- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Pierre Guariche Metal and wood Square French Mid-Century Side Table
About the Item
- Creator:Pierre Guariche (Designer)
- Dimensions:Height: 14.18 in (36 cm)Width: 15.36 in (39 cm)Depth: 15.36 in (39 cm)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1950
- Seller Location:Barcelona, ES
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU2374314585771
The architect Pierre Guariche was one of the leading modern furniture and lighting designers of postwar France. Guariche can, in some ways, be thought of as the French version of Charles Eames: with his lean and angular chairs and slender, sculptural table lamps, he helped introduce a new aesthetic to the country’s interiors — and he was an eager pioneer in the use of new industrial materials and production techniques that emerged in the 1950s.
Guariche studied at the École Nationale Supérieure des Arts Décoratifs in Paris (the national design academy) under René Gabriel — a designer known for his quality, mass-produced furnishings, who served as a director of the postwar Ministry of Reconstruction. Two years after graduating in 1949, Guariche opened his own design firm, and he was soon creating pieces for numerous companies, including the lighting manufacturer Disderot.
Wood and metal were rationed in the years following the war and Guariche learned to do more with less. His chairs of the early 1950s include several designs with narrow, softly angular wooden frames; others, like the Tonneau chair, feature a single piece of molded plywood set atop metal legs. His lamps of the period are likely his best-known works. They include delicate compositions of slender steel tubes, and more flamboyant pieces such as the Kite lamp, with its curved metal reflector panel.
Always on the lookout for new materials, Guariche spent several years in the mid-1950s operating a firm making furniture in fiberglass and other plastics, along with Joseph André Motte and others. After 1957 — when Guariche was named head of design for the Belgian company Meurop and given a brief to create stylish, up-to-date chairs and cabinets — he began to look to America for ideas.
In the mid-1960s, Guariche produced several lines of deeply upholstered, rounded lounge chairs inspired by the Space Age look, and gave them names like Jupiter, Polaris and Luna. While Guariche always kept pace with his times, throughout his career he showed a consistent talent for producing elegant, eye-catching forms using a minimum of materials.
Find vintage Pierre Guariche furniture today on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Casavells , Spain
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.
- Pierre Paulin, Pair of Side Tables, France, 1960By Pierre PaulinLocated in Barcelona, ESPierre Paulin Pair of side tables Manufactured by Artifort France, 1960 Upholstery, formica Measurements 40 cm x 40 cm x 32.39 H cm 15.75 in x 15.75 in x 12.75 H in ...Category
Vintage 1960s French Side TablesMaterials
Formica, Upholstery$5,516 / set
- Jose Zanine Caldas Mid-century modern Brazilian Side Table marine plywood 1950By José Zanine CaldasLocated in Barcelona, ESJose Zanine de Caldas (1919-2001). Side table. Manufactured by Mòveis Artísticos Z, Brazil, 1950. Marine plywood. Measuremenents: 70 cm x 46...Category
Mid-20th Century Brazilian Mid-Century Modern Side TablesMaterials
- Franco Albini Mid-century Italian Oak round Side Table Model TN6 "Cicognino"By Franco Albini, PoggiLocated in Barcelona, ESFranco Albini (1905-1977) Round Side table model TN6 “Cicognino” Manufactured by Poggi Italy, 1952 Oak Measurements: 40 cm diameter x 80 cm height 15.7 in diameter x 31.4 in height...Category
Mid-20th Century Italian Mid-Century Modern Side TablesMaterials
- Sabine Marcelis Pink Resin Candy Cube Contemporary Square Side Table, RotterdamBy Sabine MarcelisLocated in Barcelona, ESSabine Marcelis Candy Cubes series Manufactured by Studio Sabine Marcelis Rotterdam, 2017 High polished single cast resin Measurements 50 cm x 50 cm x ...Category
2010s Dutch Modern Side TablesMaterials
- Faye Toogood Roly Poly Side Table, Wood, London, 2019, Contemporary TablesBy Faye ToogoodLocated in Barcelona, ESFaye Toogood Roly Poly side table Manufactured by Faye Toogood London, 2019 Engineered wood, soft touch lacquer Measurements 40 cm x 35 cm...Category
21st Century and Contemporary European Side TablesMaterials
- Contemporary Industrial Side Table, Patinated Waxed Steel-Metal, Johan ViladrichBy Johan ViladrichLocated in Barcelona, ESSide Table model “ST02” Manufactured by Johan Viladrich Montpellier, 2023. Patinated and Waxed Steel. Measurements 43 x 41x 65h cm 16,9 x 16,1 x 25,6h in Exhibitions Casa...Category
2010s French Side TablesMaterials
- French Atomic Side Table Style Mathieu Mategot and Pierre Guariche 1950s FranceBy Mathieu Matégot, Pierre GuaricheLocated in National City, CASide table French sculptural side Accent atomic Triangle table in the style of Mathieu Mategot and Pierre Guariche 1950s Made in France. Metal table with sculptural shape. Trian...Category
Vintage 1950s French Mid-Century Modern Side TablesMaterials
- French Mid-Century Gilt Metal Side Table with Square Glass Top and Cabriole LegsLocated in Atlanta, GAA vintage French gilt metal side table from the mid-20th century, with glass top and cabriole legs. Created in France during the mid-century period, this gilt metal side table featur...Category
Mid-20th Century French Mid-Century Modern Side TablesMaterials
- French Mid-Century Square Églomisé and Giltwood End / Side TableLocated in New York, NYFrench mid-century square side / end table with églomisé mirrored top and apron with giltwood trim and antique mirrored legs.Category
20th Century Mid-Century Modern Side TablesMaterials
- Mid-Century Modern Square Steel Brass Side Table, France, 1970Located in Madrid, ESSide table with chromed steel and brass structure. Smoked glass envelope.Category
Vintage 1970s French Mid-Century Modern Side TablesMaterials
Brass, Chrome$547 Sale Price20% Off
- Andy Wood and Metal Side TableBy VG-VGnewtrendLocated in Milan, ITThis exquisite side table is contemporary and elegant and will be a splendid addition to a living room or even a bed room, as a nightstand. The round base and slender central leg are...Category
2010s Italian Modern Side TablesMaterials
Steel$965 / item
- "Essex" Wood and Metal Side TableBy VermeilLocated in Sao Paulo, SPWood and metal side table.Category
2010s Brazilian Organic Modern Side TablesMaterials
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery