Pair of Preben Fabricius for Walter Knoll Cordovan Leather Lounge Chairs
About the Item
- Dimensions:Height: 28.5 in (72.39 cm)Width: 29.25 in (74.3 cm)Depth: 29.5 in (74.93 cm)Seat Height: 16.25 in (41.28 cm)
- Sold As:Set of 2
- Style:Mid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1972
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:Brooklyn, NY
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU1444225028172
Inspired by the Bauhaus — founded in 1919 by Walter Gropius — Walter Knoll decided to bet big on modernism. He launched his eponymous German furniture maker in 1925, and the company has been going strong ever since.
Most design lovers are familiar with Knoll, the manufacturer of furniture by Eero Saarinen, Harry Bertoia, Marcel Breuer, Ludwig Mies van der Rohe and other modernist giants. It was founded by Hans Knoll in 1941 and led after his death by his wife, Florence Knoll, the doyenne of postwar American office interiors. In recent years, the company has added collections by Maya Lin, Rem Koolhaas, Frank Gehry and David Adjaye, among others, and encouraged customers to do what some of them had been doing all along: use Knoll’s “office furniture” at home.
Fewer Americans are familiar with Walter Knoll, the company Hans’s father founded in Stuttgart, Germany, in 1925 and later moved to nearby Herrenberg. That company has existed in the shadow of the larger U.S.-based Knoll for decades.
Both companies descended from the German manufacturer of ornate leather goods established by Wilhelm Knoll in 1866. In 1907, Wilhelm’s sons, Willy and Walter, took over the father’s business and started producing leather club chairs. Five years later, the company introduced its Nestra line of stripped-down wood and leather seating, foreshadowing the family’s future innovations.
In 1925, when he was 50, Walter Knoll launched the Walter Knoll Company, which soon released the revolutionary Prodomo line of chairs, whose upholstered seats and backs are supported by tubular metal frames. Other lightweight Walter Knoll pieces were used in the passenger compartment of the Hindenburg zeppelin.
In 1927, Walter Knoll furnished five apartments designed by Ludwig Mies van der Rohe for the Weissenhof Estate, 21 prototypes of “workers’ housing of the future” constructed as part of an exhibition in Stuttgart. A decade later, Walter’s son Hans, then 24, traveled to the United States to market his father’s furniture and to make a new life for himself in the New World. But inspired by his encounters with Jens Risom — a Danish-born designer who furthered Scandinavian modernism in the United States — Hans broke away from Walter, creating Knoll Associates (now known simply as Knoll). Florence Schust (later to become Hans’s wife) joined him in the company in 1943, and soon they were working with mid-century modern icons such as Saarinen and Bertoia on new designs and licensing Mies’s Barcelona chair.
After the war, with his factories destroyed and labor and materials in short supply, Walter Knoll turned to Hans for help. Hans sent over several pieces from his Vostra line, designed by Risom. Walter replaced the web seats with upholstery and launched his version of the Vostra at the New Living exhibition in Cologne in 1949. It became hugely successful, persuading many Germans still accustomed to traditional furniture to give modernism a go.
Walter Knoll retired in 1964, but his namesake firm continued growing in Germany. Just like the American Knoll, Walter Knoll has found that some customers want to use pieces originally meant as office furniture in their houses. In fact, these pieces give living and dining rooms a crispness that almost no residential furniture can match.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Brooklyn, NY
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.
- Preben Fabricius for Walter Knoll Cordovan Leather and Chromed Steel SofaBy Preben Fabricius, Walter KnollLocated in Brooklyn, NYThree-seater sofa designed as part of the "710 Series" by Preben Fabricius for Walter Knoll (Germany, 1972). Featuring loose cushions retaining their original down feather filling an...Category
Vintage 1970s German Mid-Century Modern SofasMaterials
- Cordovan Leather and Chrome-Steel Sofa by Preben Fabricius for Walter KnollBy Preben Fabricius, Walter KnollLocated in Brooklyn, NYThree-seater sofa designed as part of the "710 Series" by Preben Fabricius for Walter Knoll (Germany, 1972). Featuring loose cushions retaining their original down feather filling an...Category
Vintage 1970s German Mid-Century Modern SofasMaterials
- Florence Knoll Lounge Chair with Original Wool UpholsteryBy KnollLocated in Brooklyn, NYKnoll arm / lounge chair designed by Florence Knoll in the early 1950's retaining its original orange fabric supported by cylindrical polished steel feet. This 1960s example, as evid...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern ArmchairsMaterials
- Pair of Vintage Preview Lounge ChairsBy Preview, Vladimir KaganLocated in Brooklyn, NYPostmodern "Preview" lounge chairs manufactured in the 1980s. Preview, a division of Wieman Furniture of Hickory North Carolina, gained acclaim in the late 1980s-1990s when Vladimir ...Category
Vintage 1980s American Post-Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Pair of Model R-83 Armchairs by Ladislav Rado for Knoll & DrakeBy Ladislav Rado, Knoll & DrakeLocated in Brooklyn, NYPair of model R-83 lounge / armchairs designed by Czechoslovakian Architect, Ladislav Rado, and produced for only one year in 1955 by Knoll and Drake (...Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern ArmchairsMaterials
- Swedish Modern Leather and Teak Lounge Chairs by Folke Ohlsson for DUXBy Folke Ohlsson, Dux of SwedenLocated in Brooklyn, NYFolke Ohlsson for Dux of Sweden sculptural staved-teak lounge chairs (Model 72-C) featuring a rounded / slatted back and loose cushions. Frames have been ref...Category
Vintage 1950s Swedish Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Set FK Lounge Chairs by Preben Fabricius and Jorgen Kastholm for Walter KnollBy Walter Knoll, Jørgen Kastholm & Preben FabriciusLocated in Halle, DESet (2) FK lounge chairs, designed end of the 60s by the scandinavian designerduo Preben Fabricius und Jorgen Kastholm. So called Bird Chair or Tulip C...Category
Vintage 1960s German Space Age Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Walter Knoll Lounge Chair in Original LeatherBy Walter KnollLocated in Waalwijk, NLWalter Knoll, lounge chair, leather, Germany, 1960s This half round lounge chair by Walter Knoll is designed in the 1960s. This model is called Piccolino and has thick, high quali...Category
Vintage 1960s German Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Preben Fabricius and Jorgen Kashtolm Swivel Chairs for Walter Knoll 1970s SignedBy Walter Knoll, Jørgen Kastholm & Preben FabriciusLocated in Los Angeles, CAThis incredible set of four swivel lounge chairs by Preben Fabricius and Jorgen Kastholm for Walter Knoll (Germany) featuring soft luxurious charcoal black suede leather seats and contrasting black leather arms, back and trim with matte chromed steel. Signed on some examples with foil label. *Priced as a set of four, contact us if you wish to purchase a pair. These rare collectors chairs are height adjustable via a lever underneath which can telescope the height by 3". As swivel chairs, they are ideal for many uses such as a desk chair, guest chairs, meeting room chairs, dining table or game table chairs, or even in a living room or den. Extremely high quality craftsmanship that you don't get in todays products. And timeless classic design that famed architects Fabricius and Kastholm were known and celebrated for. These rotating height adjusting suede, steel and leather armchairs by Preben Fabricius and Jorgen Kashtolm for Walter Knoll would work great in a Mid-Century Modern, Scandanavian Modern or Danish Modern home or penthouse apartment but could also look fantastic in a Contemporary or Post-Modern room. Also consider mixing it up in a Traditional, Transitional, Classical or Art Deco room with a splash of juxtaposition. Would also be an apt choice in a commercial project such as a hotel lobby lounge or members club, creative design studio or high-rise executive office. Consider using as side chairs, dining, cafe or breakfast table chairs...Category
Vintage 1970s German Modern Swivel ChairsMaterials
- Armchair by Preben Fabricius & Jørgen Kastholm, Walter KnollBy Walter Knoll, Jørgen Kastholm & Preben FabriciusLocated in Saint-Ouen, FRArmchair by Preben Fabricius & Jørgen Kastholm, Walter Knoll.Category
Vintage 1970s Danish Scandinavian Modern ArmchairsMaterials
- Walter Knoll 'Kyo' Upholstered Lounge Chairs by PearsonLloyd, Set of 2By Walter Knoll, PearsonLloydLocated in London, GBDesigned by PearsonLlyod for Walter Knoll, the Kyo lounge chair offers the perfect balance of comfort and style. The moulded bucket seat features a high back and is curved to crea...Category
21st Century and Contemporary German Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Preben Fabricius & Jørgen Kastholm "Bird" Armchairs Model-FK672 for Walter KnollBy Jørgen Kastholm & Preben Fabricius, Walter KnollLocated in The Hague, NLArmchairs- office chairs designed by Preben Fabricius & Jørgen Kastholm for Walter Knool International manufacture in 1960s period Denmark. Model no: FK6725 as well as mostly called...Category
Vintage 1960s Danish Mid-Century Modern ArmchairsMaterials