Rare Danish Writing Armchairs by IB Kofod Larsen for Selig
About the Item
- Creator:Ib Kofod-Larsen (Designer)
- Dimensions:Height: 28 in (71.12 cm)Width: 28.5 in (72.39 cm)Depth: 23 in (58.42 cm)Seat Height: 16.5 in (41.91 cm)
- Sold As:Set of 2
- Style:Mid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1960s
- Condition:Reupholstered. Wear consistent with age and use. In great condition with the seat having been reupholstered a while back , the frames are in vintage condition with a few very slight marks and some slight wear from age and use .
- Seller Location:Cincinnati, OH
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU925126909992
Furniture maker and architect Ib Kofod-Larsen was one of the greatest design minds to emerge from mid-century Denmark, and his impact was felt across the world, especially in the United States. Kofod-Larsen, who is known for his exemplary seating, tables and storage solutions, understood that the attention to detail, quality materials and functional design ethos of the Scandinavian modernism style he followed would become part of a major international movement.
Originally trained as a cabinetmaker, Kofod-Larsen later studied at the Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts and was most interested in designing practical yet graceful furniture, although he also dabbled in things like wallpaper and textiles. He favored natural grains and woods like teak and rosewood combined with leather, steel and fabric upholsteries to create inviting pieces. Working with manufacturers such as Faarup Møbelfabrik, Christensen & Larsen and Bovenkamp, he brought his sculptural aesthetic to the world.
Some of his seating designs have earned legendary status: The U-56 chair (1956) was renamed the Elizabeth because England’s Queen Elizabeth II is said to have picked up a pair during a 1958 trip to Denmark. With OPE Möbler, he created the Seal chair (1956) with a wooden frame shaped around leather upholstery. The sculptural Penguin chair (1953), produced by Selig and named for its curved back, became Denmark’s most frequently exported piece of furniture to the U.S. at the time. Its bentwood shell echoes the work of Kofod-Larsen’s modernist contemporaries Eero Saarinen and Charles and Ray Eames, while its options as a dining, lounging and rocking chair offer versatility for the home.
As mid-century modern furniture experiences a fresh wave of popularity in the U.S. — although, one could argue that it never really went away — Kofod-Larsen’s timeless pieces are among the most coveted vintage finds. Several of his designs continue to be produced, such as the Penguin chair, which has been manufactured by Brdr. Petersen since 2012.
Find vintage Ib Kofod-Larsen furniture today on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Cincinnati, OH
- Return PolicyThis item cannot be returned.
- Arne Vodder Teak Tilt Back Upholstered Armchair DenmarkBy Arne VodderLocated in Cincinnati, OHAn upholstered Arne Vodder tilting back arm chair having a nicely padded bottom and back cushion with sculptural dark wood frame constructed in D...Category
Mid-20th Century Danish Mid-Century Modern ArmchairsMaterials
- Art Deco Aluminum Upholstered armchair by GoodForm General FireproofingBy GoodFormLocated in Cincinnati, OHA brushed aluminum framed armchair with curved arm rests and upholstered seat and back. The fabric is a textured dark greenish leatherette and came from the barber shop at Cincinnati's inconic Union Terminal Art Deco train...Category
Mid-20th Century American Art Deco ArmchairsMaterials
- Teak Occasional Chair by Dux / Ekselius, Ohlsson SwedenBy Dux of SwedenLocated in Cincinnati, OHA solid teak framed occasional chair with flared arms and upholstered in a cream toned tightly woven linen. Retains the manufactures branded mark to the seat bottom by Dux made in Sw...Category
Mid-20th Century Swedish Mid-Century Modern ArmchairsMaterials
- Early Label Eames Armshell Chair by Herman MillerBy Charles and Ray EamesLocated in Cincinnati, OHAn elephant gray green toned fiberglass armshell chair with satin black iron X-base, rubber and metal boot feet , large early shock mounts and the red second generation decal label w...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern ArmchairsMaterials
- Philippe Starck Costes Chair by Driade ItalyBy Philippe StarckLocated in Cincinnati, OHA very well crafted Costes chair by French designer Philippe Starck with rounded wood back and hole detail to the upper edge for pulling the chair into po...Category
Late 20th Century Italian Modern ChairsMaterials
- Rare Sculptural Arm / Lounge Chair by Norman Chener for PlycraftBy PlycraftLocated in Cincinnati, OHA sculptural bent wood framed arm chair / lounge chair with ribbed black leatherette upholstery. This rare form shares it's DNA with the other pie...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Danish Armchairs by Ib Kofod - LarsenBy OPE, Ib Kofod-LarsenLocated in Brescia, ITPair of armchairs model Kandidaten for Ope. Iconic Danish design object designed by Ib Kofod in the 1960s. The solid teak wood frame has essential and refined lines. The greenish...Category
Vintage 1960s Danish Scandinavian Modern ArmchairsMaterials
Faux Leather, Teak
- Rare Ib Kofod-Larsen "Elizabeth" Armchair, Denmark 1960sBy Ib Kofod-LarsenLocated in Utrecht, NLThis chair by Danish design icon, Ib Kofod-Larsen, was designed and launched in 1958 as a writing chair to be coordinated with the equally famous model IL-01. Produced by Christensen & Larsen in Denmark, this “Elizabeth” armchair...Category
Vintage 1960s Danish Mid-Century Modern ArmchairsMaterials
- Danish Modern Leather Lounge Chairs by Ib Kofod Larsen for SeligBy Ib Kofod-Larsen, SeligLocated in North Hollywood, CAStunning Danish modern leather lounge chairs by Ib Kofod Larsen for Selig in Denmark, circa 1950s. The sculptural frames on these chairs are made of solid walnut stain. The well-craf...Category
Vintage 1950s Danish Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Danish Modern Walnut Lounge Chairs by Ib Kofod Larsen for SeligBy Ib Kofod-Larsen, SeligLocated in North Hollywood, CAWonderful Danish modern walnut lounge chairs by architect and furniture designer Ib Kofod for Selig in Denmark, circa 1960s. These chairs have an architectural design that focuses on...Category
Vintage 1960s Danish Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Swedish ‘Candidate’ Chair by Danish Legend by Ib Kofod LarsenBy Ib Kofod-LarsenLocated in Kensington, MDThe Swedish ‘Candidate’ Chair by Danish Legend, by Ib Kofod Larsen Additional information: Featured at DC: This chair’s defining feature is the s...Category
Mid-20th Century Mid-Century Modern Armchairs
- Pair of Spear Lounge Chairs by Ib Kofod-Larsen 'Danish' for SeligBy Selig, Ib Kofod-LarsenLocated in Belmont, MATwo Ib Kofod-Larsen (Danish, 1921-2003) for Selig Spear Lounge Chairs, Denmark, c. 1960, walnut, brass, steel, each with round Selig tag, ht. 26 1/2, wd. 30, dp. 30 in.Category
Vintage 1960s Danish Mid-Century Modern ArmchairsMaterials