Karl Hagenauer Table Lamp
About the Item
- Dimensions:Height: 26 in (66.04 cm)Diameter: 15.5 in (39.37 cm)
- Style:Art Deco (Of the Period)
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1923
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. New silk shade, socket and wiring.
- Seller Location:New York, NY
- Reference Number:Seller: 63 HA 011stDibs: LU78569724863
Karl Hagenauer was an important and popular figure in the decorative arts in Vienna in the decades bracketing the Second World War. While primarily a maker of sculptural decorative pieces, Hagenauer — in the same spirit as his peer Carl Auböck— created a wide array of household objects, from barware to office accessories, all designed with wit and a sleek modernist aesthetic.
Hagenauer’s father was a trained metalsmith who founded a bronzewares manufactory that produced decorative metalwork and housewares in both traditional and the then-novel Art Nouveau styles and cast small sculptures based on Old Masters paintings. After studying art and design at Vienna’s School of Applied Arts, where his teachers included architect Josef Hoffmann, a founder of the Wiener Werkstätte, he joined his father’s workshop in 1919 and began crafting items that reflected Hoffman’s modernist aesthetic. In the 1920s and ’30s, he developed an often-imitated style that combines the lithe, lissome lines of Art Nouveau (known in central Europe as Jugendstil) with the simple, unadorned forms of Art Deco. He worked primarily in brass — both polished and nickel-plated — as well as wood.
In addition to domestic items such as smoking accoutrements, teapots, trays, bowls, candleholders and tableware, Hagenauer produced a wide array of small-scale sculptures. (His younger brother, Franz— who took over the family business when their father died — was also a noted sculptor, with a style that could be described as Art-Deco-meets-Brancusi.) Karl’s sculptures fall into two main groups: humorous and whimsical animal and character figures that will remind many of the work of artist Tom Otterness and sleek, stylized animal and human forms, many with an African theme — an “exotic” connotation that was a 20th-century remnant of colonialism. As you will see from the items on offer, Karl Hagenauer was an artist-designer of great talent and many moods: affable, stylish and practical.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: New York, NY
- Return PolicyThis item cannot be returned.
- Adjustable 1930s Table LampLocated in New York, NYNewly polished, brass finish and wide articulating shade with white enamel interior. Multiples available.Category
Early 20th Century American Table LampsMaterials
- Alexandre Logé "Tahoma" Table LampsBy Alexandre LogéLocated in New York, NYLimited edition "Tahoma" table lamps by Alexandre Logé. Sculptural cast bronze forms with hand-applied patina. Custom paper shades of elliptical shape....Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Mid-Century Modern Table LampsMaterials
- Elliptical Table Lamp by Roger CapronBy Roger CapronLocated in New York, NYEarthenware lamp with incised, figural decoration and rough ceramic texture. Elliptical fabric shade, signed on back.Category
Vintage 1960s French Table Lamps
- "Ventiglio" Table Lamp by Angelo MangiarottiBy Angelo MangiarottiLocated in New York, NYMarble, painted metal. Produced by Skipper Pollux. 3 different marble types fused together to form a semi-circular light diffuser.Category
20th Century Italian Modern Table LampsMaterials
- Bis Table Lamp by Fontana ArteBy Fontana ArteLocated in New York, NYSatin brass, colored glass and frosted glass, Painted metal. Model #2281 with 2 layer glass shade & 4 x E12, (candelabra) sockets.Category
Vintage 1950s Italian Mid-Century Modern Table LampsMaterials
- Table Lamp by Charles et FilsBy Charles et FilsLocated in New York, NYSweet Corn table lamp by Charles et Fils. Sculptural lamp of silvered bronze in the form of a husk of corn. Raised on a pedestal base, with three candelabra sockets and original meta...Category
Antique 1660s French Mid-Century Modern Table Lamps
- Iconic flamingo table lamp by karl hagenauerBy Werkstätte Hagenauer Wien, Karl HagenauerLocated in Munich, DEiconic table lamp first presented at the triennale / milano in 1951 . very rare and important piece of modernism in all original and wonderful condition. the system of brass tubes to...Category
Vintage 1950s Austrian Mid-Century Modern Table LampsMaterials
Aluminum, Brass, Iron
- Hagenauer Mid-Century Modern Brass Tripod Table Lamp, 1960s, AustriaBy Karl Hagenauer, Werkstätte Hagenauer WienLocated in Biebergemund, HessenBeautiful Hagenauer Werkstätten brass table lamp manufactured in 1960s, Austria. The lamp is made of polished brass with dark grey-lacquered rod. The lamp provides a smooth and wonde...Category
Vintage 1960s Austrian Mid-Century Modern Table LampsMaterials
- Austrian Midcentury Brass and Grey Metal Table Lamp by Hagenauer ViennaBy Werkstätte Hagenauer Wien, Karl Hagenauer, Franz HagenauerLocated in Vienna, ATThis Rare and Iconic Austrian Mid-Century Modern brass table or desk lamp was designed by Karl or Franz Hagenauer ca 1955 and produced by Werkstätte Hagenauer Vienna. It features a s...Category
Vintage 1950s Austrian Mid-Century Modern Table LampsMaterials
Brass, Metal, Iron
- Unique Hand Hammered Brass Lamp Wiener Werkstatte Karl Hagenauer Dagobert PecheBy Karl Hagenauer, Dagobert PecheLocated in Oakland, CAHand-hammered brass lamp Wiener Werkstatte attributed to Karl Hagenauer or Dagobert Peche circa 1920. Rare hand-painted original silk shade in immaculate condition. Most likely a stu...Category
Vintage 1920s Austrian Art Deco Table LampsMaterials
- Karl Hagenauer "Flamingo" Floor LampBy Karl HagenauerLocated in San Francisco, CAA brass floor lamp by Karl Hagenauer. Three joints allow for adjustable shape and direction. Patinated cast metal foot, brass tube, perforated metal shade, and white lacquered interior.Category
Vintage 1950s Austrian Mid-Century Modern Floor LampsMaterials
- Werkstätte Hagenauer Wien Cowboy on Horse Brass LampBy Werkstätte Hagenauer WienLocated in New York, NYWerkstätte Hagenauer Wien cowboy on horse brass lamp. This lamp is in good original condition with original patina. Stamped wHw underneath.Category
Vintage 1930s Austrian Art Deco Table LampsMaterials
Recently ViewedView All
Mid-Century Master Osvaldo Borsani Gets His Due at Donzella
The New York City gallery has devoted its latest show to the work of the modernist Italian designer.
The Ghiró Family Is on the Cutting Edge of Fine Glass Design
Father-and-son team Michele and Domenico Ghiró are setting themselves apart with unexpected techniques and superior craftsmanship.