Gucci Black Signature GG Canvas & Leather Belt Never Worn w/ Tags Unisex 1990s
About the Item
Long before trend-bucking creative director Alessandro Michele brought his hallucinatory “Utopian Fantasy” campaign to Gucci, it was a modest Italian leather shop. Today, it’s an internationally renowned luxury house with an iconic logo, and vintage Gucci clothing, handbags and shoes are among high fashion's most covetable goods.
Guccio Gucci (1881–1953) admired the stylish suitcases he saw wealthy guests arrive with at the Savoy Hotel in London, where he worked as a bellhop. So, in 1921, after a stint at Franzi, a luggage company in his hometown of Florence, he opened a leather goods shop of his own.
At first, Gucci’s Florence business specialized in equestrian accessories. But as its reputation flourished, particularly among the English aristocracy, so too did its footprint. In 1938, he brought three of his sons — Aldo, Vasco and Rodolfo — into the business and expanded it to Rome and later Milan. In the mid-1930s, a League of Nations embargo against Italy pushed Gucci to experiment with alternatives to imported leather. Its woven hemp fabric from Naples, adorned with the brand’s signature diamond print, was a hit, especially among A-list celebrities. The material was first used on suitcases before finding enduring popularity on handbags. (No list of revered designer purses would be complete without Gucci.)
In the 1950s, Elizabeth Taylor carried one of Gucci’s bamboo-handled tote bags, another adaptation to material rationing. After Jackie Kennedy was seen sporting a slouchy Gucci tote in 1961, it was renamed for the First Lady. Then Grace Kelly, on a visit to the boutique in Milan, inspired Rodolfo Gucci to work with Italian illustrator and Gucci textile designer Vittorio Accornero on the Flora print in 1966. Taking cues from Sandro Botticelli’s Primavera, with its pattern of flora and insects, it was painted entirely by hand and featured no fewer than 37 colors.
In 1953, just 15 days after opening his first store on New York’s 5th Avenue, Guccio passed away at 72. The early 1970s saw store openings in Tokyo and Hong Kong, but by the late 1980s, Gucci was floundering. Rodolfo Gucci took charge in 1982, but family drama and lawsuits ensued. In 1993, Rodolfo’s son, Maurizio, transferred his shares in the company to Investcorp, ending the family’s involvement in Gucci. Dawn Mello, then-president of Bergdorf Goodman, joined as creative director in 1989. But it was Tom Ford, who took over as creative director in 1994, who ultimately revived the brand.
Ford’s racy ads, shot by photographers such as Mario Testino, stirred controversy. And his potent vision of sexed-up femininity — with “jewel-toned satin shirts unbuttoned to there,” as Vogue described his breakthrough 1995 runway show — was wildly successful. The new millennium brought new ownership — Pinault Printemps Redoute in 2004 — and a more toned-down vision from Frida Giannini, who became sole creative director in 2006. Alessandro Michele was named creative director in 2015, and the storied brand took a giant leap forward.
Find vintage Gucci clothing and accessories on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Wallkill, NY
- Return PolicyThis item cannot be returned.
- Sterling Silver turquoise Old Pawn petit point Concho belt VMBLocated in Wallkill, NYMassive Petit Point Sterling Silver Concho Belt 10 concho's and the belt buckle. This is a beautiful vintage Turquoise Petit Point belt mad...Category
1960s American Belts
- Sterling Silver Southwestern Zuni Inlaid Belt Buckle L H Zunie TurquoiseBy Helen and Lincoln ZunieLocated in Wallkill, NYSterling Silver Southwestern Belt, made by L H Zunie- This is all handmade by the famed silversmith team Specializing in inlay, Lincoln and Helen Zuni stamped their work with H-L ZUN...Category
1970s American Belts
- Sterling Silver Zuni Moose INLAY Belt Buckle PORFILIO ANN SHEYKA Native AmericanBy PORFILIO & ANN SHEYKALocated in Wallkill, NYStunning Sterling Silver belt buckle handmade with amazing inlay work Belt buckle measures 2.95 in x 2.06 in . We have other pieces by them as well Porfilio and Ann Sheyka started w...Category
1960s American Belts
- Ciner Frog Belt Buckle / 2 Leather Belts Never Worn - 1990sBy CinerLocated in Wallkill, NYStill in the Neiman Marcus box, it came in over 25 years ago. 2 leather belts by Ciner with Frog Belt Buckles 36 in Long. They can be made as small as...Category
1990s American Belts
- Persian Enamel Belt Hand Painted Indo Art Tile Silver BeltLocated in Wallkill, NYStunning Hand Painted Tile Belt - Each tile with its silver frame measures 1 inch by 3/4 inch. Measures 29 in long - This rare estate piece is truly a "work of art". Please be sure t...Category
1940s Indonesian Belts
- Gucci Leather King Crown Belt New, Never Worn 1990sBy GucciLocated in Wallkill, NYRich brown leather with Red background material depicting a king's Crown. Labeled 85-34. Has Gold tone Hardware Measuring 1.15 inches wide. It's 35 inches long 1st belt hole at 31.5 ...Category
1990s Italian Belts
- Hermes Black/Gold Epsom and Chamonix Leather Belt Strap 90CMBy HermèsLocated in Dubai, Al Qouz 2The classic and one of the iconic styles from the house of Hermes is their belts which give this luxurious piece a multi-utility and versatile look. Crafted from leather, this belt s...Category
2010s French Belts
- Cartier Signature Burgundy Calfskin Leather BeltBy CartierLocated in New York, NYCartier's signature burgundy nameplate in burgundy accented with gold etching is combined with calfskin burgundy leather measures 1 1/4" in width and 35" in length. The buckle is in...Category
1980s French Belts
- Chanel Black Patent Leather Corset Belt Fall/Winter 2001 Size 36By ChanelLocated in Nice, FRCHANEL black patent lambskin leather corset belt from the Fall/Winter 2001 Ready-to-Wear Collection. This item features : - Black patent lambskin leather. - Black silk lining. - Bac...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Belts
- 1990's GIANNI VERSACE black leather belt with silver Medusa heads & Greek keyBy Gianni VersaceLocated in San Fransisco, CATextured black leather belt with Greek key stamping and cutouts with silver-tone Medusa heads designed by Gianni Versace dating to the 1990's. Belt is labeled a size 70. Belt holes f...Category
1990s French Belts
- Fendi Karl Lagerfeld Spring 2008 Mosaic leather Malchite & Lapis Statement BeltBy FendiLocated in Boca Raton, FLFendi spring 2008 Memphis style belt. Done in mosaic pieced leather with four large faceted cabochons in lapis, jasper, coral, and malachite. This belt is from look #16 on the runway...Category
Early 2000s French Belts
- Louis Vuitton Brown Alligator LV Gold Tone Logo BeltBy Louis VuittonLocated in Paris, FRIn very good condition, Louis Vuitton belt, with the iconic LV logo. With gold tone hardware. Dimensions 102 x 3 cm. Dimensions from first to last hole 75 cm - 86 cm. Engraved insi...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Belts
Recently ViewedView All
Explore a Century of Gucci Fashion in London
The iconic Italian label’s traveling exhibition has just arrived in London.
The Stories behind the Most Famous Luxury Fashion Logos
From Chanel to YSL, the logos of some legacy fashion houses spark instant brand recognition and have come to symbolize a kind of luxury that feels at once aspirational and attainable.