- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Kai Kristiansen for Aksel Kjersgaard Teak Vanity with Folding Mirror
- DimensionsHeight: 26.75 in. (67.95 cm)Width: 46.5 in. (118.11 cm)Depth: 17 in. (43.18 cm)
- StyleScandinavian Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1960
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use. 46.375"W x 17"deep x 26.75"H.
- Seller LocationLos Angeles, CA
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU1374214881022
Shipping & Returns
- Shipping$599 In-Home Delivery Shippingto United States 0, arrives in 3-8 weeks. We recommend this shipping type based on item size, type and fragility.Delivered by appointment to the room of your choice.Ships From: los angeles , CA
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
About the Designer
With a passion for math and engineering, Kai Kristiansen has created high-quality wood furniture for decades. Beginning in the 1950s, his chairs, modular shelving and other furnishings were made in the style that would become internationally renowned as Danish modern and boasted clean lines, perfected functionality and exacting craftsmanship.
Born in Denmark, Kristiansen trained in cabinetmaking before studying with Kaare Klint, often cited as the “father of modern Danish design,” at the Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts in Copenhagen. At just 26 years old, Kristiansen opened his own studio.
Kristiansen had his mid-century breakthrough in 1956 with the Chair #42, which he made with Schou Andersen. Unlike most other chairs at the time, Chair #42’s armrests, with their wealth of radical angles, were connected to the back rather than the front legs. This unconventional flourish makes the backrest appear as though it is floating in midair above the seat. Kristiansen’s next innovation was a modular wall system in 1957 — three years ahead of Dieter Rams’s more famous 606 Universal Shelving System. Called the Reolsystem Wall Unit, produced by SB Feldballes Møbelfabrik, it’s also known as the FM Wall Unit as FM/Fornem Møbelkunst began producing it in the 1960s. Kristiansen would go on to work with other leading Danish furniture manufacturers such as Magnus Olesen, Fritz Hansen and Vildbjerg Møbelfabrik, designing everything from chairs and desks to sideboards and cabinets, frequently in rosewood and teak. (The latter was a sought-after wood by Scandinavian modern designers.)
While many of Kristiansen’s timeless designs remain in production, such as his Paper Knife sofa, which was reintroduced by Miyazaki Chair Factory in 2008, and his 1950s Entré collection, which was relaunched with Great Dane Furniture in 2016, others are prized as vintage mid-century pieces. Today, Kristiansen is still at work on new furniture with an expert eye to thoughtfully functional designs that are made to last.
Find a collection of vintage Kai Kristiansen furniture on 1stDibs.
- By Kai KristiansenLocated in Los Angeles, CARosewood square/cube nesting tables - each 'nesting table' contains three rosewood tables that fit into each oth...Category
Vintage 1970s Danish Scandinavian Modern Nesting Tables and Stacking TablesMaterials
- Located in Los Angeles, CAThis is a beautiful and rare teak four-panel folding screen from Denmark, circa 1950. Made from hand formed sol...Category
Vintage 1950s Danish Scandinavian Modern Screens and Room DividersMaterials
- Located in Los Angeles, CAThis is a great leather sling and danish turned teak legs. Leather and wood are in great vintage condition. Rec...Category
Vintage 1960s Danish Scandinavian Modern StoolsMaterials
- By Dux of Sweden, Folke OhlssonLocated in Los Angeles, CAA pair of teak Mid-Century Modern tables designed by Folke Ohlsson and made by DUX. Each table is in great condi...Category
Mid-20th Century Danish Scandinavian Modern End TablesMaterials
You May Also Like
Vintage 1970s Danish Mid-Century Modern Coffee and Cocktail Tables
Vintage 1950s Danish Scandinavian Modern Desks and Writing Tables
Vintage 1950s Danish Scandinavian Modern Vanities
Vintage 1960s Danish Mid-Century Modern Coffee and Cocktail Tables
Vintage 1960s Danish Mid-Century Modern Sofa Tables
Vintage 1950s Danish Mid-Century Modern Side Tables
Vintage 1960s Danish Scandinavian Modern Side Tables
Vintage 1950s Danish Scandinavian Modern Side Tables
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Insured Global Delivery