Christian Dior Oblique Saddle Belt Bag Blue
About the Item
- Dimensions:Height: 4 in (10.16 cm)Width: 6.5 in (16.51 cm)Depth: 1 in (2.54 cm)
- Place of Origin:
- Seller Location:Scottsdale, AZ
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU1862219361672
When Christian Dior launched his couture house, in 1946, he wanted nothing less than to make “an elegant woman more beautiful and a beautiful woman more elegant.” He succeeded, and in doing so the visionary designer altered the landscape of 20th century fashion.
Dior was born in Granville, on the Normandy coast, in 1905. His prosperous haute bourgeois parents wanted him to become a diplomat despite his interest in art and architecture. However, they agreed to bankroll an art gallery, which Dior opened in 1928 in Paris with a friend.
This was the start of Dior’s rise in the city’s creative milieu, where he befriended Pablo Picasso and Jean Cocteau. After seven years as an art dealer, Dior retrained as a fashion illustrator, eventually landing a job as a fashion designer for Robert Piguet, and in 1941, following a year of military service, he joined the house of Lucien Lelong. Just five years later, with the backing of industrialist Marcel Boussac, the ascendant Dior established his own fashion house, at 30 avenue Montaigne in Paris.
Just two years after the end of World War II, the fashion crowd and the moribund haute couture industry were yearning, comme tout Paris, for security and prosperity, desperate to discard the drab, sexless, utilitarian garb imposed by wartime deprivation. They needed to dream anew.
And Dior delivered: He designed a collection for a bright, optimistic future. “It’s quite a revolution, dear Christian!” exclaimed Carmel Snow, the prescient American editor-in-chief of Harper’s Bazaar, famously proclaiming, “Your dresses have such a new look.” The press ran with the description, christening Dior’s debut Spring/Summer haute couture collection the New Look. “God help those who bought before they saw Dior,” said Snow. “This changes everything.”
Dior’s collection definitively declared that opulence, luxury and femininity were in. His skirts could have 40-meter-circumference hems, and outfits could weigh up to 60 pounds. They were cut and shaped like architecture, on strong foundations that molded women and “freed them from nature,” Dior said. Rather than rationing, his ladies wanted reams of fabric and 19-inch waists enforced by wire corsets, and the fashion world concurred. The debut got a standing ovation.
In the subsequent decade, Paris ruled as the undisputed fashion capital of the world, and Christian Dior reigned as its king. With the luxuriously full skirts of his New Look, suits and his drop-dead gorgeous evening dresses and ball gowns worthy of any princess, Dior gave women the gift of glamour they’d lost in the miserable years of war.
On 1stDibs, find an exquisite range of vintage Christian Dior clothing, jewelry, handbags and other items.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Scottsdale, AZ
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 14 days of delivery.
- Chanel Diamond Belt Coin PurseBy ChanelLocated in Scottsdale, AZThis stylish diamond belt coin purse is finely crafted of smooth Calfskin leather. The bag features a pink belt and gold hardware including a zipper that opens to a fine textile...Category
2010s Italian Belt Bags
- Louis Vuitton Vintage Monogram Canvas Pochette AccessoriesBy Louis VuittonLocated in Scottsdale, AZThis pouch is crafted of signature Louis Vuitton monogram toile canvas. The bag features a top zipper which opens to a cocoa brown fabric interi...Category
Early 2000s American Pouches and Wristlets
- Chanel Coin Purse Interlocking CC Logo WalletBy ChanelLocated in Scottsdale, AZThis petite wallet is crafted of sky blue caviar leather and features a wrap-around polished gold zipper with a matching CC logo on the front. The zipper opens to a partitioned fabri...Category
2010s Spanish Wallets
- Louis Vuitton Damier Ebene Neverfull MM GM Pochette WristletBy Louis VuittonLocated in Scottsdale, AZLouis Vuitton Damier Ebene Neverfull MM GM Pochette. This pochette is featured in signature Louis Vuitton checkered damier canvas. It includes a ...Category
2010s American Pouches and Wristlets
- Gucci GG Supreme Medium Eden Waist BagBy GucciLocated in Scottsdale, AZThis chic belt bag is finely crafted of coated Gucci GG monogram coated canvas. The bag features a large frontal zipper pocket and a small exterior zipper pocket with an adjustable c...Category
2010s Italian Belt Bags
- Celine Smooth Calfskin Tie Handbag ChocolateBy CelineLocated in Scottsdale, AZThis chic tote offers a different take on the iconic luggage handbag style in the smaller model. Crafted of luxuriously smooth calfskin leather in chocolate brown, this bag features ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Tote Bags
- Womens Designer CHLOE Darryl Coin PurseBy ChloéLocated in London, GBLovely Darryl wallet, purse from Chloe. Purchased and never used. Colour Black Material Leather Hardware Gold Condition As New Height / Width/ Depth 8cm / 13.5 cm Size Small Dustb...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Wallets and Small AccessoriesUnavailable$252Free Shipping
- Designer GOYARD SENAT 2 MINI BlueBy GoyardLocated in London, GBGoyard Classic Mini Senat Pouch in blue coated canvas for sale. Detailed with Goyard's iconic Goyardine monogram and silver hardware. An unworn piece. Colour Blue Material Leather co...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Wallets and Small AccessoriesUnavailable$696Free Shipping
- Mariano Fortuny Rare Black Stencilled Velvet Drawstring BagBy FortunyLocated in Riverdale, NYFortunys stenciled velvet drawstring bags found a use for small pieces of his precious velvets, their sizes vary due to the dimensions of the cuts.They are exceedingly rare.
Early 20th Century Italian Art Deco Pouches and WristletsPrice Upon Request
- Vintage KARL LAGERFELD Logo Black Leather Key Holder WalletBy Karl LagerfeldLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage KARL LAGERFELD Logo Black Leather Key Holder Wallet Measurements: Height: 2.75 inches (7 cm) Width: 4.13 inches (10.5 cm) Features: - 100% Authe...Category
20th Century French Wallets
- Vintage KARL LAGERFELD Gold Logo Black Patent Leather Key Holder WalletBy Karl LagerfeldLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage KARL LAGERFELD Gold Logo Black Patent Leather Key Holder Wallet Measurements: Height: 2.75 inches (7 cm) Width: 4.13 inches (10.5 cm) Features: - 100% Authentic KARL LAGER...Category
20th Century French Wallets
- 2017 Hermès Celeste, Capucine & Ambre Epsom Leather Camail Key Holder CharmBy HermèsLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireHERMÈS Celeste, Capucine & Ambre Epsom Leather Camail Key Holder Charm Serial Number: A Age (Circa): 2017 Accompanied By: Hermès Box Authenticity Details: Date Stamp (Made in Fran...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Wallets and Small Accessories$1,051Free Shipping
Recently ViewedView More
Too Soon for the Return of ’90s Fashion? As If
There's a renewed appreciation for the era's aesthetic, perhaps most notably among millennials seeking authentic, easy style.
14 Iconic Luxury Handbags and the Stories behind Them
When the name of a bag is as well-known as its brand, you know it's a classic.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery