Hammered Sterling Silver Champagne Goblets by Buccellati, circa 1990s
About the Item
- Creator:Buccellati (Maker)
- Dimensions:Height: 5 in (12.7 cm)Diameter: 3 in (7.62 cm)
- Sold As:Set of 8
- Style:Other (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:Sterling Silver,Hammered
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1990s
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. The condition of the set is excellent, and look hardly used.
- Seller Location:London, GB
- Reference Number:Seller: 61321stDibs: LU868014309781
In 1919, Mario Buccellati (1891–1965) launched his eponymous jewelry house with the opening of his first shop in Milan and quickly built a reputation for his richly embellished traforato, or finely pierced goldwork. The Ancona, Italy–born jeweler’s workmanship was in a class of its own. His pieces were exquisite, yet the gemstones themselves were never too flashy, elevated instead by the designs’ intricate metalsmithing.
A love of tradition set Mario and his fine jewelry house apart in the competitive Italian market and remains a point of pride for the family, which is still closely tied to the business even as it is now owned by Richemont, a luxury conglomerate that also counts Cartier and Van Cleef & Arpels among its subsidiaries.
A young Mario Buccellati apprenticed with famed goldsmith Beltrami e Besnati in the early 1900s, although many of the goldsmithing techniques synonymous with Buccellati go as far back as the Italian Renaissance. The family lineage is also said to include 18th-century jeweler Contardo Buccellati. Owing to the founder’s advanced metalworking skills, the brand is known for designs that feature metal with the delicacy of lace and draw on the wonders of the natural world. The house’s work is typified by intricate gemstone settings that emphasize their natural color and dense engraving techniques that transform the texture of gold.
One of the time-honored engraving techniques that has come to characterize Buccellati’s work — techniques that require apprenticeships and training in the fine jeweler’s workshops — is called rigato. It involves the engraving of a precious metal with a series of parallel lines to achieve a fabric-like effect.
Rigato is on luminous display in the house’s Macri collection of earrings, cuff bracelets and other accessories. A painstaking attention to detail is pronounced in the celebrated Macri, Bartolomeo and Unica collections — witness the striking honeycomb motif, a house signature, that characterizes the Unica collection’s Caterina bracelet, for example. The Macri collection was the work of Mario’s son, Gianmaria Buccellati, an award-winning jeweler and internationally renowned silversmith who worked to bring the brand to the global stage by overseeing the opening of boutiques in Tokyo, Paris, California and elsewhere.
In 1951, Mario opened his first store in New York City; today the company operates boutiques worldwide. In 2019, the company celebrated its centennial with a new flagship in Paris and the Vintage collection, which features some of its most enduring designs.
On 1stDibs, find a collection of authentic Buccellati jewelry, including earrings, necklaces, rings and other accessories.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: London, United Kingdom
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- 12 Sterling Silver Julep Cups or GobletsBy International SilverLocated in London, GBInternational Silver Co. USA. A highly unusual set of 12 Sterling silver goblets or julep cups, with gently flared rims, each cup ...Category
Vintage 1930s American Art Deco Sterling SilverMaterials
Sterling Silver$8,825 / set
- Art Deco Sterling Silver Champagne Coolers by Cardeilhac, 1930sBy CardeilhacLocated in London, GBCardeilhac, Paris A showstopping pair of Sterling silver Art Deco Champagne coolers by renowned Parisian silversmiths Cardeilhac. Each geometric cooler has eight sides and a deep...Category
Vintage 1930s French Art Deco BarwareMaterials
Sterling Silver, Enamel$32,303 Sale Price / set20% Off
- Sterling Silver and Jade Cocktail Shaker by Yamanaka, circa 1925By Yamanaka GroupLocated in London, GBAn extremely rare and opulent sterling silver and jade cocktail shaker of tapered cylindrical 3-pint form decorated with fretwork gadrooned bands, with an exquisite carved qilin jade...Category
Vintage 1920s Japanese Art Deco BarwareMaterials
Jade, Sterling Silver
- Sterling Silver 'Shotgun' Cocktail Set by J.E Caldwell & Co, circa 1920By J.E. Caldwell & Co.Located in London, GBJ.E Caldwell & Co, Pennsylvania. An incredibly stylish and most likely bespoke Sterling silver 12 piece cocktail or drinks set, featuring a pitcher and tumblers resembling shotgun...Category
Vintage 1920s American Art Deco Sterling SilverMaterials
- Art Deco Sterling Silver Hipflask by Jack HingBy Jack HingLocated in London, GBA very stylish Art Deco Sterling silver hiplask of conventional form with hinged, bayonet cap, with a fine martelé finish panel to the front, applied with details of bamboo leaves, ...Category
Vintage 1930s Chinese Art Deco BarwareMaterials
- Goldsmiths & Silversmiths 'Hunting' Drinks Set, 1920sBy Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co. Ltd.Located in London, GBAn impeccable and unique sterling silver drinks set with a hunting theme, featuring a large cocktail shaker in the form of a hunting horn as the centre-piece. The shaker, partly lemo...Category
Vintage 1920s British Other BarwareMaterials
Sterling Silver$60,442 Sale Price / set20% Off
- Shreve & Co. Hand Hammered Sterling Silver Goblet / Trophy in Art Deco StyleBy Shreve & Co.Located in New York, NYShreve & Co. large sterling silver goblet / trophy with a tall stem, designed with a hand hammered finish in exquisite Art Deco style. It measures 11.5 inches tall and 5.3 inches wid...Category
Early 20th Century American Art Deco Sterling SilverMaterials
Silver, Sterling Silver
- Georg Jensen Sterling Silver GobletsBy Georg JensenLocated in Copenhagen, DKGeorg Jensen Sterling Silver Goblets #553. Dates to 1925-1932. Measures: 8cm high and 4.2cm dia (3 1/7" and 1 5/8"). Weight is 192 gram / 6 3/4 oz. total.Category
Vintage 1920s Danish Art Deco BarwareMaterials
Sterling Silver$4,150 / set
- Antique Sterling Silver Victorian GobletLocated in Braintree, GBAntique sterling silver Victorian goblet. Made in England, London, 1881 Maker: BH Fully hallmarked. Dimensions - Size: diameter x height: 9.7 x 13 cm Weight: 162 grams ...Category
Antique 1880s British Victorian Sterling SilverMaterials
- Antique Victorian 1856 Sterling Silver GobletBy Charles Thomas Fox & George FoxLocated in Jesmond, Newcastle Upon TyneAn exceptional, fine and impressive antique Victorian English sterling silver goblet made by Charles Thomas Fox & George Fox; an addition to our wine and drinks related silverware collection. This exceptional antique Victorian sterling silver goblet has a plain bell shaped form onto a waisted pedestal, to a circular spreading foot. The surface of the antique silver goblet is plain and unembellished. The circular spreading foot is encircled with an applied border to the rim and ornamented with the contemporary engraved crest of griffin's head erased and collared by a coronet. The interior of this antique English silver goblet...Category
Antique 1850s British Victorian Sterling SilverMaterials
Silver, Sterling Silver
- Antique Victorian Sterling Silver Goblet by Joseph & Albert SavoryBy Joseph & Albert SavoryLocated in Jesmond, Newcastle Upon TyneAn exceptional, fine and impressive antique Victorian English sterling silver goblet; an addition to our collection of wine and drinks related silverware. This exceptional antique Victorian sterling silver goblet has a circular Campania shaped form onto a knopped stem and domed circular foot. The body of this antique silver goblet...Category
Antique 1830s British Victorian BarwareMaterials
Silver, Sterling Silver
- Antique Victorian Sterling Silver Gilt GobletBy Daniel & Charles HouleLocated in Jesmond, Newcastle Upon TyneAn exceptional, fine and impressive antique Victorian sterling silver gilt goblet; an addition to our wine and drinks related silverware collection. This exceptional antique Victorian sterling silver gilt goblet has a circular bell shaped form onto a knopped pedestal and circular spreading foot, in the classic pineapple style. The body of this impressive antique silver goblet is composed of chased and embossed lozenge shaped convex panels, replicating the fruitlets/spikes of a pineapple, each ornamented with a quatrefoil-floral design. The decoration to the body incorporates an impressive quatrefoil shaped cartouche displaying the contemporary engraved monogram initials 'HM'. The upper rim is encompassed with an applied band of bead decoration. The waisted pedestal features a circular knop to the centre encircled with further floral motifs. The circular spreading foot is encompassed with a continuation of segmented lozenge panels, reflecting that of the body. This sterling silver goblet retains the original gilding; the gilding to the exterior of the goblet has worn with age in a sympathetic fashion. Condition This antique 1800s silver gilt goblet is an exceptional gauge of silver, exceptional quality and in exceptional presentation condition. Full hallmarks struck to the surface of this Victorian silver goblet...Category
Antique 1860s British Victorian Sterling SilverMaterials
Recently ViewedView More
See Why Buccellati’s Intricate Jewels Have Been Coveted for More Than a Century
A deluxe new book explores the celebrated fifth-generation Italian jeweler’s heritage and inimitable style.
The Best Ways to Dress for Your Astrological Sign
Makeup and astrology expert Linda Mason dispenses fashion advice for every zodiac sign. Does your wardrobe match your horoscope?
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery