1980s Set of Two Iconic Lino Sabattini Minimalist Silver Plated Candelabras
About the Item
- Dimensions:Height: 12.21 in (31 cm)Width: 5.12 in (13 cm)Depth: 3.94 in (10 cm)
- Sold As:Set of 2
- Style:Minimalist (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:c. 1980
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:Aci Castello, IT
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU2394336185912
Lino Sabattini was the preeminent figure in modern Italian silver and metalware design. His expansive and diverse body of work is marked by its strength and boldness, whether in dynamic forms that suggest the thrust and power of Italian Futurist art and design or light and curvaceous biomorphic serveware and decorative objects.
Sabattini was largely self-taught as a designer. Born in the northern Italian town of Correggio, he learned metalsmithing techniques while working in the studio of a maker of brass tableware. He also served as an apprentice of sorts to the expatriate German ceramist Roland Hettner, who taught Sabattini about fluidity of form and showed him how shapes derive from the behavior of materials.
At age 30, Sabattini opened a studio in Milan, and his work quickly came to the attention of Gio Ponti, who decided to publish it in Domus, the Italian design legend's influential design and architecture magazine. Ponti also arranged for Sabattini’s creations to be included in a 1956 exhibition of contemporary Italian design in Paris. The principals of Christofle, the revered French silverware maker, were so impressed that they hired the young designer as the firm’s artistic director, a post he held until 1963. Sabattini, who would also go on to design ceramic wares for Rosenthal, returned home to open Argenteria Sabattini in Bregnano, a company still in business today.
A designer with a questing curiosity and ever-evolving aesthetic sensibility, Sabattini couldn’t be pinned down to one particular style. His best-known work, the Como coffee and tea service of 1956, has an elegant, attenuated and energetic form; his Stairs coffee and tea service (1971), meanwhile, is a clever group of simple columnar shapes in stepped heights, which nest together in a compact arrangement. Other Sabattini pieces have dramatic angles, or sweeping, wing-like flourishes, or consist of perforated ovoids somehow reminiscent of sculptures by Brancusi. In any style, Sabattini produced objects of singular fascination.
Find a range of vintage Lino Sabattini vases and other decorative objects on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Catania, Italy
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 14 days of delivery.
- 1970s Iconic Modernist Silver Plated Italian Basket Design by Lino SabattiniBy Lino SabattiniLocated in Aci Castello, ITA stylish silver plated spiral bowl made in Italy in the Seventies by Sabattini argenteria. this piece it's in original patina, it can be easily cleaned. It's an iconic modernist pie...Category
Mid-20th Century Italian Mid-Century Modern Decorative BasketsMaterials
- Set of Three 1980s Modern Triangular Italian Vases in the manner of SabattiniBy Lino SabattiniLocated in Aci Castello, ITThree triangular steel vases designed and manufactured in Italy in the Eighties, they are in good conditions, height of the medium vase is 20 cm, the height of the small one is 15 cm...Category
Late 20th Century Italian Minimalist VasesMaterials
- 1994 Modernist Complete Series of Three Nefertiti Bronze Vases by Lino SabattiniBy Lino SabattiniLocated in Aci Castello, ITAn extremely rare complete series of Nefertiti gilded and green painted bronze vases by Lino Sabattini, numbered edition of only 50 specimens, they are stylized bronze vases that fai...Category
Late 20th Century Italian Modern BustsMaterials
- 1980s Modern Silver Plated and Dark Gray Glass Rectangular Italian TrayBy Lino SabattiniLocated in Aci Castello, ITThis 1980s Modern Rectangular Italian Tray is a stunning example of 1980s design aesthetics. Its use of premium materials, minimalist design, ...Category
Mid-20th Century Italian Modern BarwareMaterials
- 1980s Set of Two Modernist Lucite Italian Magazine StandsBy Tommaso BarbiLocated in Aci Castello, ITTwo stylish magazine stands designed and manufactured in Italy in the style of Tommaso Barbi, the lucite is printed with a decoration of leaves in the colors of autumn. They are in g...Category
Late 20th Century Italian Mid-Century Modern Magazine Racks and StandsMaterials
- 1980s, Amazing Set of Four Porcelain Italian Mural Plates by GucciBy GucciLocated in Aci Castello, ITFour porcelain plates designed and manufactured in Italy in the Eighies, designed and marked on the bottom by Gucci fashion house. These high quality plates depicting four different ...Category
Late 20th Century Italian International Style PorcelainMaterials
- Silver Plated Metal 1970s Candleholder by Lino SabattiniBy Lino Sabattini, Sabattini ArgenteriaLocated in Varese, LombardiaVery good condition. Very high quality. Manifacture's mark on the handle.Category
Vintage 1970s Italian Space Age Sheffield and SilverplateMaterials
- "Harmony" by Lino Sabattini 1980s Design Postmodern Silver Plated CandleholderBy Lino SabattiniLocated in Brescia, IT"Harmony" by Lino Sabattini 1989, Italy Rare candleholder silver metal and black plastic.Category
Vintage 1980s Italian Post-Modern More Candle HoldersMaterials
- Lino Sabattini, Italy Silver Plate Geometric Box, 1980sBy Sabattini Argenteria, Lino SabattiniLocated in Atlanta, GALino Sabattini for Sabattini Argenteria designed this elegant silver plate decorative box circa 1980. This tall-lidded box has a minimalist geometric design and can be displayed as a...Category
Late 20th Century Italian Modern Decorative BoxesMaterials
Metal, Silver Plate
- Three Iconic Modern Silver Plated Vessels 1960s Italian Design by Lino SabattiniBy Lino SabattiniLocated in London, GBA very iconic trio of vessels candle holders by Lino Sabattini silver plate 1960s Italian design at its top. Lino Sabattini born in 1925 is a dreamer craftsman designer that has a ve...Category
Vintage 1960s Italian Mid-Century Modern More Candle HoldersMaterials
- 1960's Lino Sabattini Silver Plated Stele Candle HoldersBy Lino SabattiniLocated in Palm Springs, CAA beautiful set of graduated candle holders or vases designed by Lino Sabattini in 1963. They are the "Stele" candle holders. Made of silver p...Category
Vintage 1960s Italian CandlesticksMaterials
- Minimalist Pair of Silver Plated Metal Candleholders in the Style of SabattiniBy Lino SabattiniLocated in Bresso, LombardyMade in Italy, 1990s. They are made in silver plated metal. These candleholder are vintage, therefore they might show slight traces of use, but they can be considered as in very ...Category
1990s Italian Minimalist CandlesticksMaterials
Metal, Silver Plate