Peter Hvidt & Orla Molgaard Nielsen Series 300 Bookshelf
About the Item
- Creator:Hvidt & Mølgaard (Designer)
- Dimensions:Height: 37 in (93.98 cm)Width: 35.25 in (89.54 cm)Depth: 10.75 in (27.31 cm)
- Style:Scandinavian Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1960
- Condition:Refinished. Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:San Francisco, CA
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU812537707162
Hvidt & Mølgaard
Warm, exceptionally versatile and crafted with a range of appealing materials, vintage Peter Hvidt and Orla Mølgaard-Nielsen furniture showcases the Danish duo’s penchant for innovation and durable design. For decades, the pair created sleek coffee tables, seductive lounge chairs and other pieces that are characterized by the practicality and elegance commonly attributed to Scandinavian modernism.
Both Hvidt and Mølgaard-Nielsen attended what is now the Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts, with Mølgaard-Nielsen having completed his studies under the Danish furniture design pioneer and architect Kaare Klint. Trained as an architect and cabinetmaker, Hvidt established his own firm in 1940 and taught at his alma mater for a few years. After they won a design competition held in Stockholm, Hvidt partnered with Mølgaard-Nielsen in 1944 to establish their firm in Copenhagen.
The collaboration between Hvidt and Mølgaard-Nielsen yielded more than 250 designs and lasted over 30 years. Aside from having created a wardrobe for the Queen of Denmark as well as numerous architectural structures, the pair’s flagship achievements include 1944’s teak Portex chair, which is Denmark’s first-ever stacking chair (and is occasionally attributed to Hvidt alone), and the AX chair.
A masterpiece of technical expertise and innovative woodworking, the sculptural AX armchair shares commonalities with the work of legendary Finnish designer Alvar Aalto — whose output included similarly curvaceous seating such as the Paimio armchair, often designed in partnership with his wife, Aino. It features double-curved laminated wood in the seat and back — which could be mass-produced — and is an early example of knock-down furniture. This meant that it could be easily dismantled and assembled at its destination, which rendered the chair economical for transport on cargo ships and therefore could reach a worldwide audience.
While vintage Hvidt & Mølgaard furniture isn’t as popular as the work of Finn Juhl, a like-minded Danish modernist who helped popularize Scandinavian design in America as well as the use of teak in furniture, the innovative AX chair is similarly as expressive and inviting as Juhl’s seating. The AX was designed in collaboration with manufacturer Fritz Hansen during the late 1940s and went into production in 1950. It gave way to a series that includes tables and other types of seating.
Hvidt and Mølgaard-Nielsen collaborated regularly with Fritz Hansen, France & Søn and Søborg Møbelfabrik. Their work can be found in New York’s Museum of Modern Art, Copenhagen’s Design Museum and the National Gallery of Victoria in Melbourne.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: San Francisco, CA
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 7 days of delivery.
- Peter Hvidt & Orla Molgaard-Nielsen Teak CabinetsBy Soborg Mobler, Hvidt & MølgaardLocated in San Francisco, CAPeter Hvidt & Orla Mølgaard-Nielsen design cabinets for Soborg Mobler, Denmark. Rare pair of solid teak cabinets with adjustable interior shelves and attractive sliding doors. Origin...Category
Vintage 1960s Scandinavian Modern CabinetsMaterials
- Peter Hvidt & Orla Morgaard-Nielsen Cabinet for Soborg MoblerBy Soborg Mobler, Hvidt & MølgaardLocated in San Francisco, CAPeter Hvidt & Orla Morgaard-Nielsen cabinet for Soborg Mobler, Denmark. High quality solid teak construction case with bentwood sliding doors and two adjustable shelves. Simple elega...Category
Vintage 1950s Danish Scandinavian Modern CabinetsMaterials
- Peter Hvidt & Orla Moregaard Lounge Chairs Used on the Mad Men TV SeriesBy Hvidt & MølgaardLocated in San Francisco, CAPeter Hvidt & Orla Moregaard design lounge chairs for France & Davorecksen, Denmark. These are from the Emmy and Golden Globe award winning televisi...Category
Vintage 1960s Danish Scandinavian Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
Upholstery, Cane, Teak
- Kenneth Noland Print 72/300By Kenneth NolandLocated in San Francisco, CAKenneth Noland Untitled framed print, Signed and dated 1973. Stamped on back Copyright 1973 by Kenneth Noland pencil numbered 72/300 Printed at Styria Studio. Newly framed and ready ...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern PrintsMaterials
- Svend Langkilde Cabinet for Lankilde MoblerBy Svend LangkildeLocated in San Francisco, CASvend Langkilde design two door teak cabinet for Langklide Mobler, Denmark. High quality construction and use of materials, featuring two doors with inset brass hinges and a fitted a...Category
Vintage 1960s Danish Scandinavian Modern CabinetsMaterials
- Peter Hvidt & Orla Mølgaard Nielsen Sideboard in TeakBy Hvidt & MølgaardLocated in Waalwijk, NLPeter Hvidt & Orla Mølgaard Nielsen for Soborg Møbelfabrik, sideboard, teak, Denmark, 1959. High-quality and fine designed credenza in teak by Danish designer duo Peter Hvidt and Or...Category
Vintage 1950s Danish Scandinavian Modern SideboardsMaterials
- Peter Hvidt & Orla Molgaard Nielsen Scandinavian Wood Cabinet Sidebiard, 1960sBy Hvidt & MølgaardLocated in Reggio Emilia, ITScandinavian midcentury modern design credenza cabinet designed by Peter Hvidt & Orla Molgaard Nielsen for Soborg Mobelfabrik , Denmark 1960s Please note that the cabinet is origina...Category
Antique 1660s Danish Scandinavian Modern CabinetsMaterials
- Danish Bookcase by Peter Hvidt and Orla Mølgaard-NielsenBy Peter Hvidt, Orla Mølgaard-NielsenLocated in Oklahoma City, OKThe two-piece stacking teak bookcase by Peter Hvidt and Orla Mølgaard-Nielsen for John Stuart Inc. epitomizes a harmonious blend of form and functionality. Meticulously crafted from ...Category
Vintage 1960s Danish Mid-Century Modern BookcasesMaterials
- Dressing Table from 1960s by Peter Hvidt & Orla Mølgaard-NielsenBy Peter Hvidt, Orla Mølgaard-NielsenLocated in Neuss, NWRare dressing table/bureau from the 1960s. High-quality corpus made of solid teak with three drawers, six internal drawers, one pull-out work surface, a mirror and a wooden base in t...Category
Vintage 1960s Danish Commodes and Chests of DrawersMaterials
- Peter Hvidt & Orla Mølgaard-Nielsen buffet sideboard scandinavian design danishBy Orla Mølgaard-Nielsen, Peter HvidtLocated in Lyon, FRDanish sideboard from the 60s, designed by Danish designers Peter Hvidt and Orla Mølgaard-Nielsen. Solid teak structure, magnificent straight tail assembly on the sides. Composed of ...Category
Vintage 1960s Danish Mid-Century Modern SideboardsMaterials
- Danish Teak Bookcase by Peter Hvidt and Orla Mølgaard-NielsenBy Orla Mølgaard-Nielsen, Peter HvidtLocated in Oklahoma City, OKThe two-piece stacking teak bookcase by Peter Hvidt and Orla Mølgaard-Nielsen for John Stuart Inc. epitomizes a harmonious blend of form and functionality. Meticulously crafted from ...Category
Vintage 1960s BookcasesMaterials