- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
One of the Pair Cityscape Headboard with Lights Paul Evans for Directional
- CreatorPaul Evans (Designer)
- DimensionsHeight: 46 in (116.84 cm)Width: 60 in (152.4 cm)Depth: 20 in (50.8 cm)
- StyleModern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1970s
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use. Excellent with typical age appropriate wear and minor patina on the metal.
- Seller LocationAtlanta, GA
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU90452247182
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Atlanta, GA
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.
About the Designer
A designer and sculptor, Paul Evans was a wild card of late 20th century modernism. A leading light of the American Studio Furniture movement, Evans’s sideboards, credenzas, coffee tables and other work manifests a singular aesthetic sense, as well as a seemingly contradictory appreciation for both folk art forms and for new materials and technologies.
Evans’s primary material was metal, not wood, which was favored by his fellow studio designers, and Bucks County, Pennsylvania, neighbors George Nakashima and Phillip Lloyd Powell. He trained in metallurgy and studied at the Cranbrook Academy of Art, the famed crucible of modern design and art in suburban Detroit. For a time early in his career, Evans also worked at Sturbridge Village, a historical “living museum” in Massachusetts, where he gave demonstrations as a costumed silversmith.
Evans’s earliest work unites these influences. The pieces that made his reputation are known as “sculpted-front” cabinets: wood cases faced with box-like high-relief patinated steel mounts laid out in a grid pattern. Each mount contains a metal emblem, or glyph, and the effect is that of a brawny quilt.
Evans’s later work falls into three distinct style groups. His sculpted-bronze pieces, begun in the mid-1960s, show Evans at his most expressive. He employed a technique in which resin is hand-shaped, and later sprayed with a metal coating, allowing for artistic nuance in the making of chairs, tables and case pieces. Later in the decade and into the 1970s, Evans produced his Argente series for celebrated manufacturer Directional (a brand known to vintage mid-century modern furniture collectors everywhere): consoles and other furniture forms that feature aluminum and pigment-infused metal surfaces welded into abstract organic forms and patterns.
Last, Evans's Cityscape design series — a milestone in the history of brutalist design — meshed perfectly with the sleek, “high tech” sensibility of the later ’70s. Evans constructed boxy forms and faced them with irregular mosaic patterns that mixed rectangular plaques of chromed steel, bronze or burlwood veneer. These, like all of Paul Evans’s designs, are both useful and eye-catching. But their appeal has another, more visceral quality: these pieces have clearly been touched by an artist’s hand.
Find a collection of authentic Paul Evans furniture today on 1stDibs.
- Cityscape Coffee Table Paul Evans for DirectionalBy Paul EvansLocated in Atlanta, GAA large brass patchwork cityscape coffee table in contrast with a rather unusual Brazilian rosewood top. A very generous size with striking visual impact. This is a custom pieces exe...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
Brass$6,400 Sale Price20% Off
- Cityscape Table by Paul Evans for DirectionalBy Paul EvansLocated in Atlanta, GAA nice brass and chrome patchwork cityscape table, model no PE 231 by Paul Evans for Directional, circa 1970s. Cube form with cross angled block support that exhibits a simply modern...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Side TablesMaterials
- Cityscape table lamp Paul Evans for DirectionalBy Paul EvansLocated in Atlanta, GAA table lamp in Cityscape series designed and made by Paul Evans for Directional circa 1970s. In a minimalistic cubic letter "T" form with chrome and brass patchwork surface, the lam...Category
Vintage 1970s American Table LampsMaterials
- Cityscape Brass Table Lamp Paul Evans for DirectionalBy Paul EvansLocated in Atlanta, GAA brass patchwork cityscape table lamp designed by Paul Evans for Directional circa 1970s. Model PE-4001, the bespoken lamp showcases an architectural form and stands defying gravity...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Table LampsMaterials
- Cityscape Floor Lamp by Paul Evans for DirectionalBy Paul EvansLocated in Atlanta, GAA floor lamp in Cityscape series designed and made by Paul Evans for Directional, circa 1970s. In a minimalistic cubic form with chrome and brass patchwork surface, the lamp is one o...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Floor LampsMaterials
- Cityscape Leather Desk Chair with Castors by Paul Evans for DirectionalBy Paul EvansLocated in Atlanta, GAA wonderful cityscape chair in chrome and brass patchwork made by Paul Evans studio for Directional, circa 1974. The chair is supported by exposed legs that extend to the back, givin...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Office Chairs and Desk ChairsMaterials
- Movie Star Paul Evans Chrome Cityscape Style Queen HeadboardBy Paul EvansLocated in Hopewell, NJPhenomenal iconic design by Paul Evans is exemplified in this brushed and shiny chrome patchwork cityscape queen sized headboard. On the inside periphery of the headboard there are t...Category
Vintage 1970s North American Mid-Century Modern Beds and Bed FramesMaterials
- Vintage Mirrored Headboard in the Style of Paul EvansBy Paul EvansLocated in Brooklyn, NYA mesmerizing headboard in the style of Paul Evans, this vintage piece is full of Mid-Century Modern extravagance that is sure to attract attention and brighten up any bedroom. Bed f...Category
Mid-20th Century Mid-Century Modern Beds and Bed FramesMaterials
- Paul Evans Cityscape End Tables or Nightstands with DrawersBy Paul Evans, DirectionalLocated in Chicago, ILPaul Evans Cityscape end tables or nightstands with drawers, from PE 200 Series, Chrome plated tiles with rare drawer function. Signed Paul Evans an Original.Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern End TablesMaterials
- Pair Paul Evans Cityscape Night Stands, Burl and Brass with Drawers, SignedBy Paul Evans, DirectionalLocated in Kansas City, MORare and fine pair of burl and brass Cityscape night stands / nightstands designed by Paul Evans for Directional, 1970s. Both have two drawers that function perfectly. Clusters of li...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Night StandsMaterials
- Paul Evans Style Walnut Sculptural Headboard Mid-century ModernBy Paul EvansLocated in Pemberton, NJFabulous sculptural walnut brutalist kingsize headboard made by United furniture company. This piece is very impressive in person with the well sculpted bands in a brutalist style. ...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern Beds and Bed Frames
- Paul Evans Mid Century Chrome Cityscape Nightstand Side TableBy Paul EvansLocated in Countryside, ILPaul Evans Mid Century Chrome Cityscape nightstand side table This table measures: 20 wide x 20 deep x 20.5 inches high All pieces of furniture can be had in what we call resto...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Side TablesMaterials