'Coclea' Convertible Cocktail / Dining Table by Maison Jansen, c. 1970
About the Item
- Dimensions:Height: 14.5 in (36.83 cm)Width: 59 in (149.86 cm)Depth: 59 in (149.86 cm)
- Style:Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:c 1970
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. Good vintage condition. Mechanisms function properly. Ready for immediate use. See description for more details.
- Seller Location:Los Angeles, CA
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU1330227556212
The Dutch-born Jean-Henri Jansen (1854–1928) was only in his mid-20s when he set up his Parisian design business in 1880. By the time he died, Maison Jansen had become the world’s first international decorating firm. Today, it is still regarded as one of the most notable firms and period furniture manufacturers in history, with its vintage floor lamps, tables, dressers and other furnishings remaining in demand.
Maison Jansen initially came to international prominence in 1883 when the young Jean-Henri Jansen traveled to Amsterdam to participate in the International Colonial Exposition, an event that featured presentations by 28 different nations and was attended by over a million visitors. There he exhibited as part of the French pavilion and won the silver medal. This led to two prominent new clients: King William III of the Netherlands and King Alfonso XII of Spain. Next was King Leopold II of Belgium for the interiors of the Château du Laeken, as well as commissions for Egypt’s King Farouk and Great Britain’s King Edward VII. Thanks to his participation in global expositions and fairs, Jansen expanded the renown of the firm so that its studios would reign in such major cities as London, New York, Buenos Aires, Cairo and many more.
Jansen was not only sought after for his taste but also for his custom period-inspired pieces. For example, in the Count and Countess de Revilla de Camargo’s Havana mansion, Jansen designed Louis XV–style furniture crafted from Cuban mahogany, enhancing Maison Jansen’s reputation as an expert maker. His custom furniture business was so successful that by 1900 he had opened his own atelier and employed around 700 artisans. In the 1960s, the firm, then led by Stéphane Boudin, worked with Jacqueline Kennedy on the refurbishment of rooms in the White House, including such spaces as the Queens’ Sitting Room, which featured bright blue fabric and neoclassical details.
Maison Jansen continued to produce furniture designs through the 20th century, responding to shifting tastes from Art Nouveau to Modern Regency. The atelier and studio officially closed its doors in 1989.
Automaton is the premier source for early-production originals of hard-to-find 20th-century designs and functional art, serving a range of clients, from celebrities and interior designers to aficionados with modest budgets. Its 20,000-square-foot Los Angeles space is packed with rare examples of designs from a large repertoire of such designers as Philip and Kelvin LaVerne, Vladimir Kagan, Eero Saarinen, Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, Jorge Zalszupin, Sergio Rodrigues and Giuseppe Scapinelli.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Long Beach, CA
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 14 days of delivery.
- Customized 'Paracarro' Dining Table Bases by Giovanni Offredi for Saporiti 1970sBy Giovanni Offredi, SaporitiLocated in Los Angeles, CAThis pair of customized 'Paracarro' dining table bases are originally by Giovanni Offredi for Saporiti Italia which are sculpted from concrete and chromed steel during the 1970s in I...Category
Vintage 1970s Italian Modern Dining Room TablesMaterials
Concrete, Steel, Chrome
- 'Paracarro' Concrete Dining Table by Giovanni Offredi for Saporiti Italia, 1970sBy Giovanni Offredi, SaporitiLocated in Los Angeles, CAThis sleek modern 'Paracarro' dining table by Giovanni Offredi for Saporiti Italia was sculpted from concrete and chromed steel during the 1970s in Italy. A .75" thick and 50" diameter glass top adorns this stylish table which works great for dinners, games, meetings and as a center table and suitable for indoor or outdoor applications. Great for collectors and interior designers, using...Category
Vintage 1970s Italian Modern Dining Room TablesMaterials
Concrete, Steel, Chrome
- Monumental Custom Granite and Steel Dining Table by Anthony Lumsden, 1970sLocated in Los Angeles, CAA jaw dropping monumental granite slab and steel dining table by famed Los Angeles architect Anthony Lumsden - custom designed and crafted for his Los Angeles home in the 1970s. Sleek, modern yet a subtle statement piece, partially due to its large size for such heavy materials, but also for its vibrant deep granite veining which reflects light in a shimmering fashion. The thick and large granite slab is heavy with no-doubt, the large chromed steel frame is also very heavy in its own regard - a sign of the quality materials he used. To re-create this staggering piece today would be costly and painfully difficult. Acquiring this dining table, which would also make an incredible conference table as well, is a great opportunity for a collector or architecture aficionado to own something truly unique and special - and something that will stand the test of time. ABOUT THE ARTIST: Anthony Lumsden was a famed American architect most noted for his sculptural futuristic designs with numerous projects in Southern California such as the Tillman Water Reclamation Plant, often seen in Hollywood films and television shows such as Star Trek Next Generation...Category
Vintage 1970s American Modern Dining Room TablesMaterials
Granite, Chrome, Steel
- 'Butterflies' Dining Table by Piero Fornasetti, circa 1970s Italy, SignedBy Piero FornasettiLocated in Los Angeles, CAThis pièce de résistance collectors item is the 'Farfalle' (translated to 'Butterflies') dining table by Piero Fornasetti, circa 1970s, signed underneath with its original studio label. Table height is a perfect 29.25" for dining but also ideal as a cafe, gaming or center table. Such incredible artistry, this round Fornasetti dining table is made with lithographic transfer and lacquered wood that has a white background with colorful butterfly motif and is affixed via screws to a white tulip styled base. One of my favorite aspects of this table is how some of the butterflies cascade down into the edge of the table giving a 3-dimensional effect. The top has been masterfully re-lacquered in a French Polish and looks so incredible - it looks like a sheet of water is floating above the butterflies because it is so clear, vibrant, glossy and smooth while protecting the artwork underneath for decades to come. The 'Farfalle' aka 'Butterflies' motif is documented in the book "Fornasetti, The Complete Universe". This rare piece is sought after by interior designers and collectors alike. Perfect piece to add a little splash of whimsy and intrigue into your interior decor. Contact us for more details on our collection of Fornasetti lamps, tables, bar carts, mirrors, umbrella stands and more. Photographed with the table are Robert Venturi post-modern 'Queen Anne' chairs for Knoll International and Hans Hopfer for Roche Bobois Mah Jong's in Missoni fabrics along with a Missoni Home rug...Category
Vintage 1970s Italian Mid-Century Modern Dining Room TablesMaterials
- Space Age Mirrored Cocktail Table in Chrome by Gary John Neville, circa 1970sBy Gary John NevilleLocated in Los Angeles, CAThis stylish space age chrome and mirrored cocktail table was designed by Venice, California-based architect, Gary John Neville and produced in the 1960s-1970s. Composed of a brushed spun metal chrome base and a polished chrome and mirrored top. Interior designers, this is just the statement piece you’ve been looking for. Almost giving off the appearance of a flying saucer, this chromed steel coffee table brings retro space age...Category
Vintage 1970s American Space Age Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- 'Les Lettres' Steel and Wood Letterpress Cocktail Table by Raoul W., SignedBy Raoul. W 1Located in Los Angeles, CAAn incredible statement piece which serves as functional fine art, this work was created by Raoul W in France, where he blended art and object into a large cocktail table made from h...Category
Early 2000s French Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- Fabrizio Cocchia Coclea Coffee Table in Lacquered Wood, 1971By Sormani, Fabrizio CocchiaLocated in Milan, ITThis iconic coffe table mod Coclea was designed by Fabrizio Cocchia in 1971 and manufactured by Sormani. Made out of lacquered wood and metal, it can be opened enabling levels at variable heights. Dimensions: Opened: cm 197...Category
Vintage 1970s Italian Mid-Century Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- Maison Jansen Iconic table model "Petales" in Black Lacquer France 1970By Maison JansenLocated in Paris, FRMaison Jansen, adjustable lounge table Iconic model 'Petales'. Designed in 1972. Painted high-gloss panels, chromed metal bars. The four panels are loosened by pressing buttons and m...Category
Mid-20th Century French Mid-Century Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- French Cocktail Table by Maison JansenBy Maison JansenLocated in Bridgewater, CTA low cocktail table by Maison Jansen, from circa 1940s with a mirrored top on six bronze legs accented with stylized ribbon decoration.Category
20th Century French Art Deco Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- Maison Jansen Garden Dining TableBy Maison JansenLocated in Austin, TXFrench vintage garden dining room table attributed to Maison Jansen. The structure is stylized bambou steel frame in a green tone with a cur...Category
Vintage 1950s French Mid-Century Modern Dining Room TablesMaterials
- Guy LeFevre for Maison Jansen Lacquered Cocktail Table, C 1970sBy Guy Lefevre, Maison JansenLocated in Norwalk, CTDesigned by noted designer Guy LeFevre who worked extensively with Maison Jansen in the 1970s, this table is one of his signature works. The top is wood with and features deep drawer...Category
Vintage 1970s French Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- Cocktail Table After Maison JansenBy Maison JansenLocated in Grand Rapids, MIFrance, 1960s Cocktail Table after Maison Jansen. Elegant and classic shape with hoof feet and pineapple decoration. A versatile mixed metal combination of brushed silver and brass....Category
Vintage 1960s French Hollywood Regency Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials