- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Kai Kristiansen Danish Modern Teak Tambour Door Record Cabinet
- DimensionsHeight: 30 in. (76.2 cm)Width: 33.75 in. (85.73 cm)Depth: 15.75 in. (40.01 cm)
- StyleScandinavian Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and TechniquesTeak
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacturecirca 1960-1970
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use. Structurally sound and sturdy design. Wear commensurate with age and use. The doors move with ease. Minor scratches.
- Seller LocationGarnerville, NY
- Reference NumberSeller: ARCornell08.23.21.21stDibs: LU1236225008562
Shipping & Returns
- Shipping$599 In-Home Delivery Shippingto United States 0, arrives in 3-8 weeks. We recommend this shipping type based on item size, type and fragility.Delivered by appointment to the room of your choice.Ships From: Garnerville, NY
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.
About the Designer
With a passion for math and engineering, Kai Kristiansen has created high-quality wood furniture for decades. Beginning in the 1950s, his chairs, modular shelving and other furnishings were made in the style that would become internationally renowned as Danish modern and boasted clean lines, perfected functionality and exacting craftsmanship.
Born in Denmark, Kristiansen trained in cabinetmaking before studying with Kaare Klint, often cited as the “father of modern Danish design,” at the Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts in Copenhagen. At just 26 years old, Kristiansen opened his own studio.
Kristiansen had his mid-century breakthrough in 1956 with the Chair #42, which he made with Schou Andersen. Unlike most other chairs at the time, Chair #42’s armrests, with their wealth of radical angles, were connected to the back rather than the front legs. This unconventional flourish makes the backrest appear as though it is floating in midair above the seat. Kristiansen’s next innovation was a modular wall system in 1957 — three years ahead of Dieter Rams’s more famous 606 Universal Shelving System. Called the Reolsystem Wall Unit, produced by SB Feldballes Møbelfabrik, it’s also known as the FM Wall Unit as FM/Fornem Møbelkunst began producing it in the 1960s. Kristiansen would go on to work with other leading Danish furniture manufacturers such as Magnus Olesen, Fritz Hansen and Vildbjerg Møbelfabrik, designing everything from chairs and desks to sideboards and cabinets, frequently in rosewood and teak. (The latter was a sought-after wood by Scandinavian modern designers.)
While many of Kristiansen’s timeless designs remain in production, such as his Paper Knife sofa, which was reintroduced by Miyazaki Chair Factory in 2008, and his 1950s Entré collection, which was relaunched with Great Dane Furniture in 2016, others are prized as vintage mid-century pieces. Today, Kristiansen is still at work on new furniture with an expert eye to thoughtfully functional designs that are made to last.
Find a collection of vintage Kai Kristiansen furniture on 1stDibs.
- By Vildbjerg Møbelfabrik, Kai KristiansenLocated in Garnerville, NYKai Kristiansen for Vildbjerg Mobelfabrik. Made in Denmark. Nicely figured teak veneers, solid teak supports and...Category
Vintage 1960s Danish Scandinavian Modern Nesting Tables and Stacking TablesMaterials
Teak$1,575 / set
- By Soborg Mobler, Børge MogensenLocated in Garnerville, NYBorge Mogensen designed for Soborg Mobler teak and oak sliding door cabinet. Two interior adjustable shelves and...Category
Vintage 1950s Danish Scandinavian Modern CabinetsMaterials
- By Kai Kristiansen, Bent Moller Jepsen, Raymor, Nanna Ditzel, Kurt OlsenLocated in Garnerville, NYDramatic low arm Danish Modern Teak and upholstered chair for Raymor. Bares the Danish Control and Raymor tags. ...Category
Vintage 1950s Danish Scandinavian Modern ArmchairsMaterials
Wool, Upholstery, Teak
- By Hans J. WegnerLocated in Garnerville, NYBeautiful pair of cabinets designed by Hans Wegner for Ry Mobler, Denmark. Teak veneer construction with solid t...Category
Vintage 1950s Danish Scandinavian Modern DressersMaterials
Teak$3,500 / item
You May Also Like
Vintage 1960s Danish Scandinavian Modern Side Tables
Late 20th Century Thai Scandinavian Modern Magazine Racks and Stands
Vintage 1960s Danish Mid-Century Modern Coat Racks and Stands
Vintage 1960s Danish Mid-Century Modern Bookends
Antique Early 1900s English Arts and Crafts Cabinets
Early 20th Century Italian Art Nouveau Magazine Racks and Stands
2010s American Modern Music Stands
Vintage 1960s Danish Scandinavian Modern Cabinets
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Insured Global Delivery