AZA chic and artsy blend makes this Louis Vuitton Limited Edition Beige Tahitienne Cabas PM Bag truly desirable. This fabulous tote can be carried on the shoulder or on the arm and has...Category
Early 2000s French Tote Bags
- New Yves Saint Laurent YSL Black Heels Pumps Sz 38.5 Featured in Rare Banned AdBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Leesburg, VAStefano Pilati for Yves Saint Laurent Debut Collection Rare & Collectible This is the Style Worn in the Stefano Pilati YSL Banned Ad Brand New * Stunning in Black Leather * Euro Size...Category
Early 2000s Italian Shoes
- ALEXANDER McQUEEN S/S 2003 "Irere" Olive Green Silk Chiffon Lace Back BlouseBy Alexander McQueenLocated in Thiensville, WIAlexander McQueen Spring/Summer 2003 olive green silk crinkle chiffon blouse. From Alexander McQueen's "Irere" collection. Gathered chiffon detail at side front, armholes, and center...Category
Early 2000s Italian Blouses and Tops$614 Sale Price40% Off
- New Versace Lace-up Gladiator Leather Platform Boots Sandals It. 38.5 - US 8.5By VersaceLocated in Montgomery, TXVersace’s Architectural Multicolored Leather Lace-up Platform Sandals are a Sensational Evening Choice. Italian Size 38.8 - US 8.5 100% Patent Leather Waxed-Cotton Cord Lace-up Front...Category
2010s Italian Heels$876 Sale Price60% Off
- new DSQUARED2 2005 Runway orange crab button denim micro mini skirt IT40 SBy Dsquared2Located in Hong Kong, NTnew DSQUARED2 2005 Runway orange crab button denim micro mini skirt IT40 S Brand: Dsquared2 Collection: 2005 Runway Material: Denim Color: Blue Closure: Zip Extra Detail: Indigo deni...Category
Early 2000s Italian Hot Pants
- Chanel Blue Ombre Leather ClutchBy ChanelLocated in London, GBThis rare and stunning maroquinierie derives from Chanel's marine-inspired Cruise 2014 collection. Crafted with a precious skin exterior, the hard-cased body features a unique and su...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French ClutchesOn Hold$12,500
- Louis Vuitton Keepall Sailing Boating Duffel Rare Limited Edition BagBy Louis VuittonLocated in Miami, FLLouis Vuitton Keepall Sailing Boating Duffel Rare Limited Edition Travel Bag Taupe leather LV Cup 95's travel bag from Louis Vuitton Pre-Owned featuring round top handles, a detach...Category
1990s French Duffel Bags and Carry-On Bags
- Louis Vuitton Sunrise Pastel Onthego GM BagBy Louis VuittonLocated in Saint-ouen, FRThe Sunrise Pastel theme gives Louis Vuitton’s On the go bag a bright fresh look . The House’s iconic Monogram canvas comes in a burst of soft, feminine colors for an eye-catching, u...Category
2010s Italian Luggage and Travel Bags
- Customized "Pink panther, takes up arms" Neverfull MM Tote bag in brown canvasBy Louis VuittonLocated in Paris, IDFStunning Louis Vuitton Neverfull MM Tote bag in new Monogram canvas customized by fashionable street art artist PatBo with his work "The pink panther, takes up arms" Two top handles ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Tote Bags
- Louis Vuitton Neverfull MM Kaki Beige Monogram Empreinte Bag SOLDOUT AT LVBy Louis VuittonLocated in Delray Beach, FLEXTREMELY LIMITED EDITION Soldout quite quickly at LV A must for collectors Empriente leather Kaki Beige The Neverfull MM Detailed Features 12.2 x 11 x 5.5 inches (length x Height x...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Spanish Tote Bags
- LOUIS VUITTON Limited Edition Blanc Monogram Sabbia Besace BagBy Louis VuittonLocated in New York, NYThis is an authentic, pre-owned LOUIS VUITTON The vintage-inspired Cruise 2011 Monogram Sabbia bags are made from cotton based jacquard fabric that underwent a subtle coloration pro...Category
2010s Unknown Shoulder Bags
- Louis Vuitton Bleu Nuit Monogram Vernis Wilshire PM Tote BagBy Louis VuittonLocated in Arnhem, NLA Louis Vuitton Wilshire PM tote bag crafted from Bleu Nuit (dark green/blue color) Monogram Vernis leather. The interior is lined with a fabric and next to the major compartment it ...Category
Early 2000s Tote Bags
Recently ViewedView More
Inside Louis Vuitton’s Most Popular Handbag Collaborations
The venerable brand has earned accolades (and gained new fans) for partnerships that meld fashion with art.
How to Spot a Fake Louis Vuitton
What are the telltale signs that you're holding a real Louis Vuitton and not a knockoff? We spoke with expert Diane D’Amato to find out. Of course, you don't have to worry about fakes on 1stDibs, where every seller is highly vetted.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery