- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Luigi Caccia Dominioni Folding Desk for Villa Mazzotti, Italy 1946
About the Item
- Creator:Azucena (Manufacturer),Luigi Caccia Dominioni (Designer)
- Dimensions:Height: 30.95 in (78.6 cm)Width: 47.76 in (121.3 cm)Depth: 26.38 in (67 cm)
- Style:Mid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1940s
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:Milan, IT
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU952732392612
Luigi Caccia Dominioni
To join the centenarian club is a remarkable feat in itself, but to live for over a century and leave a lasting impact on the world of Italian mid-century modern furniture design — just as pioneering industrial designer and architect Luigi Caccia Dominioni had — is extraordinary. His vintage table lamps, coffee tables, chairs and other furnishings are demonstrative of exemplary technique, theory and quality workmanship — all characteristics of the Milanese designer’s signature style.
Caccia Dominioni graduated from Milan’s oldest university, the Polytechnic University of Milan, in 1936. A leading center for design innovation during the first half of the 20th century, the institution’s alumni includes notable Italian architects and designers such as Gio Ponti, Vittoriano Vigano and brothers Livio and Pier Giacomo Castiglioni. In 1937, the Castiglioni brothers and Caccia Dominioni opened a multi-award winning studio together and presented groundbreaking designs for radios in Bakelite shells at the 1940 Milan Triennial.
The Second World War forced Caccia Dominioni to pause his professional ambitions in order to serve in the Italian military, and the postwar years saw much of his most esteemed designs take shape. In 1947, alongside Ignazio Gardella and Corrado Corradi Dell’Acqua, Caccia Dominioni founded the furniture manufacturing company Azucena, where he designed iconic pieces such as the Catalina chair and a range of lighting that includes the Lp10 wall light, the Lsp3 wall light and the Lsp6 flush mount light.
Like a fine Italian wine, Caccia Dominioni got even better with time. He collaborated with the likes of Olivari and Lualdi well into his 80s, debuting legendary pieces such as the C.d.o. chair and the Super door. And while many of his celebrated architectural works materialized during the 1950s and 1960s — such as the Teatro Filodrammatici and the Galleria Strasburgo — one of Caccia Dominioni’s best known structures, the fountain in Milan’s Piazza San Babila, was built near the end of 20th century when the designer was 83 years old.
Caccia Dominioni was a winner of the Compasso d’Oro, one of the oldest and most prestigious awards in the design industry. When he died at 103 in 2016, he left behind an exceptional legacy of furniture design and architectural innovations.
Find vintage Luigi Caccia Dominioni chandeliers and pendants, floor lamps, armchairs and other furniture on 1stDibs.
Vintage Azucena furniture is elegant and inviting — the esteemed mid-century Milanese manufacturer’s wall lights, armchairs and side tables, which are marked by simple symmetry and thoughtfully contrasting materials, can likely be found in the living rooms of design lovers all over Italy.
Azucena was founded in 1947 by three leading figures of 20th-century Italian architecture: Luigi Caccia Dominioni, Ignazio Gardella and Corrado Corradi Dell’Acqua. The trio initially established Azucena in order to furnish the interiors of buildings they’d designed but found a robust business opportunity in manufacturing individual pieces from those collections for postwar consumers. And as the company founders borrowed the brand name from a conniving character in the Giuseppe Verd opera Il Trovatore, it is appropriate, then, that the furniture for which Azucena is known is practical but exudes a hint of playfulness.
The best of Italian modernism combines cheekiness and bold functionality with provocative and thoughtful design, and Azucena is deeply rooted in that tradition. While its brass-and-walnut mid-century-modern-era dining tables and stackable coffee tables — created by the likes of Dell’Acqua and Vico Magistretti — are exceptionally unobtrusive in small spaces and framed in clean lines, Dominioni designed chunky, enveloping armchairs during the 1970s upholstered in striking red fabric.
Among Azucena's most successful and iconic designs is also Dominioni's most famous piece of furniture: the minimalist Catalina chair. After it debuted at the Milan Triennial in 1957, the Catalina chair, with its generously curving enameled steel frame and plush leather cushion, became an instant sensation. Dominioni’s other enduring designs for Azucena include the Monachella lamp, the ABCD armchair and the versatile Cilindro ottoman.
Italian furniture manufacturer B&B Italia acquired Azucena in 2018 and has reissued a number of designs from the legendary brand’s portfolio, such as the Imbuto lamp, the Catalina armchair and the Cavalletto table.
On 1stDibs, find vintage Azucena lighting, tables, seating and more.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Milan, Italy
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 7 days of delivery.
- Luigi Caccia Dominioni Coat Rack for Azucena, Italy, 1950sBy Luigi Caccia Dominioni, AzucenaLocated in Milan, ITLuigi Caccia Dominioni coat rack for Azucena, Italy, 1950s.Category
Vintage 1950s Italian Mid-Century Modern Coat Racks and StandsMaterials
- Luigi Caccia Dominioni LS2 Pendant Lamp for Azucena, Italy, 1952By Azucena, Luigi Caccia DominioniLocated in Milan, ITLuigi Caccia Dominioni LS2 pendant lamp for Azucena, Italy, 1952.Category
Vintage 1950s Italian Mid-Century Modern Chandeliers and PendantsMaterials
- Side Table T9 by Luigi Caccia Dominioni for Azucena, Italy, 1950sBy Azucena, Luigi Caccia DominioniLocated in Milan, ITSide table T9 by Luigi Caccia Dominioni for Azucena, Italy, 1950s.Category
Vintage 1950s Italian Mid-Century Modern Side TablesMaterials
- Monumental Luigi Caccia Dominioni Brass Umbrella Stand for Azucena, Italy, 1949By Azucena, Luigi Caccia DominioniLocated in Milan, ITMonumental Luigi Caccia Dominioni brass umbrella stand for Azucena, Italy, 1949 Reference: Domus No. 239 October 1949.Category
Vintage 1940s Italian Mid-Century Modern Umbrella StandsMaterials
- Arch. Luigi Caccia Dominioni LTE10 'Pallone' floor lamp for AzucenaBy Azucena, Luigi Caccia DominioniLocated in Milan, ITArch. Luigi Caccia Dominioni LTE10 'Pallone' floor lamp for AzucenaCategory
Vintage 1960s Italian Mid-Century Modern Floor LampsMaterials
- Set of Four Pairs of Luigi Caccia Dominioni Door Handles for Azucena, Italy 1950By Azucena, Luigi Caccia DominioniLocated in Milan, ITRare set of four pairs of Luigi Caccia Dominioni door handles in brass and resin for Azucena, Italy, 1950s This is an Iconic design by The Italian Design Master Luigi Caccia Dominio...Category
Vintage 1950s Italian Mid-Century Modern Doors and GatesMaterials
- Industrial Machine Age Aluminum Church Truck GurneyLocated in Brooklyn, NYIndustrial, machine-age, aluminum, accordion base, church truck, gurney expands to 33in x 18in x 20.5in height to make a wonderful coffee table base. T...Category
Mid-20th Century American Industrial Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- EM Desk by DUVALD Contemporary Vanity Desk Handcrafted in Denmark. Mirror.By Örn Duvald, DUVALDLocated in Gentofte, DKEM Desk manifests a unique design language and functionality, combining in one desk both work and vanity with an elegant and soft aesthetic expression. This exclusive hand crafted pi...Category
2010s Danish Scandinavian Modern Desks and Writing TablesMaterials
- Vintage Pair of Italian Brass and Glass Folding Side Table with Sandaled FeetLocated in Atlanta, GAA pair of 1960s Italian brass and glass folding side tables with cast brass hands and sandaled feet. Each of this pair of Italian Mid-Century Modern side tables features a 0.25" thic...Category
Mid-20th Century Italian Mid-Century Modern Side TablesMaterials
- Pair of Triangular Mathieu Matégot Tables for Artimeta, 1950sBy Mathieu Matégot, ArtimetaLocated in Echt, NLBeautiful pair of Mathieu Matégot tables in good condition. Manufactured by Artimeta in the 1950s Perforated metal top and frame lacquer...Category
20th Century Dutch Mid-Century Modern End TablesMaterials
- Brushed Aluminum Folding Tray Table by Mary Wright for Everlast Metal ProductsBy Mary Wright, Everlast Metal Products CorporationLocated in Brooklyn, NYHollywood Regency, hand-wrought, bar tray table produced by Everlast Metal Products Corp. features folding table base and removable tray with fo...Category
Vintage 1940s American Hollywood Regency Tray TablesMaterials
- Friso Kramer 'Reform' Table or Desk with Reclaimed Rustic Oak TopBy Friso Kramer, Ahrend de CirkelLocated in bergen op zoom, NLA reclaimed vintage rustic solid oak top has been mounted on a Friso Kramer 'Reform' table frame The Reform table was designed by Friso Kramer for Ahrend/De Cirkel to match with ...Category
Vintage 1950s Dutch Mid-Century Modern Desks and Writing TablesMaterials
- Custom 1950s Wall Mounted Modernist Writing DeskLocated in San Diego, CAUnique handmade custom wall-mounted writing desk made in the 1950s. Solid birch construction with patinated brass accents and a smooth black laminate desk surface that folds up when ...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Desks
- Everlast Folding Aluminium TrayBy Mary WrightLocated in St.Petersburg, FLAn unusual serving tray with folding legs. Manufactured by Everlast, circa 1940s with "Fallen Leaves" design by Mary Wright. A Hollywood Regency and Art Deco or Industrial style.Category
Vintage 1940s American Hollywood Regency Tray Tables
- Italian Rococo Style Venetian Painted Folding Writing DeskLocated in Firenze, ITThis lovely petite Italian Louis XV style slant-top writing desk is entirely decorated with hand painted lacquer featuring genre scenes, floral paintings and putto so fashionable dur...Category
Early 20th Century Italian Rococo Desks and Writing TablesMaterials
- Italian Faux Ivory and Brass Folding Tray Table by Tommaso BarbiBy Tommaso BarbiLocated in Baambrugge, NLItalian faux ivory folding tray table with brass details and smoked glass top, by Tommaso Barby for Bonci Florence, 1960s. Measures: L 58 x W 40 x H 59 cm.Category
Mid-20th Century Italian Mid-Century Modern Tray TablesMaterials
- Luigi Caccia Dominioni SCR7 Writing Desk, 1979By Azucena, Luigi Caccia DominioniLocated in Chicago, ILLuigi Caccia Dominioni SCR7 Writing Desk, 1979 for Azucena, Italy Black lacquered wood, 2 drawers with finger pulls, chrome-plated metal support with exposed details on sides.. Edit...Category
Vintage 1970s Italian Mid-Century Modern Desks and Writing TablesMaterials
- Elegant Luigi Caccia Dominioni DeskBy Luigi Caccia DominioniLocated in Berlin, DERare and elegant Dominioni desk in unusual, oval shape. Luigi Caccia Dominioni (b. December 7, 1913 in Milan; † November 13, 2016) was an Italian architect, designer and urban pla...Category
Vintage 1960s Mid-Century Modern Desks and Writing TablesMaterials
- Luigi Caccia Dominioni Round Table for Azucena, Italy, 1970sBy Azucena, Luigi Caccia DominioniLocated in London, GBLuigi Caccia Dominioni was a Milanese architect and a leading pioneer in industrial design. He made this round table for his own company (Azucena) in 1970 and it typifies the brand’s...Category
Vintage 1970s Italian Modern Dining Room TablesMaterials
Iron$3,037 Sale Price29% Off
- Vintage Wood and Brass T3 Cavalletto Table by Caccia Dominioni for Azucena 1950sBy Azucena, Luigi Caccia DominioniLocated in Varese, LombardiaThis rare and iconic table was designed by Caccia Dominioni in 1947 and produced by Azucena. It features a golden brass folding structure with an elegant and thin wooden table top. I...Category
Vintage 1950s Italian Mid-Century Modern Dining Room TablesMaterials
- Luigi Caccia Dominioni Italian Midcentuty Brass Wood Cart Table for Azucena 1955By Luigi Caccia Dominioni, AzucenaLocated in Reggio Emilia, ITItalian Mid-Century Modern design coffe table or bar cart with wheels designed by Luigin Caccia Dominioni and produced by Azucena with wood tops and brass structure, Italy, 1955 P...Category
Antique 1650s Italian Mid-Century Modern Carts and Bar CartsMaterials
- "Fasce Cromate" Game Table by Luigi Caccia Dominioni for AzucenaBy Luigi Caccia Dominioni, AzucenaLocated in Milan, IT"Fasce Cromate" T10 table by Luigi Caccia Dominioni for Azucena. Red cloth central top invites to use it as a desk or a games table. Two pieces avai...Category
Vintage 1950s Italian TablesMaterials
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery