- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Christian Dior 1960's Feather and Tulle Turban
About the Item
- Style:1960's (Of the Period)
- Place of Origin:
- Seller Location:Scottsdale, AZ
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU167218283632
When Christian Dior launched his couture house, in 1946, he wanted nothing less than to make “an elegant woman more beautiful and a beautiful woman more elegant.” He succeeded, and in doing so the visionary designer altered the landscape of 20th century fashion.
Dior was born in Granville, on the Normandy coast, in 1905. His prosperous haute bourgeois parents wanted him to become a diplomat despite his interest in art and architecture. However, they agreed to bankroll an art gallery, which Dior opened in 1928 in Paris with a friend.
This was the start of Dior’s rise in the city’s creative milieu, where he befriended Pablo Picasso and Jean Cocteau. After seven years as an art dealer, Dior retrained as a fashion illustrator, eventually landing a job as a fashion designer for Robert Piguet, and in 1941, following a year of military service, he joined the house of Lucien Lelong. Just five years later, with the backing of industrialist Marcel Boussac, the ascendant Dior established his own fashion house, at 30 avenue Montaigne in Paris.
Just two years after the end of World War II, the fashion crowd and the moribund haute couture industry were yearning, comme tout Paris, for security and prosperity, desperate to discard the drab, sexless, utilitarian garb imposed by wartime deprivation. They needed to dream anew.
And Dior delivered: He designed a collection for a bright, optimistic future. “It’s quite a revolution, dear Christian!” exclaimed Carmel Snow, the prescient American editor-in-chief of Harper’s Bazaar, famously proclaiming, “Your dresses have such a new look.” The press ran with the description, christening Dior’s debut Spring/Summer haute couture collection the New Look. “God help those who bought before they saw Dior,” said Snow. “This changes everything.”
Dior’s collection definitively declared that opulence, luxury and femininity were in. His skirts could have 40-meter-circumference hems, and outfits could weigh up to 60 pounds. They were cut and shaped like architecture, on strong foundations that molded women and “freed them from nature,” Dior said. Rather than rationing, his ladies wanted reams of fabric and 19-inch waists enforced by wire corsets, and the fashion world concurred. The debut got a standing ovation.
In the subsequent decade, Paris ruled as the undisputed fashion capital of the world, and Christian Dior reigned as its king. With the luxuriously full skirts of his New Look, suits and his drop-dead gorgeous evening dresses and ball gowns worthy of any princess, Dior gave women the gift of glamour they’d lost in the miserable years of war.
On 1stDibs, find an exquisite range of vintage Christian Dior clothing, jewelry, handbags and other items.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Scottsdale, AZ
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
- Hermés Fedora HatBy HermèsLocated in Scottsdale, AZFor the ultimate Hermés lover! Circa 21st century, this beautifully structured fedora is crafted from ultra soft rabbit felt with a rouge red finish. Arou...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Hats$1,100
- Hermés "Le Soleil Royal" Silk TurbanBy HermèsLocated in Scottsdale, AZElevate all your looks with this amazing Hermés turban! Circa late 20th century, this scarf turned into a turban features a motif designed by Pierre Péro...Category
Late 20th Century French Hats
- Tom Ford for Yves Saint Laurent Black Leather Flight CapBy Tom Ford for Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Scottsdale, AZStraight from the Tom Ford archives! Circa 2003 from YSL's S/S collection, this flight cap is crafted from a shiny smooth black patient leather and is lined...Category
Early 2000s Italian Hats
- Hermés 1970s Astrology Bucket HatBy HermèsLocated in Scottsdale, AZFor every Hermés lover! Circa 1970s, this bucket hat features the recognizable astrology motif designed by Francoise Faconnet and a band around the base of the crown. Created in 1963, the astrology motif was rereleased various times throughout the 1970s, 1980s and early 2000s, and “. . . is a fascinating interpretation of a 400-year-old celestial charting...Category
1970s French Hats
- Yves Saint Laurent Headscarf Hat, 1960sBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Scottsdale, AZYour perfect summer hat has arrived- with our amazing 1960s Yves Saint Laurent headscarf hat! Woven straw brim with purple and green stitching. Wrapped with blue, violet and green st...Category
1960s French Hats
- Bottega Veneta Straw Beret HatLocated in Scottsdale, AZIf you're a lover of Beret's than this is one to add to your collection. 1980's Bottega Veneta Beret straw hat featured with a metallic silver/white leather tassel. Dead stock with original tags. The perfect cap to style with your Chanel outfit and YSL handbag...Category
Late 20th Century Berets
- Dolce & Gabbana Beige Raffia Floral Sun Hat Panama Beachwear Flower DG LogoBy Dolce & GabbanaLocated in WELWYN, GBGorgeous brand new with tags 100% Authentic Dolce & Gabbana Hat Model: Floral Bucket Hat Color: Beige Material: 100% Raffia Logo Details Made in Italy SIZE: Tag size 57 / ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Hats
- Poiret Directoire Style Raffia BonnetLocated in New York, NYPoiret directoire style raffia cap with Martine style floral wreath embroideries. Although perceived of as a night bonnet, these were usually worn with late afternoon empire styled dresses...Category
Early 20th Century French Edwardian Hats
- Mr John Black Transitional Straw Cartwheel Sun Hat w Plaid Scarf Band – M, 1960sBy Mr John ClassicLocated in Tucson, AZA true transitional piece, this hat can take you from season to season thanks to its tight weave and dark color. The fixed scarf adds the bit of French flair for which the milliner was beloved. Straw basketweave sun hat with rolled brim trimmed in grosgrain ribbon; black and white scarf...Category
1960s American Hats
- Dolce & Gabbana Beige Raffia Floral Sun Hat Panama Beachwear Flower DG LogoBy Dolce & GabbanaLocated in WELWYN, GBGorgeous brand new with tags 100% Authentic Dolce & Gabbana Hat Model: Floral Bucket Hat Color: Beige Material: 100% Raffia Logo Details Made in Italy SIZE: Tag size 58 ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Hats
- Navy Hole-Punched Straw Wide Brimmed Sun Hat, Oh La La! - Small, 1950sBy Lonette OriginalsLocated in Tucson, AZIn impossible-to-find dark navy, this extra wide brimmed sun hat would a holy grail even WITHOUT the ultra-chic diamond voids in the brim. With them,...Category
1950s American Hats
- Victorian Black Velvet and Silk Rose Mourning Bonnet w Velvet Ties - O/S, 1880sLocated in Tucson, AZWorn during the Victorian lady’s two-year mourning period, this petite hat telegraphed propriety and solemnity without sacrificing style. Featuring a stiff skullcap adorned with silk velvet bows and gathers, it is accentuated by silk ribbon roses. Best of all, despite its small size it can be perched on the head without the use of hat pins thanks to its velvet bonnet ties. Stiff Victorian half hat...Category
1880s Unknown Hats
Recently ViewedView More
Too Soon for the Return of ’90s Fashion? As If
There's a renewed appreciation for the era's aesthetic, perhaps most notably among millennials seeking authentic, easy style.
14 Iconic Luxury Handbags and the Stories behind Them
When the name of a bag is as well-known as its brand, you know it's a classic.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery