Max Ingrand Candlestick for Fontana Arte, Italy 1950s
View Similar Items
- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Max Ingrand Candlestick for Fontana Arte, Italy 1950s
- DimensionsHeight: 7.29 in (18.5 cm)Width: 2.21 in (5.6 cm)Depth: 1.78 in (4.5 cm)
- StyleMid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1950s
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use.
- Seller LocationMilan, IT
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU952719223322
About the Manufacturer
Best known for its elegant and innovative vintage lighting fixtures, the Milan-based firm Fontana Arte pioneered one of the key features of 20th-century and contemporary Italian design: the union of artistry and industry wrought by partnerships between creative talents — chiefly architects — and entrepreneurial businesses. Fontana Arte is further distinguished by having had as artistic director, in succession, four of Italy’s most inventive modernist designers: Gio Ponti, Pietro Chiesa, French transplant Max Ingrand and Gae Aulenti.
The bread and butter of the glassmaking company that Luigi Fontana founded in 1881 was plate-glass panels for the construction industry. In 1930, Fontana met Ponti — then the artistic director of the Richard Ginori ceramics workshop and the editor of the influential magazine Domus — at a biannual design exhibition that became the precursor to today’s Milan Design Triennale, and the two hatched an idea for a furniture and housewares firm. Fontana Arte was incorporated in 1932 with Ponti as its chief of design. He contributed several lamps that remain among the company’s signature works, including the orb-atop-cone Bilia table lamp and the 0024 pendant — a stratified hanging sphere.
The following year, Fontana Arte partnered with the influential Milan studio glassmaker and retailer Pietro Chiesa, who took over as artistic director. Chiesa’s designs for lighting — as well as for tables and items including vases and ashtrays — express an appreciation for fluidity and simplicity of line, as seen in works such as his flute-shaped Luminator floor lamp and the 1932 Fontana table — an arched sheet of glass that is held in the permanent collection of the Museum of Modern Art.
Six years after Chiesa’s 1948 death, the École des Beaux Arts–trained Max Ingrand took over as head of design at Fontana Arte. Ingrand brought a similarly expressive formal sensibility to wares such as lamps and mirrors, but he also had a masterful eye for the manipulation of glass surfaces — whether they be cut, frosted, acid-etched or sand-blasted. His classic design is the Fontana table lamp of 1954, which has a truncated cone shade and curved body, both of which are made of pure, chic white-frosted glass.
Following Ingrand, the often-audacious Italian architect Gae Aulenti served as the company’s artistic director from 1979 to 1996, and while she generally insisted that furnishings take second place aesthetically to architecture, she made an exception for Fontana Arte pieces such as the Tavolo con Ruote series of glass coffee and dining tables on wheels, bold lighting pieces such as the Parola series and the Giova, a combination flower vase and table lamp. As a key incubator of modern design under Aulenti’s tenure, Fontana Arte remained true to its long-held commitment — creating objects that have never been less than daring.
- Max Ingrand Blue Glass and Brass Door Handle for Fontana Arte, Italy, 1950sBy Max Ingrand, Fontana ArteLocated in Milan, ITMax Ingrand door handle for Fontana Arte, Italy, 1950s. Can be used as one handle or as 2 separated handles.Category
Vintage 1950s Italian Mid-Century Modern Doors and GatesMaterials
- Max Ingrand Table Lamp Mod. 2488 for Fontana Arte, Italy, 1970sBy Max Ingrand, Fontana ArteLocated in Milan, ITMonumental and rare Max Ingrand table lamp mod. 2488 for Fontana Arte, Italy, 1970s Reference: Fontana Arte Catalogue, 1970.Category
Vintage 1970s Italian Modern Table LampsMaterials
- Rare Max Ingrand Mod. 0556/B ceiling lamp for Fontana Arte, Italy 1960'sBy Max Ingrand, Fontana ArteLocated in Milan, ITRare Max Ingrand Mod. 0556/B ceiling lamp for Fontana ArteCategory
Vintage 1960s Italian Mid-Century Modern Chandeliers and PendantsMaterials
- Fontana Arte Glass Notepad, Italy 1950sBy Fontana ArteLocated in Milan, ITA beautiful Fontana Arte two-colored glass notepad. Original label.Category
Vintage 1950s Italian Mid-Century Modern Desk AccessoriesMaterials
- Freeform Fontana Arte 1950s Glass AshtrayBy Fontana ArteLocated in Milan, ITFreeform Fontana Arte 1950s glass ashtray.Category
Vintage 1950s Italian Mid-Century Modern GlassMaterials
- Cristal Arte Candleholder, Italy 1960sBy Cristal ArteLocated in Milan, ITCristal Arte candleholder, Italy 1960s.Category
Vintage 1960s Italian Mid-Century Modern CandlesticksMaterials
- 20th Century Max Ingrand Pair of Candleholders for Fontana ArteBy Fontana Arte, Max IngrandLocated in Turin, TurinPair of candleholders designed by Max Ingrand for Fontana Arte. The couple of candleholders are in metal with a handmade decoration in glass. Each Candleholder has the original Font...Category
Vintage 1950s Italian Mid-Century Modern More Candle HoldersMaterials
- Max Ingrand Fontana Arte Blue Fruit Bowl 1950sBy Max Ingrand, Fontana ArteLocated in Munich, DEMax Ingrand vide poche or fruit bowl in tinted glass and with an elegant brass handle, produced by Fontana Arte in the 1950s.Category
Vintage 1950s Italian Mid-Century Modern Decorative BowlsMaterials
- Pair of 1950s Italian Brass and Glass Candlesticks Fontana Arte StyleBy Fontana ArteLocated in Nümbrecht, NRWBeautiful pair of Italian Mid-Century Modern brass pedestal candleholders with glass bases in the manner of Fontana Arte.Category
Vintage 1950s Italian Mid-Century Modern Candle HoldersMaterials
Brass$530 / setFree Shipping
- Crystal Centerpiece by Max Ingrand for Fontana ArteBy Max Ingrand, Fontana ArteLocated in Milan, ITCenterpiece by Max Ingrand for Fontana Arte. Remarkable organic crystal shape with brass and metal details.Category
Vintage 1960s Italian VasesMaterials
- Vintage Chandelier Attributed to Fontana Arte, Italy, 1950sBy Fontana ArteLocated in Roma, ITVintage Chandelier is a fashionable lamp designed attributed to Fontana Arte, realized in the 1950s in Italy. Made in brass, cut crystal and satin glass. This object is shipped...Category
Vintage 1950s Italian Candle LampsMaterials
Crystal, Brass$883 Sale Price25% Off
- Awesome Pair of Candlestick by Max IngrandBy Max IngrandLocated in Bois-Colombes, FRPaire of huge 1960s candlestick designed by Max Ingrand (possibility of a second pair).Category
Vintage 1960s French Candle HoldersMaterials
Brass$4,230 / set