Rare Vintage Bookshelf by Greta M. Grossman
View Similar Items
Rare Vintage Bookshelf by Greta M. Grossman
- Dimensions:Height: 38.5 in (97.79 cm)Width: 41.5 in (105.41 cm)Depth: 12.25 in (31.12 cm)
- Style:Mid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1950's
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. This piece is in very good vintage condition with only minor wear.
- Seller Location:North Hollywood, CA
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU127022707412
About the Designer
Greta Magnusson Grossman
Designer and architect Greta Magnusson Grossman first gained fame in her native Sweden, where she established her store and workshop and became the first woman to receive a prize for furniture design from the Swedish Society of Industrial Design. In 1940, she married jazz musician Billy Grossman and moved to Los Angeles.
Upon her arrival in Southern California, she opened the Magnusson Grossman Studio on Rodeo Drive and rapidly became popular among the Hollywood elite, including Greta Garbo and Gracie Allen. In addition to creating iconic furniture and lighting — like the Grasshopper series for Barker Bros. or the Cobra lamp for Ralph O. Smith — Magnusson Grossman designed 14 homes in the Los Angeles area inspired by the Case Study Houses.
About the Manufacturer
Glenn of California
Credited for being at the forefront of the West Coast modernist design movement, Glenn of California introduced a relaxed, breezy and elegant style to postwar America. The company was based in Arcadia, California, a city situated near Los Angeles at the base of the San Gabriel Mountains. It specialized in the production of easily accessible and reasonably affordable furnishings that included credenzas, chairs, cabinets, tables and more.
However, it wasn’t until Glenn of California hired the prolific American furniture designer Milo Baughman that the company made a name for itself in the annals of American mid-century modern design. Baughman prioritized function — he worked with simple forms and often used sleek, flat-bar chromed metal and natural materials such as walnut in his pieces.
Glenn of California marketed Baughman’s designs along with those of unsung Swedish architect and designer Greta Magnusson-Grossman in their successful California Modern collection. The first woman to receive an award from the Swedish Society of Industrial Design, Grossman drew on her Scandinavian heritage to create iconic homes as well as furnishings for Glenn and other companies that helped define mid-century-era Southern California. The furniture she and Baughman designed became known for its laid-back Los Angeles style and thoughtful integration of walnut, iron and Formica.
In addition to employing the talents of Baughman and Magnusson-Grossman, Glenn of California collaborated with several other notable and influential designers. These included Stanley Young, Kipp Stewart, John Kapel and Paul Laszlo. Laszlo, an American-Hungarian architect, interior designer and furniture designer, was well-regarded among Hollywood’s elite and designed pieces for Cary Grant, Barbara Stanwyck and Elizabeth Taylor.
While the company is no longer in business, vintage Glenn of California furniture remains highly sought-after by collectors and enthusiasts.
- Mid Century Walnut Dining Chairs by Greta M. Grossman for Glenn of CaliforniaBy Glenn of California, Greta Magnusson GrossmanLocated in North Hollywood, CAStunning mid-century walnut dining chairs designed by architect and furniture designer Greta M. Grossman for Glenn of California, in the United States, circa 1950’s. These exquisite ...Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
Leather, Bouclé, Walnut
- Vintage Steel and Lucite "Waterfall" Etagere by Charles Hollis JonesBy Charles Hollis JonesLocated in North Hollywood, CABeautiful vintage steel and lucite “waterfall” etagere by Charles Hollis Jones, made in the United States, circa 1970s. This etagere belongs to the coveted waterfall collection, feat...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern ShelvesMaterials
- Vintage Custom Etagere/Shelving Unit in Lucite and Brass by Charles Hollis JonesBy Charles Hollis JonesLocated in North Hollywood, CAStunning vintage custom etagere/shelving unit in lucite and brass by Charles Hollis Jones and manufactured in the United States, circa 1980s. Jones was ...Category
Vintage 1980s American Mid-Century Modern ShelvesMaterials
- Vintage Walnut Magazine Coffee Table by Milo Baughman for Glenn of CaliforniaBy Glenn of California, Milo BaughmanLocated in North Hollywood, CAExceptional vintage walnut magazine coffee table designed by Milo Baughman for Glenn of California in the United States, circa 1950s. This table has a conservative but highly versati...Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- Vintage Walnut and Lacquered Dresser by Stanley Young for Glenn of CaliforniaBy Glenn of California, Stanley YoungLocated in North Hollywood, CAFabulous vintage walnut and lacquered Dresser by Stanley Young for Glenn of California in the United States, circa 1950s. This dresser has a minimalist but highly functional design, ...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern DressersMaterials
- Rare Vintage Model 2010-S Walnut Sofa by Adrian PearsallBy Craft Associates, Adrian PearsallLocated in North Hollywood, CARare vintage "Cloud" sofa designed by architect and furniture designer Adrian Pearsall for Craft Associates in the United States. This stunning sofa, also known as model 2010-S, feat...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern SofasMaterials
Fabric, Walnut$7,995 Sale Price25% Off
- Jacques Adnet Style BookshelfBy Jacques AdnetLocated in Beverly Hills, CAHandsome oak and leather bookshelf in the style of Jacques Adnet. Newly produced after a vintage Adnet bookshelf. Custom iron frame with saddle leather...Category
2010s American Shelves and Wall CabinetsMaterials
Brass, Iron$8,800 / item
- Set of 3 Rare 'Delft' Shelves by Constant Nieuwenhuijs for 't Spectrum, 1957By 't Spectrum Bergeijk, Constant NieuwenhuysLocated in Steenwijk, NLThis set of 3 shelves, called 'delft ', is a design by Constant Nieuwenhuijs. Nieuwenhuijs was a member of the CoBrA movement. He is known as a F...Category
Vintage 1950s Dutch Mid-Century Modern Shelves and Wall CabinetsMaterials
- Set of Rare Multi-Color Curved Shelving Units by Frederick WeinbergBy Frederic WeinbergLocated in Kensington, MDSet of Rare Multi-Color Curved Shelving Units by Frederick Weinberg Additional information: Material: Iron Very cool, very ’50s-evocative modular ...Category
Mid-20th Century Mid-Century Modern ShelvesMaterials
IronPrice Upon Request
- Rare Art Nouveau Wall Shelf by Eugene Gaillard France 1900 Jugendstil WalnutBy Eugène GaillardLocated in Ijzendijke, NLExquisite & most rare! This French Art Nouveau wall shelf designed by art nouveau grandmaster Eugene Gaillard circa 1900. Superb organic design...Category
Antique Early 1900s French Art Nouveau Shelves and Wall CabinetsMaterials
Fruitwood, Walnut$10,655Free Shipping
- Mid Century Walnut Dresser by Greta GrossmanBy Greta Magnusson Grossman, Glenn of CaliforniaLocated in Dallas, TXBeautiful Mid Century Walnut Dresser by Greta Grossman for Glenn of California. Classic mid-century modern design featuring warm, rich walnut wood grain, with Grossman's signature ro...Category
Vintage 1960s North American Mid-Century Modern DressersMaterials
- Tomado Midcentury Modular Wall Unit, Shelving System with Rare BookstandsBy TomadoLocated in Schagen, NLThis modular industrial piece, features 3 shelves, two gliding stands for books and one stand to place upon the shelves. These stands are not often to be found anymore. Every shelf ...Category
Mid-20th Century Dutch Mid-Century Modern ShelvesMaterials