- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Kenneth Jay Lane "Lucky Clover" Faux Diamonds Encrusted Pendant
About the Item
Kenneth Jay Lane
The father of so-called “fabulous fakes,” Kenneth Jay Lane was a spirited innovator within the jewelry industry, designing elegant and luxurious pieces without the use of real jewels. And while Lane aspired to create classic designs for earrings, bracelets and necklaces intended for everyday wear, his pieces caught the attention of celebrities, royalty and socialites.
From a young age, the Detroit, Michigan-born Lane was a lover of fashion. He studied at the Rhode Island School of Design and the University of Michigan. He pursued a design career in New York City, and a failed start in the art department of Vogue magazine led to a decade of designing shoes for the likes of Delman and Christian Dior.
Lane would occasionally develop shoe designs for friends he had in the fashion world such as Bill Blass and Arnold Scaasi. A show for the latter afforded him the opportunity to beautify shoes with rhinestones and create bangles and earrings to pair with the footwear — he found plastic bracelets at discount variety store and had them embellished by craftspeople at a shoe factory.
A love for costume jewelry design emerged thereafter. Lane created his own collection and admirers such as Jackie Kennedy and Elizabeth Taylor showered him with praise. A pearl necklace he designed was worn by Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany’s. In the early 1960s, ready-to-wear pioneer Hattie Carnegie purchased Lane’s jewelry line. Lane was given the position of design director for Carnegie but he soon changed course, moving instead into a small studio and pursuing his own path.
Lane worked with milk glass, gilded silver hardware, faux coral and other materials, and sold pendant necklaces, dangle earrings and modern bracelets to private customers. He was fond of renowned fine jewelry houses Cartier and Van Cleef & Arpels and designers such as Jean Schlumberger, and cited having found inspiration in Egyptian and Indian jewelry over the years as well as Art Deco jewelry. Lane’s designs, which he called “faque” and “junque,” became well-known for their distinctive color combinations and clever characteristics such as embroidery. By the time he purchased a small jewelry factory in Providence, Rhode Island, where his accessories would be made during the 1960s, Lane had secured relationships with top Manhattan boutiques and his work had caught the attention of fashion magazines.
Directed by the filmmaker Gisèle Roman, a 2018 documentary about Lane’s life and work called Fabulously Fake: The Real Life of Kenneth Jay Lane features interviews with legendary fashion designers Carolina Herrera, Tory Burch and Diane von Furstenberg.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: New York, NY
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- Kenneth Jay Lane Huge "Jacqueline Kennedy" Inspired "Star" BroochBy Kenneth Jay LaneLocated in New York, NYKenneth Jay Lane's wonderfully detailed huge Jacqueline Kennedy inspired "Star" brooch inlayed in gilded silver hardware measures 2 1/2" x 2 1/2". Each petal overlays each o...Category
1970s American Wallets and Small Accessories
- Kenneth Jay Lane Gilded Gold Floral Necklace with AttachmentBy Kenneth Jay LaneLocated in New York, NYKenneth Jay Lane, who recently left us, created this wonderful elegant and adjustable gilded gold hardware floral necklace comes with an additional floral piece if needed to lengthen...Category
1980s American Other
- Kenneth Jay Lane Steel Gray with Gold Accent SeaShell BroochBy Kenneth Jay LaneLocated in New York, NYKenneth Jay Lane, who recently left us, created this wonderfully whimsical and elegant Sea Shell in steel-gray accented with gold studs brooch measures 2 1/2" in length, height ...Category
1980s American Miscellaneous
- Burmese No Heat Star Ruby and Diamond BroochLocated in New York, NYAn impressive brooch, set with with five burmese, no heat, star ruby cabochons and seventy round brilliant-cut diamonds, thirteen princess-cut diamonds, and thirteen baguettes, set i...Category
20th Century American BroochesMaterials
Diamond, Ruby, Platinum$20,000Free Shipping
- Tiffany & Co. Tourmaline and Diamond 'Butterfly' Pendant-BroochBy Tiffany & Co.Located in New York, NYTiffany & Co. Tourmaline and Diamond 'Butterfly' Pendant-Brooch Designed as a butterfly, set with round and oval shaped diamonds, and round and pear shaped tourmalines, . Mounting ...Category
Late 20th Century Artist BroochesMaterials
Diamond, Tourmaline, Platinum
- Retro Color Diamond BroochLocated in New York, NYCirca 1940's. Antique yellow and white diamond Diamond Clip-Brooch. This brooch features scrolled design encrusted with total of approximately 9.55 carats of old Euro cut diamonds a...Category
Vintage 1940s British Artist BroochesMaterials
Diamond, 18k Gold$29,750Free Shipping
- Important Natural Pearl and Diamond NecklaceLocated in London, GBAn important natural pearl and diamond necklace, the six hundred and sixty eight pearls accompanied by SSEF Report 90383 stating to be natural of saltwater origin, strung to five row...Category
Antique Late 19th Century British Late Victorian Multi-Strand NecklacesMaterials
Diamond, Natural Pearl, Yellow Gold, Silver
- Van Cleef & Arpels Diamond and Ebony Wood Brooch FrenchBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in New York, NYVan Cleef & Arpels diamond and ebony wood brooch in 18k white gold. The wings made of ebony wood panels, accented by scattered around the edges bezel set round brilliant cut diamond...Category
Late 20th Century French Artist BroochesMaterials
18k Gold$25,000Free Shipping
- Kenneth Jay Lane KJL Black Beaded Panther Cat Choker NecklaceBy Kenneth Jay LaneLocated in Sausalito, CAFabulous 8-strand black beaded choker necklace featuring a leopard head with green rhinestone eyes. Well-constructed with nice heavy weight.Category
Vintage 1980s Unknown Art Deco Multi-Strand Necklaces$498Free Shipping
- K.J. Lane Wood Beaded Choker Necklace< Costume JewelryBy Kenneth Jay LaneLocated in Stamford, CTChic 60's large goldtone buckle design wood bead choker. Adjusts from 11.75" to 14.75".Category
Vintage 1960s American Choker Necklaces$315Free Shipping
- KJL Kenneth Jay Lane Statement Bib Necklace and Clip-on Dangle EarringsBy Kenneth Jay LaneLocated in Plainsboro, NJFit for Queen is Signed Kenneth Lane Statement necklace and matching clip-on earrings featuring linked gold plated flowers with clear crystals and ribbed emerald green glass cabs ce...Category
1990s American Choker NecklacesMaterials
- 18 Karat Flora Pink Gold Necklace With Vs-Gh DiamondsBy HuebLocated in New York, NY18 Karat Flora Pink Gold Necklace With Vs-Gh DiamondsCategory
2010s Indian Contemporary Pendant NecklacesMaterials
Diamond, Gold, Rose Gold$3,200 Sale Price20% OffFree Shipping
- 18 Karat Flora Yellow Gold Necklace With Vs-Gh DiamondsBy HuebLocated in New York, NY18 Karat Flora Yellow Gold Necklace With Vs-Gh DiamondsCategory
2010s Indian Contemporary Pendant NecklacesMaterials
Diamond, Yellow Gold$3,200 Sale Price20% OffFree Shipping
- 7 Carat Diamond Heart and Diamond NecklaceLocated in Miami, FLBreathtaking heart pendant and necklace, custom made in platinum, featuring 68 round brilliant cut diamonds and 2 baguettes, weighing approximately 7 carats total, G color, VS clarit...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Modern Pendant NecklacesMaterials
Diamond, Platinum$12,000Free Shipping
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery