- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Alberto Giacometti 'Annette De Face' Etching, 1955
- CreatorAlberto Giacometti (Artist)
- DimensionsHeight: 19.94 in. (50.65 cm)Width: 14.75 in. (37.47 cm)Depth: .25 in. (6.35 mm)
- StyleMid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1955
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use. not inspected out of the frame.
- Seller LocationLos Angeles, CA
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU848719080132
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingShips From: Los Angeles, CA
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 14 days of delivery.
About the Artist
Alberto Giacometti was a painter, printmaker and furniture designer but he is best known as one of the 20th century’s most important sculptors. He is revered for the elongated, slender human figures he created in the years following World War II that reflected existentialism and the trauma associated with the conflict.
Giacometti was born in Borgonovo, Switzerland, in 1901 to a creative family. His father Giovanni was a Post-Impressionist painter, his godfather Cuno Amiet was a Fauvist painter, his brother Bruno was an architect, and his other brother Diego was an artist and furniture designer who also served as Giacometti’s model. (The sculptor worked chiefly with models plucked from his personal life.)
Beginning in 1922, Giacometti studied at the Académie de la Grande-Chaumière in Paris and was influenced by the Cubist work of Alexander Archipenko, Raymond Duchamp-Villon and the post-Cubist sculptures of Jacques Lipchitz and Henri Laurens.
During the 1930s, Giacometti designed furniture such as lamps, vases and wall décor to earn a living, often collaborating with interior designer Jean-Michel Frank, whose interiors tastefully mixed extravagance with sophisticated simplicity. However, Giacometti’s passion lay in creating sculptures.
Alberto and his brother Diego left Paris in 1940 to escape the Nazi invasion and spent time in the South of France before fleeing to Geneva, remaining there until 1946. In 1947, Giacometti began work on his most famous sculptures — very tall and thin figurines that came to be associated with frailty and loneliness.
Giacometti catapulted to fame in the United States following two exhibitions of his sculptures in 1948 and 1950 at the Pierre Matisse Gallery in New York City — Jean-Paul Sartre authored the catalogue essay for the latter. In 1961, Giacometti’s friend, Irish playwright Samuel Beckett, asked him to design the set for a re-staging of his play “Waiting for Godot.” His response took on the form of a single plaster tree.
In 1962, Giacometti won the grand prize for sculpture at the Venice Biennale, and for much of the rest of his career, he created modern paintings, drawings and sculptures of plaster, clay and bronze in his small Paris studio. He died in 1966.
Giacometti’s works continue to enthrall collectors. In 2010, his life-size bronze sculpture L'Homme qui marche (“the man who walks”), which now adorns the 100 Swiss Franc banknote, became one of the most expensive sculptures to be sold at auction.
On 1stDibs, discover a range of vintage Alberto Giacometti wall decorations, prints and sculptures.
- By Karl Heinz Hansen-BahiaLocated in Los Angeles, CAwonderful wood cut print 'Big Team of Oxen' by Karl Heinz Hansen-Bahia, 1959, framed behind glass, print size 12...Category
Vintage 1950s German Mid-Century Modern PrintsMaterials
Glass, Wood, Paper
- By Guenther UeckerLocated in Los Angeles, CAWonderful limited edition, framed offset lithography on handmade paper by German sculptor, op artist and install...Category
Early 2000s German Post-Modern PrintsMaterials
- By Guenther UeckerLocated in Los Angeles, CAWonderful part two of a set of offset lithographies on handmade paper by German sculptor, op artist and installa...Category
Early 2000s German Modern PrintsMaterials
- By Ilmari Tapiovaara, Laukaan PuuLocated in Los Angeles, CAWonderful stools designed by Ilmari Tapiovaara for Laukaan Puu, Finland 1955 in pinewood and black lacquered dow...Category
Vintage 1960s Finnish Scandinavian Modern StoolsMaterials
Pine$1,300 / item
You May Also Like
Vintage 1960s French Modern Drawings
Vintage 1960s French Mid-Century Modern Prints
20th Century French Renaissance Prints
20th Century French Renaissance Prints
20th Century Posters
Vintage 1950s Italian Mid-Century Modern Prints
20th Century Mid-Century Modern Prints
Mid-20th Century Prints
Vintage 1980s Modern Prints
Antique Early 19th Century Italian Neoclassical Prints
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Insured Global Delivery