Arne Norell Leather and Chrome Tubular Safari Danish Mid-Century Modern Chair
About the Item
- Creator:Arne Norell (Designer)
- Dimensions:Height: 30 in (76.2 cm)Width: 29 in (73.66 cm)Depth: 26 in (66.04 cm)Seat Height: 16 in (40.64 cm)
- Style:Mid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1960
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. Minor fading. Common signs or wear.
- Seller Location:Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU6841234205702
Arne Norell’s enduring designs mixed leather and metal as well as turned wood and bentwood in pieces that allowed the natural beauty of these materials to shine. Simple and casual yet sophisticated, his vintage sofas, lounge chairs and other furniture epitomize the Scandinavian modern style that took post–World War II design by storm.
Although he created versatile furnishings that promoted comfort along with style, Norell is lesser known than many other mid-century designers, with some of his work produced only after his death. Born in Åsele, Sweden, Norell opened a furniture workshop in Solna, just north of Stockholm, in 1954. In 1958, he established Møbel AB Arne Norell on a farm in Småland. (This region is also the birthplace of IKEA, which opened its first store that same year.) The beauty and tranquility of this location were a source of inspiration.
In Småland, Norell created his most well-known designs, among them the Inca armchair with visible wooden dowels and plush leather, the Indra and Ilona sofas and the spare but elegant wood-framed Sirocco chair (1964). For many of his designs, Norell looked to the same military-style campaign furniture that had, decades prior, inspired the revered Safari chair (1933) crafted by Kaare Klint, a legendary Danish designer and Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts professor who taught the likes of Hans Wegner, Ole Wanscher and others.
Like these earlier furniture designers, Norell was committed to making comfortable and practical furniture. Using leather and warm woods as the building blocks of his work, he eschewed glue and screws, instead securing his designs with buckles and leather straps. In 1973, Norell earned posthumous recognition from the British Furniture Manufacturers Association for his sumptuous Ari chair, a luxurious lounge set on a chrome-plated steel frame with foam cushions covered in leather.
During his lifetime, Norell’s work was popular among European interior designers. However, it became more widely known after 1971, when many of his designs were finally put into production. Norell’s furnishings, as well as work by his daughter Marie Norell-Möller and other Swedish designers, are still crafted by hand in the Aneby, Sweden, factory operated by Norell Furniture, which has remained a family-run company.
Find a collection of authentic vintage Arne Norell furniture today on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- Arne Norell “Kontiki” Safari Leather SofaBy Arne NorellLocated in Fort Lauderdale, FL3-seater sofa model Kontiki designed by Arne Norell in original leather. Produced by Arne Norell AB in Aneby, Sweden. Patina on leather.Category
Vintage 1970s Swedish Scandinavian Modern SofasMaterials
- Arne Norell Ilona Safari Loveseat SofaBy Arne NorellLocated in Fort Lauderdale, FLArne Norell Ilona Safari Loveseat or Two-person Sofa. Made in Sweden. Original leather cushions. Hard to find color. Patina on leather. Labeled. Leat...Category
Vintage 1970s Swedish Scandinavian Modern LoveseatsMaterials
- Eric Merthen “Amiral” Chair Mid Century ModernBy Eric MerthenLocated in Fort Lauderdale, FLEric Merthen “Amiral” Chair. Original Dark Green Leather. Some restoration on one strap on seat.Category
Mid-20th Century Danish Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Danish Sheepskin Lounge ChairLocated in Fort Lauderdale, FLSuper comfortable Danish Lounge Chair. Honey toned sheepskin. Highback. Recently upholsterered.Category
Mid-20th Century Danish Scandinavian Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Oman Junn Danish Mid-Century Modern Credenza or ConsoleBy Gunni OmannLocated in Fort Lauderdale, FLStunning Danish Modern Console or Credenza by Oman Junn. Long Sculptural legs. 63w 18d 34.5h.Category
Mid-20th Century Danish Mid-Century Modern CredenzasMaterials
- Børge Mogensen 2254 Oak Sled Lounge Chair and Ottoman in CaneBy Børge MogensenLocated in Fort Lauderdale, FLBørge Mogensen lounge chair and ottoman designed in 1956 model number 2254 for Fredericia Stolefabrik. Frame made of solid oak with finger joints and cane. Labeled.Category
Mid-20th Century Danish Scandinavian Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
Fabric, Rattan, Oak
- Arne Norell Sirocco Safari Chairs by Norells in SwedenBy Arne Norell, NorellsLocated in Skanninge, SEThese chairs are being sold as pairs. The stated price is for one pair of chairs. Four pairs (eight chairs) are available. Wonderful condition on all eight chairs. They are as good...Category
Mid-20th Century Swedish Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Arne Norell Safari Lounge Chair for ScanformBy Scanform, Arne NorellLocated in Los Angeles, CAA 'Sirocco' safari chair designed by Arne Norell in 1966 and produced by Scanform in Colombia, a company licensed to manufacture the Sirocco chair for export to the US. This example ...Category
Mid-20th Century Colombian Scandinavian Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Midcentury Sirocco Safari Chairs Styled After Arne NorellBy Arne NorellLocated in North Hollywood, CAMidcentury sirocco safari chair by Arne Norell, this beautiful set of chairs features a strong solid ash-wood frame that gives an excellent color tone and a beautiful grain pattern c...Category
Late 20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
Fabric, Canvas, Ash
- Black Leather Safari Sling Chair in the style of Arne Norell for Norells ABBy Norell Möbel AB, Arne NorellLocated in TORONTO, CAStunning safari chair in black leather. Overall in great vintage condition with some minor wear and slight markings on patinaed leather. Joints are friction fit and are able to flat ...Category
Vintage 1960s Swedish Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Vintage Arne Norell Leather and Chrome Ari Lounge Chair and OttomanBy Arne Norell, Norell Möbel ABLocated in San Jose, CAMid-Century Modern 'Ari' Lounge Chair and Ottoman Footstool designed by Arne Norell for Norell Möbel AB, Sweden circa 1966. Features a sleek profile that comes in the original chestn...Category
Vintage 1960s Swedish Scandinavian Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
Recently ViewedView All
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery