Rare Vintage Swivel Molar Coffee Table by Wendell Castle
- CreatorWendell Castle (Designer)
- Production timeAvailable Now
- Of the Period
- Place of origin
- Date of manufacture1969
- Materials and techniquesFiberglass, Rubber
- Condition DetailsFine vintage condition with a few light scuffs and scratches along base and age appropriate use wear. Original rubber floor ring.
- WearWear consistent with age and use.
H 22.5 in. x W 39 in. x D 34 in.
H 57.15 cm x W 99.06 cm x D 86.36 cm
- Seller locationNorth Miami, FL
- Reference numberLU90451831402
Shipping, Returns & Payment
About Wendell Castle (Designer)
Wendell Castle was an American furniture maker celebrated for his experimental creations in wood and plastic. He was one of the first to create seating, lighting and tables that resemble sculpture, otherwise known as art furniture. A founding father of the American Studio movement , Castle was known for his craftsmanship and broke new ground in the 1960s with the stack-laminate technique, which involves layering and then sanding thin sheets of wood. In the ’70s, he transitioned to using gel-coated plastic in bright colors.
Castle integrated both mediums in his designs from the 2000s, which, like his vintage pieces, are characterized by curved, biomorphic lines and whimsical undertones. Ever the innovator, he integrated computers and robots in his later production process to come up with wildly imaginative forms. Castle was working on a new body of work when he passed away in 2018 at the age of 85. Read more about Wendell Castle in Introspective magazine