1950 Miss Dior Created By Christian Dior Black Satin Jet Beaded Cloche
About the Item
When Christian Dior launched his couture house, in 1946, he wanted nothing less than to make “an elegant woman more beautiful and a beautiful woman more elegant.” He succeeded, and in doing so the visionary designer altered the landscape of 20th century fashion.
Dior was born in Granville, on the Normandy coast, in 1905. His prosperous haute bourgeois parents wanted him to become a diplomat despite his interest in art and architecture. However, they agreed to bankroll an art gallery, which Dior opened in 1928 in Paris with a friend.
This was the start of Dior’s rise in the city’s creative milieu, where he befriended Pablo Picasso and Jean Cocteau. After seven years as an art dealer, Dior retrained as a fashion illustrator, eventually landing a job as a fashion designer for Robert Piguet, and in 1941, following a year of military service, he joined the house of Lucien Lelong. Just five years later, with the backing of industrialist Marcel Boussac, the ascendant Dior established his own fashion house, at 30 avenue Montaigne in Paris.
Just two years after the end of World War II, the fashion crowd and the moribund haute couture industry were yearning, comme tout Paris, for security and prosperity, desperate to discard the drab, sexless, utilitarian garb imposed by wartime deprivation. They needed to dream anew.
And Dior delivered: He designed a collection for a bright, optimistic future. “It’s quite a revolution, dear Christian!” exclaimed Carmel Snow, the prescient American editor-in-chief of Harper’s Bazaar, famously proclaiming, “Your dresses have such a new look.” The press ran with the description, christening Dior’s debut Spring/Summer haute couture collection the New Look. “God help those who bought before they saw Dior,” said Snow. “This changes everything.”
Dior’s collection definitively declared that opulence, luxury and femininity were in. His skirts could have 40-meter-circumference hems, and outfits could weigh up to 60 pounds. They were cut and shaped like architecture, on strong foundations that molded women and “freed them from nature,” Dior said. Rather than rationing, his ladies wanted reams of fabric and 19-inch waists enforced by wire corsets, and the fashion world concurred. The debut got a standing ovation.
In the subsequent decade, Paris ruled as the undisputed fashion capital of the world, and Christian Dior reigned as its king. With the luxuriously full skirts of his New Look, suits and his drop-dead gorgeous evening dresses and ball gowns worthy of any princess, Dior gave women the gift of glamour they’d lost in the miserable years of war.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Gresham, OR
- Return PolicyThis item cannot be returned.
- 1950 Christian Dior Chapeaux Black Feather Turban W/ Velvet Applique DetailsBy Christian DiorLocated in Gresham, OR1950s Christian Dior Chapeaux black feather tufted turban with velvet triangle applique details. Satin band and a tulle structured crown are co...Category
1950s French Hats
- 1960s Schiaparelli Paris Mod Zebra Striped Fedora w/ Eyelet and Lacing Details.By SchiaparelliLocated in Gresham, ORA striking 1960s Mod Schiaparelli Paris zebra striped fur felt narrow-brimmed fedora with gold-tone eyelet and cord lacing details. Size Small.Category
1960s French Hats
- 1947 Maud et Nano Spectacular Black Felt Platter Hat w/ Lavish Ostrich PlumeLocated in Gresham, ORA spectacular late 1940s Maud et Nano black felt platter hat with lavish stacked ostrich plumes creating a degree of lushness not often seen. It's no surpr...Category
1940s French Hats
- 1930 Lilly Dache Paris Black Spiral Horsehair Ribbon Picture Hat & Wire BrimBy Lilly DachéLocated in Gresham, OR1930s Lilly Dache - Paris black horsehair spiral ribbon cloche hat with wide wired brim. Fits down low and close to the head for a sculpted silhouette. Bri...Category
1930s American Hats
- 1950 Schiaparelli Black Horsehair Braided Dome Hat W/BowsBy Schiaparelli, Elsa SchiaparelliLocated in Gresham, OR1950 Schiaparelli hat is completely constructed of layers of black horsehair swirls of ribbon creating a dome-like design. This unusual domed hat is ...Category
1950s American Hats
- 1960 Christian Dior By Marc Bohan Black Feather & Quill Structured Cocktail HatBy Christian Dior, Marc BohanLocated in Gresham, ORA gorgeous 1960s Christian Dior hat by Marc Bohan: A structured turban-style cocktail hat covered in iridescent blue pheasant feathers is enhanced by cri...Category
1960s French Hats
- Gucci Black Rabbit Fur Logo Charm HatBy GucciLocated in Scottsdale, AZAn early 2000's gem you can't pass up! A Gucci hat is a no-brainer to add to your wardrobe. This is a beautiful red rabbit fur bucket-hat style featuring a black strap with a gold buckle saying 'GUCCI' adorning the side. It would look great with a Yves Saint Laurent blouse, an Escada blazer, and some Chanel...Category
Early 2000s Italian Hats
- Hermes Wool Fisherman HatBy HermèsLocated in Scottsdale, AZCommand your wardrobe with this Hermes Wool Fisherman hat. This wool silk blend hat is perfect for winter and fall festivities. It will offer you the warmth and comfort you need for the winter months without sacrificing you any style points. Pair with your favorite Chanel tweed or Ysl trench coat...Category
20th Century French Hats
- Black Hermes Bucket HatBy HermèsLocated in Scottsdale, AZAdjustable to your liking, this hat is great for any weather. During fall is the perfect time to add some spice into your wardrobe. Since the black bucket hat can be worn many different ways, it is an amazing piece to have. From a YSL blazer to Chanel sundress...Category
20th Century French Hats
- STEPHEN JONES for MARC JACOBS Size M/L Black Wool HatsBy Marc Jacobs, Stephen JonesLocated in San Francisco, CASTEPHEN JONES for MARC JACOBS hat comes in a black wool featuring a baseball style, front brim, and a elastic strap. New with tags. Marked: M/L Mea...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Hats
- FENDI Ski HelmetBy FendiLocated in Paris, FRTribute to Karl Lagerfeld, who has worked for Maison Fendi since 1965. Polymer helmet, multicolored, adjustable. Spy inspiration. It complies with and is approved by European standard E N 1077.2008 and 89/686. Its use is exclusively reserved for alpine skiing, snowboarding, sledding, ski jumping and grass skiing. The size is adjustable from 52 to 55. Made in Italy, this XXS / XS ski helmet...Category
2010s Italian Other
- Pelush Black Hood With Faux Fur Fox Trim and Swarovski Crystals - SmallBy Pelush - Luxury Faux FursLocated in Greenwich, CTThe Tamara Pelush black hood with faux fur fox trim and Swarovski crystals is a one of a kind exclusive piece. Featuring the highest quality man made pelage this original fur free ho...Category
21st Century and Contemporary American Hoods
Recently ViewedView All
Too Soon for the Return of ’90s Fashion? As If
There's a renewed appreciation for the era's aesthetic, perhaps most notably among millennials seeking authentic, easy style.
14 Iconic Luxury Handbags and the Stories behind Them
When the name of a bag is as well-known as its brand, you know it's a classic.