Ciner Modernist Earrings
About the Item
What defines “fine” jewelry? For many aficionados, there’s a clear line separating the golden wheat from the gilded chaff. But the handcrafted pieces made by Ciner, a 128-year-old costume jewelry house with a glittering past to rival some of the hautest high jewelers, call into question our notions of what constitutes preciousness.
Much of the Ciner’s allure can be traced to its origins in fine jewelry. Emanuel Ciner, an Austrian immigrant, founded the firm in Manhattan in 1892, crafting pieces from the traditional precious gems, gold and platinum. But World War I and the Great Depression caused purse strings to tighten and materials to become scarce. Rather than try to weather the economic downturn, which shuttered many other American jewelers, Ciner made the risky transition from fine jewelry to costume (or fashion) jewelry — virtually uncharted territory.
Emanuel Ciner’s sons, Irwin and Charles, introduced an array of innovations — rubber casting molds, which are especially durable and produce higher quality results, and white metal alloys, which affordably mimic the look of more precious materials — that would become the standard for costume jewelry. During World War II, Ciner’s advanced molding technology was utilized by the U.S. military to produce munitions and tools. This arrangement gave the firm access to the heavily rationed metals it needed for its jewels, enabling it again to endure conditions that drove others into bankruptcy.
The company hit its stride in the 1960s, when its jewelry was sold at some of the country’s toniest stores, even garnering an Andy Warhol–illustrated ad for Bonwit Teller. Its pieces were worn by the era’s brightest stars. In the famous 1957 Joe Shere photo of Sophia Loren sneering at Jayne Mansfield’s décolletage, Mansfield is resplendent in shoulder-grazing Ciner earrings.
Ciner is unique among costume jewelers in that its pieces aren’t imitations — they are coveted in their own right. Elizabeth Taylor, a voracious jewelry collector with a taste for the very finest, was a longtime client. Several suites of Ciner jewels were included in the 2011 Christie’s sale of Taylor’s collection, with one group of rhinestone-studded ear clips and a bracelet fetching $15,600 — more than 100 times the auction estimate. It’s a reminder of a time, not so long ago, when women of great style wore fine and costume jewelry with equal aplomb, often at the same time.
Today, Ciner — now run by Emanuel Ciner’s granddaughter Pat Ciner Hill and great-granddaughter Jean Hill — continues to adhere to the same exacting production specifications. It is the only jewelry house in New York, and likely the United States, that manufactures all its pieces entirely in-house. Each begins with dozens of elements that are cast in rubber molds and then individually filed and polished, plated in a particularly thick layer of 18-karat gold or rhodium, assembled on the bench and painted with enamel or set with stones. Every step is performed by hand by craftsmen, many of whom have been with the company for more than 30 years.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: New York, NY
- Return PolicyThis item cannot be returned.
- Louis Rousselet Jade Pate de Verre EarclipsBy Louis RousseletLocated in New York, NYRare Rousselet unusual jade pate de verre earclips circa 1940 composed of handmade round and tube art glass beads. Louis Rousselet (1892-1980) was born in Paris and apprenticed at ...Category
Vintage 1940s French Artisan Clip-on EarringsMaterials
14k Gold, Gold Plate, Brass, Bronze, Gilt MetalFree Shipping
- Miriam Haskell Crystal Flower EarringsBy Miriam HaskellLocated in New York, NYPretty Miriam Haskell Crystal Flower Earrings from the 1930's with a faceted emerald bead. Hand sewn rose montees are sewn onto Russian gilt metal floral motifs. Early horseshoe mark...Category
Vintage 1930s American Clip-on EarringsMaterials
Gilt MetalFree Shipping
- Dramatic Feather and Paste Clip EarringsLocated in New York, NYDramatic Feather and Paste Clip Earrings from the 1980's when the hot glue gun reined supreme. Exotic feathers are hand set with pink and clear crystals with a paste swirl and jet ca...Category
Vintage 1980s American Artisan Clip-on EarringsMaterials
- Vendome Beaded Pear SuiteLocated in New York, NYUnusual hand beaded "Pear" suite by Vendome. High domed gilt findings are wired with rows of amber seed beads and accented with enamel leaves. Clip back fittings on earrings. 1950's ...Category
Vintage 1950s American Clip-on EarringsMaterials
Gilt MetalFree Shipping
- Maz Mabe Pearl and Onyx EarringsBy MazLocated in New York, NYElegant Maz Mabe Pearl and Onyx Earrings in 14k gold with clip back fittings. 1980's USA. 1.15" across. Signed MAZ.Category
Vintage 1980s American Clip-on EarringsMaterials
Onyx, Pearl, 14k GoldFree Shipping
- Chanel Poured Glass Emerald EarringsBy ChanelLocated in New York, NYChanel clip earrings with large faux emerald cabochon surrounded by 4 ruby cabochons in a gilt metal setting. 1". France 1970's. Excellent cond...Category
Vintage 1980s French Clip-on EarringsFree Shipping
- 18K White Gold Blue Sapphire Starfish on the Rocks Clip-on EarringsBy Valentin MagroLocated in New York, NYInspired by the coastal scene, the whimsical design of a starfish resting on a rock comes to life. Glistering blue sapphires serve as the rock and provide the rocky texture and the c...Category
Early 2000s American Clip-on EarringsMaterials
Sapphire, Blue Sapphire, Gold, 18k Gold, White Gold
- Blue Sapphire Diamond 18K Yellow Gold Viva El Sol EarringsBy Valentin MagroLocated in New York, NYDiamonds and sapphires join gold for festive radiance. In the center of the design are 3 brilliant cut diamonds encrusted in 18k yellow gold. 5 curved beams of sapphires pave set in ...Category
Early 2000s American Modern Clip-on EarringsMaterials
Diamond, Blue Sapphire, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold, Gold
- 18K Yellow Gold Textured Double Swirl Clip-on EarringsBy Valentin MagroLocated in New York, NYLight reflects many ways from these earrings. The body is made of 18k yellow gold curled tight. Down the center are many tiny indents, creating a softer sheen. On either side is a ti...Category
2010s American Clip-on EarringsMaterials
18k Gold, Yellow Gold
- Platinum and 18K Yellow Gold Diamond Ribbon Pearl EarringsBy Valentin MagroLocated in New York, NYDiamonds make these ribbon earrings glint at every angle. 2 platinum V-cut ribbons furnished with brilliant cut diamonds intertwine with each other. In the V on each end of the ribbo...Category
2010s American Clip-on EarringsMaterials
White Diamond, Diamond, Pearl, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold, Gold, Platinum
- Cabochon Blue Agate Tic Tac Toe 18K Yellow Gold Clip-on EarringsBy Valentin MagroLocated in New York, NYGleaming blue agate is amplified by gold. A cushion-shaped cabochon of the gem is the base. Sleek 18k yellow gold bars overlap in a tic-tac-toe pattern, while also giving the illusio...Category
2010s American Modern Clip-on EarringsMaterials
Agate, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold, Gold
- Oval Cascading Chandelier 18K Yellow and White Gold Diamond EarringsBy Valentin MagroLocated in New York, NYLayers of luminous 18k yellow gold ovals and brilliant cut diamonds form hoop earrings. A total of 190 brilliant cut diamonds embellish the design, weighing 1.49 carats, beginning wi...Category
2010s American Dangle EarringsMaterials
Diamond, Gold, Yellow Gold, 18k Gold, White Gold