- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
"Ellsworth Kelly" Art Book by Tricia Y. Paik
- CreatorEllsworth Kelly (Artist)
- DimensionsHeight: 12.375 in. (31.44 cm)Width: 9.75 in. (24.77 cm)Depth: 1.5 in. (3.81 cm)
- StyleMid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture2000s
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use. Small nick in the liner and binding of book. Please see picture.
- Seller LocationSan Diego, CA
- Reference NumberSeller: #21341stDibs: LU936627509472
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingShips From: San Diego, CA
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
About the Artist
Ellsworth Kelly was one of the key figures in postwar American art, exercising major influence on the fields of Pop art, minimalism, Color-Field and hard-edge painting. Widely known for his brightly colored geometric compositions, he was among the first artists, alongside his contemporary Frank Stella, to use irregularly shaped canvases. Although highly abstract, Kelly’s paintings and prints are precise expressions in color and form of his sensory experience of the world.
Kelly's works, both two- and three-dimensional, are in the collections of the Museum of Modern Art, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, and displayed at such sites as the UNESCO headquarters in Paris.
Kelly grew up in the town of Newburgh, New York, near the Oradell Reservoir. He was an avid birder as a child and loved the colorful illustrations of naturalist John James Audubon. Encouraged to study art by a high school teacher, he enrolled at the Pratt Institute in Brooklyn, remaining there until 1943, when he was inducted into the army. During World War II, he served along with scores of other artists, in a unit known as the Ghost Army, where he learned the elements of camouflage while creating ersatz trucks and tanks intended to mislead Axis forces.
When the war was over, Kelly took advantage of the G.I. Bill to study painting at the School of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, drawing inspiration from the museum's collections, and, later, at the École nationale supérieure des Beaux-Arts, in Paris. While in France, he immersed himself in the varied artistic movements and styles represented there and befriended Americans avant-gardists, such as composer John Cage and choreographer Merce Cunningham, as well as the German-French Surrealist Jean Arp and Romanian sculptor Constantin Brâncuși.
Upon his return to the United States, in 1954, he found himself at odds with the dominant style of the period, Abstract Expressionism, which favored a dynamic and energetic application of paint in a loose manner. Like Stella, Kelly was interested in formal precision and explorations of color. Following an exhibition of his work at the Betty Parsons Gallery in 1956, Kelly’s work was included in the "Young America 1957” show at the Whitney Museum of American Art.
During the 1960s, Kelly played with color and form to tease out and celebrate the tension between a painting’s subject and its background. In one of his most famous works, 1963's Red Blue Green, for example, two shapes, one red, one blue, both contrast and resonate with a green background that extends to the edge of the canvas on both sides, appearing at moments to be the work’s primary shape. To explore this relationship between form and ground further, Kelly began using nontraditional, shaped canvases, as in the monochromatic 1966 Yellow Piece, from, whose two curved corners draws the eye to the wall behind it, as though the gallery wall itself were part of the composition. A lithograph from the same period, Blue and Orange consists of two shapes in the title’s complementary colors facing off against one another with a tension that makes them appear almost animated.
Kelly made drawings and prints throughout his career, using plants and flowers as his primary source of inspiration. Like his paintings, his drawings tend to be relatively flat in perspective, but they are rarely abstract. A 1993 drawing of an oak leaf is clearly representational, but rendered with very minimal color and line. In the mid-1960s, he produced the series “Suite of Twenty-Seven Lithographs” with the Paris-based Maeght Éditeur.
Later, collaborating with Gemini G.E.L., he created very large-scale works, such as 1988’s Purple/Red/Gray/Orange, which is 18 feet long and might be one of the biggest lithographs ever made. Kelly produced 140 sculptures, including the aluminum White Curves, created for the Fondation Beyeler, in Riehen, Switzerland, in 2002. In his three-dimensional works, as in his paintings, Kelly used form, color and light to play with perceptions of surface and depth, inviting viewers to look closely and see the world in a new way.
Find original Ellsworth Kelly art on 1stDibs.
- "Picasso Theatre" Book by Douglas CooperBy Pablo PicassoLocated in San Diego, CA"Picasso Theatre" book by Douglas Cooper, an illustrated celebration of Picasso's lifelong interest in the dramatic arts. The book presents all of Picasso's major works dealing with ...Category
Mid-20th Century Mexican Mid-Century Modern BooksMaterials
- Sergio Rodrigues Monograph BookBy Sergio RodriguesLocated in San Diego, CASergio Rodrigues monograph edited by Soraia Cals. This is the most extensive book on the Brazilian designer and architect. An incredible amount of photos on his furniture, architectu...Category
Early 2000s Brazilian Mid-Century Modern BooksMaterials
- “Machine – the Museum of Modern Art New York” 1968 Book 'Rare Vintage'By MOMA Museum New YorkLocated in San Diego, CAIn original pressed, painted and hinged aluminum covers with an image of MOMA and a yellow New York taxi cab at the front. This is a very unique and rare book. This is the exhibition...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern BooksMaterials
- "Return of the Enola Gay" Book Signed by Pilot Paul W. TibbetsBy Françoise GilotLocated in San Diego, CA"Return of the Enola Gay" book hand signed by pilot Paul W. Tibbets, circa 1998. The 339 page, illustrated book is in very good condition. Binding is tight and squared. Inside pages ...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern BooksMaterials
- La Bauhaus y el México Moderno, EL Diseño de Van beuren Book by Ana Elena MalletBy Charles and Ray EamesLocated in San Diego, CA2014 Ana Elena Mallet BAUHAUS & MODERN MEXICO Design by Michael Van Beuren Book. (Spanish). First edition.Category
2010s Mexican Mid-Century Modern AntiquitiesMaterials
- Motor's 1907 Motor Car Directory Antique BookLocated in San Diego, CAThis very rare and hard-to-find 1907 annual provides photos, specifications, prices for gasoline, steam, and electric automobiles and trucks that were sold in the USA during 1907. Th...Category
Early 20th Century American BooksMaterials
You May Also Like
Early 2000s North American Mid-Century Modern Books
Early 2000s American Mid-Century Modern Books
20th Century Unknown American Classical Books
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern Books
21st Century and Contemporary Books
1990s Tibetan Tibetan Books
20th Century French Art Deco Books
20th Century Italian Arts and Crafts Books
20th Century Chinese Chinese Export Books
20th Century American Tribal Books
Featured in Pride
1970s Pop Art Figurative Prints
Vintage 1960s Modernist Fashion Rings
1980s Pop Art Color Photography
1950s Contemporary Photography
2010s American Modern Chairs
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery