Paul Evans Cityscape Wall Mirror
About the Item
- Creator:Paul Evans (Designer)
- Dimensions:Height: 24 in (60.96 cm)Width: 24 in (60.96 cm)Depth: 3 in (7.62 cm)
- Style:Mid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1970s
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:San Francisco, CA
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU812524354592
A designer and sculptor, Paul Evans was a wild card of late 20th century modernism. A leading light of the American Studio Furniture movement, Evans’s sideboards, credenzas, coffee tables and other work manifests a singular aesthetic sense, as well as a seemingly contradictory appreciation for both folk art forms and for new materials and technologies.
Evans’s primary material was metal, not wood, which was favored by his fellow studio designers, and Bucks County, Pennsylvania, neighbors George Nakashima and Phillip Lloyd Powell. He trained in metallurgy and studied at the Cranbrook Academy of Art, the famed crucible of modern design and art in suburban Detroit. For a time early in his career, Evans also worked at Sturbridge Village, a historical “living museum” in Massachusetts, where he gave demonstrations as a costumed silversmith.
Evans’s earliest work unites these influences. The pieces that made his reputation are known as “sculpted-front” cabinets: wood cases faced with box-like high-relief patinated steel mounts laid out in a grid pattern. Each mount contains a metal emblem, or glyph, and the effect is that of a brawny quilt.
Evans’s later work falls into three distinct style groups. His sculpted-bronze pieces, begun in the mid-1960s, show Evans at his most expressive. He employed a technique in which resin is hand-shaped, and later sprayed with a metal coating, allowing for artistic nuance in the making of chairs, tables and case pieces. Later in the decade and into the 1970s, Evans produced his Argente series for celebrated manufacturer Directional (a brand known to vintage mid-century modern furniture collectors everywhere): consoles and other furniture forms that feature aluminum and pigment-infused metal surfaces welded into abstract organic forms and patterns.
Last, Evans's Cityscape design series — a milestone in the history of brutalist design — meshed perfectly with the sleek, “high tech” sensibility of the later ’70s. Evans constructed boxy forms and faced them with irregular mosaic patterns that mixed rectangular plaques of chromed steel, bronze or burlwood veneer. These, like all of Paul Evans’s designs, are both useful and eye-catching. But their appeal has another, more visceral quality: these pieces have clearly been touched by an artist’s hand.
Find a collection of authentic Paul Evans furniture today on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: new york, NY
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.
- Paul Evans Cityscape Wall MirrorBy Paul EvansLocated in San Francisco, CAPaul Evans Cityscape brass wall mirror. In very good condition with signs of age and use, ready to install.Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Wall MirrorsMaterials
- Paul Evans Cityscape Stool or BenchBy Paul EvansLocated in San Francisco, CAPaul Evans design stool or bench for his Cityscape line, U.S.A. A rare form offered in its original black tufted leather and chrome patch quilt motif. Inspired by the city skyline, ...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern StoolsMaterials
- Aldo Tura Wall MirrorBy Aldo TuraLocated in San Francisco, CAAldo Tura decorative wall mirror in faux marbled finished goatskin or parchment, Italy. Playful jewels inlaid into each faceted border, in excellent original condition, labeled.Category
Vintage 1970s Italian Mid-Century Modern Wall MirrorsMaterials
- Mid Century Italian Wall MirrorLocated in San Francisco, CAUnusual mid century Italian molded teak plywood wall mirror. The wood frame is in excellent vintage condition with a slight chip to the mirror plate at one of the mounting points.Category
Vintage 1960s Italian Mid-Century Modern Wall MirrorsMaterials
- Sergio Rodrigues Rosewood Wall MirrorBy Sergio RodriguesLocated in San Francisco, CASergio Rodrigues design wall mirror. Superb quality construction made from solid Brazilian rosewood in excellent condition.Category
Vintage 1970s Brazilian Mid-Century Modern Wall MirrorsMaterials
- Mid-Century Italian Wall MirrorBy Gio PontiLocated in San Francisco, CAMid-century Italian wall mirror made from shaped and stained fruitwood with corner finger joints. In very good original condition with slight crazing to mirror plate.Category
Vintage 1950s Italian Mid-Century Modern Wall MirrorsMaterials
- Paul Evans Designed 'Cityscape' MirrorBy Paul EvansLocated in Brooklyn, NYMid-century modern chrome plated wall mirror with shelf. Great vintage design that holds up in today's modern homes. Made by Paul Evans with a mosaic silver plated design. Please con...Category
Mid-20th Century Mid-Century Modern Wall MirrorsMaterials
- Paul Evans Cityscape Mirror in Chrome, SignedBy Paul EvansLocated in Dallas, TXTall mirror by Paul Evans. Cityscape chrome and signed. Can be used as wall or floor mirror.Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Wall MirrorsMaterials
- Mid Century Paul Evans Cityscape Wall Mirror & Console Table Shelf in ChromeBy Paul Evans, DirectionalLocated in Philadelphia, PAAn incredible design combination, a cityscape wall shelf and mirror designed by Paul Evans in the 1970's. The set features fine heavy construction with chrome clad patchwork design. ...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Console TablesMaterials
- Mid Century Paul Evans Cityscape Wall Mirror & Console Table Shelf in BrassBy Paul Evans, DirectionalLocated in Philadelphia, PAAn incredible design combination, a cityscape wall shelf and mirror designed by Paul Evans in the 1970's. The set features fine heavy construction with brass clad patchwork design. I...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern ShelvesMaterials
- 1970s Modern Paul Evans Cityscape Patchwork Mirror Stainless SteelBy Paul EvansLocated in Chula Vista, CAStunning Mid Century Modern Wall Mirror Paul Evans attribution No label 1970s Cityscape Patchwork Mirror style of Paul Evans for Directional. Designed in Brushed Stainless Steel. 36 ...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Wall MirrorsMaterials
- Chrome Midcentury Square Cityscape Mirrors in the Style of Paul EvansBy Paul EvansLocated in Philadelphia, PAThese chrome cityscape mirrors are in the style of Paul Evans are old stock and are being sold as found.Category
Late 20th Century North American Mid-Century Modern Wall MirrorsMaterials