- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Pair of Large Cab Lounge Chairs by Mario Bellini
About the Item
- Creator:Mario Bellini (Designer)
- Dimensions:Height: 32 in (81.28 cm)Width: 36 in (91.44 cm)Depth: 32 in (81.28 cm)Seat Height: 17 in (43.18 cm)
- Sold As:Set of 2
- Materials and Techniques:
- Date of Manufacture:1990's
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. Normal vintage wear.
- Seller Location:Dallas, TX
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU851832381532
Milan-born architect and designer Mario Bellini just may be the closest thing to a modern-day Renaissance man: His creative output spans genres, from electronics to furniture to architecture to cars, comprising iconic designs in each. He has been the recipient of multiple prestigious Compasso d’Oro design awards, and more than 20 of his works are in the permanent collection of the Museum of Modern Art.
Born in 1935, Bellini studied architecture at the Polytechnic University of Milan before founding his own firm in his native city in the early 1960s. He soon branched out beyond architecture, however, first for the tech manufacturer Olivetti, where he served as chief industrial design consultant from 1963 to 1991. During that time, Bellini oversaw the design of some of Olivetti’s most popular typewriters.
His penchant for electronic design didn’t stop there: Bellini also designed cameras for Fuji, televisions for Brionvega and a slew of audio devices for Yamaha, then served as design consultant for Renault and devised the interior of the 1980 Lancia Trevi for Fiat. Meanwhile, his architecture work spans continents, including such modern gems as the Museum of Islamic Arts at the Louvre, the National Gallery of Victoria extension in Melbourne, the Dubai Creek Complex and the Milan Convention Centre in his hometown.
And then there’s the furniture: Over the last 70 years, Bellini has designed office furniture for Vitra; lamps for Artemide, Erco and FLOS; porcelain for Rosenthal and long-admired sofas and other seating for Kartell, Natuzzi, B&B Italia, Cassina and more.
His oft-imitated 1977 Cab chair for Cassina, comprising 16 individual pieces of saddle leather that create a “skin” over a minimal metal frame, remains one of the manufacturer’s best sellers today. His pudgy-legged, round tables for Cassina foreshadow Faye Toogood’s widely loved Roly Poly line. His postmodern Summa armchairs for Kartell, as well as his elegant Chiara floor lamp, still lure collectors on vintage furniture websites.
Bellini’s most famous contribution to furniture design, though, may be his 1970 Camaleonda sofa for B&B Italia (then C&B Italia). An entrant to the 1972 MoMA show “Italy: The New Domestic Landscape,” the seat takes its name from the Italian words for chameleon and wave. Its bulbous, modular form makes it infinitely flexible. The sofa was a runaway hit at the show and, once discontinued, remained so popular among vintage dealers that B&B Italia reissued it in 2020 with all recycled materials and interchangeable seat covers. “Of all the objects I have designed, Camaleonda is perhaps the best in terms of its sense of freedom,” Bellini said.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Dallas, TX
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- Four Break Chairs by Mario Bellini for CassinaBy Mario BelliniLocated in Dallas, TXA set of four leather "Break" armchairs designed by Mario Bellini for Cassina.Category
Vintage 1970s ArmchairsMaterials
Leather$8,500 / set
- Pair of Ernst Schwadron Lounge ChairsLocated in Dallas, TXA pair of sculptural lounge chairs designed by Ernst Schwadron, New York.Category
Vintage 1950s Lounge ChairsMaterials
Fabric$12,000 / set
- Pair of Dunbar Lounge Chairs Model 609 by Edward WormleyBy Edward WormleyLocated in Dallas, TXA pair of rare lounge chairs model 609 designed by Edward Wormley for Dunbar. Original leather-like vinyl upholstery on Ash frame with brass hardware.Category
Vintage 1950s Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Pair of Lounge Chairs by Gilbert Rohde for Troy Sunshade CompanyBy Gilbert RohdeLocated in Dallas, TXA rare pair of lounge chairs designed by Gilbert Rohde for the Troy Sunshade Company, 1935. Reupholstered in green mohair.Category
Vintage 1930s Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Pair of Warren Platner Lounge Chairs for KnollBy Warren PlatnerLocated in Dallas, TXA pair of lounge chairs designed by Warren Platner for Knoll. Nickel plated steel newly upholstered in Holly Hunt / Teddy / Winter White. Two matching pairs available.Category
Vintage 1970s Lounge ChairsMaterials
Fabric$12,000 / set
- Set of 6 CAB 412 Chairs by Mario Bellini for Cassina, 1970sBy Cassina, Mario BelliniLocated in amstelveen, NLSet of 6 early edition CAB-412 dining room chairs in cognac saddle leather. Designed by Mario Bellini and manufactured by Cassina in the 1970s in Italy. The leather cover is stretche...Category
Vintage 1970s Italian Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
LeatherOn Hold$9,852 / set
- Italian modern Leather chairs mod CAB 414 by Mario Bellini for Cassina, 1980sBy Mario Bellini, CassinaLocated in MIlano, ITItalian modern Leather chairs mod CAB 414 by Mario Bellini for Cassina, 1980s Set of fantastic and comfortable 6 chair mod. CAB 412 in black leather. The leather follows the shapes...Category
Vintage 1980s Italian Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Italian Design Classics, Cab Chairs by Mario Bellini for Cassina, Set of 6By Mario Bellini, CassinaLocated in Renens, CHSet of two Cab 413 armchairs and four Cab 412 side chairs in red leather by Mario Bellini for Cassina. These very comfortable lounge chairs are built up with a tubular steel fra...Category
1990s Italian Mid-Century Modern Side ChairsMaterials
- Mario Bellini Leather "Cab" Chairs for Cassina, circa 1980By Cassina, Mario BelliniLocated in Costa Mesa, CAMario Bellini set of ten leather "Cab" chairs for Cassina, circa 1980. Each chair is marked Cassina I - 12 to the bottom.Category
20th Century Italian Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Mario Bellini Brown Leather "Cab" Chairs for CassinaBy Mario Bellini, CassinaLocated in Costa Mesa, CAMario Bellini Brown Leather "Cab" Armchairs for Cassina.Category
20th Century Italian Modern ArmchairsMaterials
- Cognac Leather Cab Lounge Chair by Mario Bellini, 1970sBy Cassina, Mario BelliniLocated in Schagen, NLCognac or terracotta Italian leather lounge chair designed by Mario Bellini, circa 1970s. The thick leather upholstery covers a metal base. Each leg features a zipper. To the upper s...Category
Late 20th Century Italian Post-Modern ArmchairsMaterials
- Mario Bellini 'Cab' Lounge Chair, by CassinaBy Cassina, Mario BelliniLocated in Barcelona, BarcelonaLoounge chair designed by Mario Bellini in 2015. Manufactured by Cassina in Italy. Roomy and inviting, Cab Lounge is a restatement of the Cab chair concept. Nothing short of a mas...Category
2010s Italian Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
Metal$8,155 / item
- Mario Bellini CAB 414 Lounge Chairs & Settee by Mario Bellini for CassinaBy Casina, Mario BelliniLocated in Hudson, NYPair of cab 414 armchairs & settee designed by Mario Bellini in 1979 for Cassina, Italy. Steel frame covered with a thick black leather. Stamped with Cassina logo.Category
Vintage 1970s Italian Modern SetteesMaterials
- Pair of Italian Space Age Mario Bellini Style Organic Lounge Chairs, 1970, ItalyBy Joe Colombo, Mario BelliniLocated in Biebergemund, HessenExtraordinary Space Age Italian lounge chairs in the style of Mario Bellini. The frame of the chairs is covered with a rounded soft foam and upholstered with very fine Italian fabric...Category
Late 20th Century Italian Space Age Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Camaleonda Pair of lounge chair by Mario BelliniBy Mario BelliniLocated in Antwerp, BEPostmodern easy chairs by Mario Bellini for B&B Italia Newly upholstered in blue cotton velvet. We have an expert in house upholstery service. We can accommodate your every need. R...Category
Vintage 1970s European Post-Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
Velvet$12,800 / set
- Pair of Black Leather Cab 414 Lounge Chairs by Mario Bellini, Cassina, ca. 1970sBy Cassina, Mario BelliniLocated in Geneva, CHPair of early Cab 414 lounge chairs, black high quality leather zippered over the steel frame. Beautiful patina. Signed Cassina under the seat ( picture ) Very comfortable chairs.Category
Vintage 1970s Italian Lounge ChairsMaterials
Recently ViewedView More
Who Is Mario Bellini, and Why Is His 1970s Camaleonda Sofa Everywhere Right Now?
Get the lowdown on the ultrachic modular sofas that are currently taking up real estate in your Instagram saved folder.
Kaleidoscopic Upholstery Makes This Edward Wormley Chair a Showstopper
What at first glance seems an unusual choice jibes perfectly with the designer's aesthetic.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery