- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
'Coclea' Convertible Cocktail / Dining Table by Maison Jansen, c. 1970
- DimensionsHeight: 14.5 in (36.83 cm)Width: 59 in (149.86 cm)Depth: 59 in (149.86 cm)
- StyleModern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacturec 1970
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use. Good vintage condition. Mechanisms function properly. Ready for immediate use. See description for more details.
- Seller LocationLos Angeles, CA
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU1330227556212
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingShips From: Long Beach, CA
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 14 days of delivery.
About the Retailer
The Dutch-born Jean-Henri Jansen (1854–1928) was only in his mid-20s when he set up his Parisian design business in 1880. By the time he died, Maison Jansen had become the world’s first international decorating firm. Today, it is still regarded as one of the most notable firms and period furniture manufacturers in history, with its vintage floor lamps, tables, dressers and other furnishings remaining in demand.
Maison Jansen initially came to international prominence in 1883 when the young Jean-Henri Jansen traveled to Amsterdam to participate in the International Colonial Exposition, an event that featured presentations by 28 different nations and was attended by over a million visitors. There he exhibited as part of the French pavilion and won the silver medal. This led to two prominent new clients: King William III of the Netherlands and King Alfonso XII of Spain. Next was King Leopold II of Belgium for the interiors of the Château du Laeken, as well as commissions for Egypt’s King Farouk and Great Britain’s King Edward VII. Thanks to his participation in global expositions and fairs, Jansen expanded the renown of the firm so that its studios would reign in such major cities as London, New York, Buenos Aires, Cairo and many more.
Jansen was not only sought after for his taste but also for his custom period-inspired pieces. For example, in the Count and Countess de Revilla de Camargo’s Havana mansion, Jansen designed Louis XV–style furniture crafted from Cuban mahogany, enhancing Maison Jansen’s reputation as an expert maker. His custom furniture business was so successful that by 1900 he had opened his own atelier and employed around 700 artisans. In the 1960s, the firm, then led by Stéphane Boudin, worked with Jacqueline Kennedy on the refurbishment of rooms in the White House, including such spaces as the Queens’ Sitting Room, which featured bright blue fabric and neoclassical details.
Maison Jansen continued to produce furniture designs through the 20th century, responding to shifting tastes from Art Nouveau to Modern Regency. The atelier and studio officially closed its doors in 1989.
Automaton is the premier source for early-production originals of hard-to-find 20th-century designs and functional art, serving a range of clients, from celebrities and interior designers to aficionados with modest budgets. Its 20,000-square-foot Los Angeles space is packed with rare examples of designs from a large repertoire of such designers as Philip and Kelvin LaVerne, Vladimir Kagan, Eero Saarinen, Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, Jorge Zalszupin, Sergio Rodrigues and Giuseppe Scapinelli.
- Tommi Parzinger Mahogany Convertible Desk, Dining & Console Table, 1951, SignedBy Tommi Parzinger, Charak Furniture CompanyLocated in Los Angeles, CAA rare collectors item with innovative technology and design, this Tommi Parzinger for Charak Furniture Company Mahogany table crafted in circa 1951 features geometric fruitwood inla...Category
Vintage 1950s American Hollywood Regency Dining Room TablesMaterials
Fruitwood, Mahogany$10,800 Sale Price21% Off
- 'Paracarro' Concrete Dining Table by Giovanni Offredi for Saporiti Italia, 1970sBy Giovanni Offredi, SaporitiLocated in Los Angeles, CAThis sleek modern 'Paracarro' dining table by Giovanni Offredi for Saporiti Italia was sculpted from concrete and chromed steel during the 1970s in Italy. A .75" thick and 50" diamet...Category
Vintage 1970s Italian Modern Dining Room TablesMaterials
Concrete, Steel, Chrome$6,200 Sale Price26% Off
- Monumental Custom Granite and Steel Dining Table by Anthony Lumsden, 1970sLocated in Los Angeles, CAA jaw dropping monumental granite slab and steel dining table by famed Los Angeles architect Anthony Lumsden - custom designed and crafted for his Los Angeles home in the 1970s. Slee...Category
Vintage 1970s American Modern Dining Room TablesMaterials
Granite, Chrome, Steel$11,200 Sale Price20% Off
- Customized 'Paracarro' Dining Table Bases by Giovanni Offredi for Saporiti 1970sBy Saporiti, Giovanni OffrediLocated in Los Angeles, CAThis pair of customized 'Paracarro' dining table bases are originally by Giovanni Offredi for Saporiti Italia which are sculpted from concrete and chromed steel during the 1970s in I...Category
Vintage 1970s Italian Modern Dining Room TablesMaterials
Concrete, Steel, Chrome$3,300 Sale Price / item26% Off
- Space Age Mirrored Cocktail Table in Chrome by Gary John Neville, circa 1970sBy Gary John NevilleLocated in Los Angeles, CAThis stylish space age chrome and mirrored cocktail table was designed by Venice, California-based architect, Gary John Neville and produced in the 1960s-1970s. Composed of a brushed...Category
Vintage 1970s American Space Age Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
Chrome$2,900 Sale Price25% Off
- Pace Collection Brass and Glass Dining or Conference Table, circa 1970sBy Pace CollectionLocated in Los Angeles, CAThis large 1970s rectangular dining table by Pace Collection features beautiful blue glass and gleaming brass, finished with incredible detail such as the large brass screw heads whi...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room TablesMaterials
Brass$3,200 Sale Price35% Off
You May Also Like
Vintage 1970s Italian Mid-Century Modern Coffee and Cocktail Tables
20th Century French Art Deco Coffee and Cocktail Tables
Vintage 1970s French Center Tables
Vintage 1950s French Mid-Century Modern Dining Room Tables
Vintage 1960s French Hollywood Regency Coffee and Cocktail Tables
Mid-20th Century French Hollywood Regency Coffee and Cocktail Tables
Vintage 1960s French Neoclassical Coffee and Cocktail Tables
Mid-20th Century American Hollywood Regency Dining Room Tables
Vintage 1970s French Modern Dining Room Tables
Vintage 1970s French Modern Coffee and Cocktail Tables
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery