Pablo PicassoLa femme au tambourin
About the Item
- Creator:Pablo Picasso (1881-1973, Spanish)
- Creation Year:1939
- Dimensions:Height: 30.13 in (76.54 cm)Width: 22.38 in (56.85 cm)
- More Editions & Sizes:Edition 6/30Price: $1,600,000
- Movement & Style:
- Gallery Location:Palm Desert, CA
- Reference Number:Seller: 448211stDibs: LU9313033562
One of the most prolific and revolutionary artists the world has ever seen, Pablo Picasso had a tremendous impact on the development of 20th-century modern art. Although he is best known for his association with the Cubist movement, which he founded with Georges Braque, Picasso’s influence extends to Surrealism, neoclassicism and Expressionism.
“Every act of creation is, first of all, an act of destruction,” the Spanish artist proclaimed. In Picasso's Cubist paintings, he emphasizes the two-dimensionality of the canvas, breaking with conventions regarding perspective, foreshortening and proportion. Picasso was inspired by Iberian and African tribal art. One of his most famous pre-Cubist works is Les Demoiselles d’Avignon (1907), a painting considered immoral and shocking at the time for its depiction of nude women whose faces resemble Iberian tribal masks.
Picasso made many portraits in this style, most often of the women in his life, their expressively colored faces composed of geometric shards of surface planes. In Woman in a Hat (Olga), 1935, he painted his first wife as an assemblage of abstract forms, leaving the viewer to decipher the subject through the contrasting colors and shapes. Picasso was a tireless artist, creating more than 20,000 paintings, drawings, prints, ceramics and sculptures. Tracing his life’s work reveals the progression of modern art, on which he had an unparalleled influence.
Browse an expansive collection of Pablo Picasso's art on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Palm Desert, CA
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 7 days of delivery.
- Femme assise en pyjama de plageBy Pablo PicassoLocated in Palm Desert, CA"Femme assise en pyjama de plage" is a linocut by Pablo Picasso. It is edition 47/100. The work is signed in the lower right, "Picasso". The framed size is 23 1/4 x 18 5/8 x 1 1/2 in...Category
Mid-20th Century Surrealist Abstract PrintsMaterials
- Frontispiece from" A la Pintura"By Robert MotherwellLocated in Palm Desert, CAA print by Robert Motherwell. "Frontispiece from 'A la Pintura'" is an aquatint executed in blue and brown and depicts the writing A la Pintura below a small blue rectangle by Post War artist Robert Motherwell. Signed lower right, in ink, "Robert Motherwell 1972...Category
1970s Post-War Figurative PrintsMaterials
- Buste au Corsage à CarreauxBy Pablo PicassoLocated in Palm Desert, CA"Buste au Corsage à Carreaux" is a lithograph by Pablo Picasso from 1957. It is number 46 from an edition of 50. The work is signed and dated in pencil, lower right, "Picasso 23.3.63...Category
Mid-20th Century Surrealist Figurative PrintsMaterials
- Jan Asselyn, PainterBy Rembrandt van RijnLocated in Palm Desert, CA"Jan Asselyn, Painter" is an etching by Rembrandt van Rijn. The etching is signed in plate, lower right, "Rembrandt". The etching depicts fellow Dutch Golden Age painter Jan Asselijn. The framed work measures 22 5/8 x 20 5/8 x 1 1/2 in. A prolific painter, draftsman, and etcher, Rembrandt van Rijn is usually regarded as the greatest artist of Holland’s “Golden Age.” He worked first in his native Leiden and, from 1632 onward, in Amsterdam, where he had studied briefly (ca. 1624) with the influential history painter Pieter Lastman. Rembrandt never went abroad, but he voraciously surveyed the work of Northern artists who had lived in Italy, like Lastman, the Utrecht painter Gerrit van Honthorst (Rembrandt’s main link to Caravaggio), Anthony van Dyck, and—mostly through prints—Adam Elsheimer and Peter Paul Rubens. In the Leiden period, Rembrandt also responded strongly to earlier Netherlandish artists such as Lucas van Leyden (ca. 1494–1533). However, a crucial aspect of Rembrandt’s development was his intense study of people, objects, and their surroundings “from life,” as is obvious in paintings like his early self-portraits and the Saint Paul in Prison of 1627 (Staatsgalerie, Stuttgart). Even by Dutch standards, Rembrandt’s preoccupation with direct observation was exceptional and continued throughout his career. Despite the constant evolution of his style, Rembrandt’s compelling descriptions of light, space, atmosphere, modeling, texture, and human situations may be traced back even from his late works (such as The Jewish Bride, Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam) to the foundations of his Leiden years. It was also this program, in good part, that made Rembrandt a great teacher. His many pupils included Gerrit Dou, Govert Flinck, Ferdinand Bol...Category
17th Century Old Masters Portrait PrintsMaterials
Laid Paper, Etching
- UntitledBy Josef AlbersLocated in Palm Desert, CAAn abstract screen print by Post War artist Josef Albers. Signed lower right, "Albers '72". Editioned lower left, "LC 134/144".Category
1970s Post-War Abstract PrintsMaterials
- Snapshot OdysseyBy Jane HammondLocated in Palm Desert, CAA color lithograph, digital, chine colle collage by contemporary artist Jane Hammond. "Snapshot Odyssey" depicts a collection of black and white snap shots along a winding board game...Category
2010s Contemporary Abstract PrintsMaterials
- TriptychBy Francis BaconLocated in New York, NYVery good, well-inked impressions of these three color aquatints with etching on one sheet of Guarro paper. Signed and numbered 58/99 in pencil by Bacon. Printed and published by Pol...Category
1980s Surrealist Abstract PrintsMaterials
Color, Etching, Aquatint
- Plate VI, Le Cocu MagnifiqueBy Pablo PicassoLocated in Fairlawn, OHUnsigned as usual From the unsigned edition of 200 impressions printed on Rives BFK paper There is also a signed edition of 30 impressions The set of 12 etching & aquatints is sig...Category
1960s Surrealist Figurative PrintsMaterials
- De trace de pas de trace de…By Roberto MattaLocated in Fairlawn, OHSigned in pencil lower right Color etching with aquatint From: Monsour and Matta, Les Damnations, 1966 (11 plates, this one of 7 hors text images) Edition: 85 portfolios in the re...Category
1960s Surrealist Abstract PrintsMaterials
- Ernst Fuchs Jesus Crucifixion Aquatint Vienna Fantastic Realism Austria 1972By Ernst FuchsLocated in Meinisberg, CHErnst Fuchs (Austrian, 1930 - 2015) Jesus speaking from the cross A rare Artist proof sheet from the Folio “Jean Paul. Die Rede des toten Christus vom Weltgebaude herab, dass kein Gott sei”, published in 1972 by Propyläen, Berlin, Germany. • Aquatint etching on French Arches paper (watermarked) • Sheet ca. 57 x 38 cm • Plate, ca. 24.7 x 19.7 cm • Signed bottom right • Inscribed in pencil bottom left: IV/XX E. A. (Print No. 4 out a run of twenty, Épreuve d'artiste (Artist’s proof) Ernst Fuchs was an Austrian painter...Category
1970s Surrealist Abstract PrintsMaterials
Archival Paper, Aquatint, Ink
- Seven Sculpture Ideas I - ETCHING, AQUATINT and ROULETTE in TEN COLORSBy Henry MooreLocated in Rancho Santa Fe, CASeven Sculpture Ideas I (Cramer 589) Etching, aquatint and roulette in 10 colors, 1982, on Arches, signed in pencil. From the numbered edition of 50. Published by The Raymond Spence...Category
1980s Surrealist Abstract PrintsMaterials
Archival Paper, Etching, Aquatint
- LA SORCIERE - (The Witch)By Kurt SeligmannLocated in Santa Monica, CAKURT SELIGMANN (1900–1962 American, born in Switzerland,) LA SORCIERE - (The Witch) 1934 Etching and aquatint, unsigned ? possibly a proof aside from The ...Category
1930s Surrealist Figurative PrintsMaterials
- Backstage Balmain Floral Shawl, 1954By Mark ShawLocated in New York, NYBackstage Balmain Floral Shawl -- Backstage at the 1954 Pierre Balmain Couture show. Image size is 10" x 15" (for 11" x 17" paper size). All Mark Shaw pr...Category
1950s Modern Color PhotographyMaterials
- Pierluigi Spadolini for 1P 'Boccio' Dining or Center Table in Red ResinBy Pierluigi SpadoliniLocated in Waalwijk, NLPierluigi Spadolini for 1P, 'Boccio' dining table, polyurethane resin, Italy, 1972 This dining or center table is designed by Italian architect and designer (1922-2000) Pierluigi ...Category
Vintage 1970s Italian Mid-Century Modern Dining Room TablesMaterials
- Contemporary Gaetano Pesce Nugget XXL Vase Resin Clear BlueLocated in barasso, ITNugget vase, clear blue. Vase in soft resin designed by Gaetano Pesce in 1995 for Fish Design collection. Measures: XXL - ø 36cm x H 70cm Colours: clear blue. Other sizes available....Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Arts and Crafts VasesMaterials
- Verdura Gold Beehive Watch Charm BraceletBy VerduraLocated in Palm Beach, FLVerdura 18kt yellow gold rope-twist link bracelet with beehive motif watch charm pendant in 18k yellow gold. The watch pendant measures 25 x 20mm. White lacquered watch dial with "VEDURA" in black and gold dot...Category
2010s Unknown Modern Wrist WatchesMaterials
Yellow Gold, Gold, 18k GoldFree Shipping
- Lladró Equus Pedestal Bowl by Bodo SperleinBy Bodo Sperlein, LladroLocated in New York City, NYWhite glossy porcelain fountain designed by Bodo Sperlein from the Equus collection. This fountain is part of the Equus series, one of the most innovative and bold projects of Lladró...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Spanish Modern Decorative BowlsMaterials
Recently ViewedView All
Science Uncovers Hidden Truths behind Young Pablo Picasso’s Blue Period
From 1901 to 1904, Picasso limited his palette to bluish hues in producing some of his most famous early works. A new show looks at the recycled materials, hidden underpaintings, surprising influences and bohemian lifestyle that led to their creation.
Who Are the Most Popular Artists on 1stdibs?
Learn the stories of some of the world's most recognizable artworks and their makers.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery